3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tahr and chamois quest 2013  (Read 9745 times)

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
Re: tahr and chamois quest 2013
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2013, 05:47:00 PM »
Do you guys recommend the trekking poles? Always thought of getting maybe one for those steep climbs...

AK.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »
Those boulders look awesome. Looks like a neat trip, thanks for the pics.  What are the temps like ?
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2013, 05:05:00 AM »
Al,
absolutely we recommend trekking poles. i'd pack it before my bow. it gets more use. HA HA.
they allow you to set you foot down with control instead of taking a step and hoping you don't slip or having a rock move etc. especially with heavy packs on.

bear with me guys. photobucket doesn't seem to be loading my pics. just says it's loading for hours on end with no result. hopefully mark can keep the thread ticking along.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2013, 11:33:00 AM »
Waiting for more, Clint! Looks like a great adventure already, and the hunting has not even started yet.

Bisch

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »
Clint & Mark,
Thanks for sharing this adventure! This is Hard Core Hunting for sure. Can't wait for more.

PS. I am using imgur instead of photobucket and so far very pleased.Might want to try.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline tomcat8910

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »
I keep looking for updates!

Offline Marksman Quivers

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Premium Custom Quivers
    • MARKSMAN QUIVERS
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2013, 06:01:00 AM »
After our fern camp we set of again up the creek not knowing what obstacles lay ahead.
And obstacles there were a plenty!!!!!

We made ok progress, then the creek gorged out becoming impassable waterfalls, we started to try and negotiate through them but the reality soon kicked in that it would be a suicide mission.
We decided to take the next best option, a small side creek/slip which was going the same way we were heading ....up.

After climbing to the top of the slip where it entered the bush we decided that's where we were going to have to go. It was even a struggle just getting out of this sheer sided creek and into the bush with a full pack on.
One saving grace at this point was that I filled my water bladder up with 3 litres of crystal clear h20, this would be our only water for the next 1.5 days.

We had to put our crampons into use at this point on the loose leaf litter and sliding wet mud, they instantly warranted the cost and 600 grams(1.33 lbs) of weight they added to our packs.

Looking down.

As we were on a knife edge spur with sides heading straight down to the rocky creek below, the chances of stopping with a loaded pack pulling you down would be pretty slim. the photos don't do it justice. it was quite fatiguing mentally and physically.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2013, 09:34:00 AM »
Some rough stuff!!!

Hope it opens up a bit for you???

:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2013, 09:48:00 AM »
Cool adventure, keep it coming!
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2013, 10:53:00 AM »
Holy Cow Batman - CRAMPONS - to get up the hill!

:saywhat:    

Keep it comin'!

This is AWESOME stuff!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
Keep it coming, fellas!

"The photos don't do it justice."  That's the truth! That westland country is formidible and intimidating...and soggy! I'm suprised to hear you fellas had trouble finding water in the westland! Takes a ton of effort to get anywhere in that bush.  You really have to see it to believe it!

Which Kifaru tarp/tent did you guys utilize? Did you like it/how did it perform? Considering buying or sewing up a similar one of those myself. Looking forward to the rest!!

Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2013, 07:43:00 PM »
You guys are doing a great job so far, Keep it up.  Great Photos.    :campfire:    :coffee:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
Great photos, guys.  I never remember to take photos of the journey, but that's really the way to tell the story.  Thanks for taking the time to stop and snap a few.

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
Better you guys than me!!!!! Tuned in and waiting for  more.

Bisch

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2013, 05:28:00 AM »
mark has my pics on CD now. he will post them for me till i get them going myself again.

the instant we put the crampons on and started climbing we both looked at each other and without saying a word knew that the other guy was thinking, "why haven't we used these before?" and "i'll will never come here again without these!"
i love crampons!
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »
Know what you mean, i remember thinking the same first time i used them, felt like i could walk up a wall. Great Post Clint, looking forward to it paning out.
Hunting was hazardous, but at least it guaranteed the freedom of the individual.

There is no doubt that the onset of farming saw the end of leasure for the majority of people, who were destined to toil in the fields.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
That terrain is just incredible.....it's like watching a hunting show and Lord of the Rings at the same time!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Marksman Quivers

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Premium Custom Quivers
    • MARKSMAN QUIVERS
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2013, 05:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by mmgrode:

Which Kifaru tarp/tent did you guys utilize? Did you like it/how did it perform? Considering buying or sewing up a similar one of those myself. Looking forward to the rest!!

Cheers, Matt
Hi Matt, We were using my SuperTarp, it is a very flexible shelter you will see all through this story the different combinations we used it in, and if you were to add the annex to it you can make it even more usable in cold weather plus you can add a stove  :)  .

Im glad I took it with me as we would not have been able to put our tent up in any of the locations during our journey to the tops.
Cheers
Mark.

Offline Marksman Quivers

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Premium Custom Quivers
    • MARKSMAN QUIVERS
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2013, 02:09:00 AM »
I have loaded some of Clintons pics on to Photobucket now, so lets continue the adventure.
(I will initial his photos, credit where credits due)

CM.

The higher we climbed the denser and lower the scrub got.
It became awkward as there was still room to move between the trunks, But the tops of the trees started to become intertwined.
This was causing us to constantly be ducking and with a fully loaded high pack on this meant almost dropping to your knees.

Just before we stopped here for a bite to eat we had to remove our packs and drag them through a particularly thick section so instead of put them back on we stopped for lunch.

CM

CM

Then started the 3 hour death crawl............The bush got lower, so we had to follow suit and do the same.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2013, 05:19:00 AM »
need knee crampons next year.

this is day 3 now. the previous year it took us 3 days and we were camped at the tops. it seemed like we were going nowhere.

it was pretty mentally draining bashing through that sub alpine scrub but hunting tahr and chamois in the alpine never ceases to give me the motivation to get to the tops.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©