3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: JD Berry "Vixen" or "Misty Dawn"  (Read 789 times)

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
JD Berry "Vixen" or "Misty Dawn"
« on: June 21, 2013, 05:02:00 AM »
looking for a tradional D-type bow with wood arrow set-up to hunt MD & NC this season and leaning towards the misty dawn but which model would you get if you had one choice,,  also I have a 27" draw with a straight grip and if it was hill it be 68" so if you have shot one of these Berrys and have a length opinion please let me know.
"Us vs Them"

Online Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: JD Berry "Vixen" or "Misty Dawn"
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 07:45:00 AM »
I own both , along with a Berry Morningstar.
The MD and the Vixen both shoot fantastic. I cannot for the life of me really discern a difference between them when shooting them. They are both smooth, quiet, neither have any shock.  As far as length goes, 66" would work if you just wanted a little shorter bow, both of mine are 68".

If you are wanting to try a string follow bow , or you have in your head that they are more forgiving , then go for the Misty Dawn. BUT if you are even the slightest bit interested in maximizing performance why staying with a straightlimbed bow AND you want amazing forgiveness I HIGHLY recommend you read up on the Morningstar, talk to James and Ask a few of us who already own them.

I can promise you this much, whichever you chose, it will be a great choice because James does not put out a bad product.  Fit, finish, ease of shooting and performance are just impressive.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 08:01:00 AM »
Brian your saying 66" Morning star? don't think I saw that on his website is it reflex/defelx or straight and do you have pics?

Edited: I just saw it on there and it looks cool, but Im confused because the forward handle would mean shorter draw by way of limbs are further back and you'd lose a bit of FPS with this design right?  I like it though and its the price I wanted to spend and you shot all these bows and like that the best I might have to get one.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »
I got the chance to shoot the Vixen and the Morning star.. both were great!

I guess the truth of how much I was really impressed wass proven when I picked up the phone and ordered one of each...lol

Now it's just a matter of time!!!!!!!!

There are times I wish my parents had added the name "Patience" to mine...lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Online Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 09:00:00 AM »
Tajue,
Sorry , I should clarify. With 27" draw you should be fine with 66" in ANY of them.  
In theory, the forward handles have been said to be slower but James design is putting out speeds closer to mild D/r bows. It stunning and shocking when you are not expecting it.  

Call James today and ask him, he has some impressive experiences with it.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »
Ha ha I'm thinking about ordering two myself but a traditional style and a taipan for a shorter bow.
"Us vs Them"

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 03:37:00 PM »
I have a vixen great bow!
Arrow_Flynn

Offline emt137

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 03:51:00 PM »
Tajue - ive shot Brians Vixen & Misty Dawn. As someone who has experience with straight limb bows but doesnt prefer them (I like extreme hybrids...just my thing) I could tell the difference. It was slight and you would probably love either one. The Vixen was the faster of the two if that matters to you. It was very smooth and quite forgiving.  Brian and I shot the same arrows out of it (and he has like a 12" shorter draw length than I do) both with great results. I didnt notice any hand shock.

The Misty Down was very smooth also. I did notice a "softer" feel with the string follow, but it was also noticably slower. So it comes down to what youre wanting out of the bow & trade offs youre willing to make.

Were I to give up my hybrids JD Berry would be in my top 3 makers I would consider. I hope this helped you out.
"For man only stays human by preserving large patches of simplicity in his life, while the tendency of many modern inventions...is to weaken his consciousness, dull his curiosity, and, in general, drive him nearer to the animals." -George Orwell

Online Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »
Pat, just because I have short arms and a 3 year olds draw length doesn mean you need to tell everyone!! LOL

Offline emt137

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brianlocal3:
Pat, just because I have short arms and a 3 year olds draw length doesn mean you need to tell everyone!! LOL
You make it a point to tell everyone I have tiny hands just because I dont like a 2x4 as a grip. Fair is fair. Haha.
"For man only stays human by preserving large patches of simplicity in his life, while the tendency of many modern inventions...is to weaken his consciousness, dull his curiosity, and, in general, drive him nearer to the animals." -George Orwell

Online Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
Good call

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 07:42:00 PM »
Ive shot the vixen and misty dawn. Both are top notch straiht ends and with that being said, i have a vixen and morningstar on order.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Online JDBerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
Tajve17, I have a 28" draw, shoot a 66", just what I like,however had a 70" That became a 66" because of a car door, Don't like 70" no more. Draw length stays the same on a forward handle.

Offline jwhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 01:03:00 AM »
I've not shot the Misty Dawn so my comments will be limited... I now own a Vixen and a Morning Star and they are like two beautiful sisters.  The Misty Dawn, I am sure is the same... accurate, fast, smooth and lethal.  If you are going to hunt deer, either the MD or the Vixen will be fine tools for the job.
Happy shooting and happy hunting!

JW

PS: EMT137, how is all that rope treating you?  I really like the knife!
3 JD Berry Duo-Flex long bows
A pile of JD Berry ASL bows
2 JD Berry "OE" Long Bows

A Coyote ran accross the road, on the move without a home...
T. Petty

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 05:56:00 AM »
you guys don't make this easy I hope you all know that,,, why don't I just buy all three,, I can tell the wife NO its one bow you just keep seeing it from different angles?

I'll have my mind made up Monday in 2 days.
"Us vs Them"

Offline emt137

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tajue17:
...why don't I just buy all three...
That is normally the prevailing consensus here on Tradgang.    :biglaugh:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©