3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Found Something ODD As I Looked for ARROWS Last Night Online..  (Read 452 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
Hey all,

After I finished shooting last night I started thinking I might get some new ARROWS as a birthday present for myself in a few weeks.

Some of the ARROWS I have now are REDHEAD Carbon Fury arrows that I bought from Bass Pro several years ago.  They work well for me and I thought I'd just get another dozen of them.

I go to the BassPro site and start looking around and they aren't being sold anymore.  They are the 10 gpi arrows and I want something close to that to hunt with.
I called my local BassPro and they confirmed that they no longer sell these arrows and gave me the names of other inexpensive carbon arrows to check out.  Good enough.

I have a draw weight of 45 pounds and my arrows are 4560 and in other arrows I have I shoot 500 spine.
I start looking at the arrows they have and something odd was going on.  I couldn't find any arrows that were rated for my draw weight.  I think they had 75 different arrows on their site to buy and I bet I only found 2 or 3 that would work for my draw weight.

Thinking this was an anomaly I went to Cabelas.  Same thing.
Then I went to Lancaster thinking that surely they would have plenty of arrows that would suit me, NOPE.  They were as bad BassPro and Cabelas.

I didn't look at any other places after that.  Don't know what to make of this.  I guess they have found that everyone they sell arrows to are shooting compound bows and hardly anyone would be shooting 45 pounds in a compound bow so there is little reason to carry those lighter weight arrows to just sit on the shelves.

I guess I can always get another dozen GameGetter II limbs.  Those aren't hard to find and even have a rebate right now.  They shoot well in my bows and I guess they would be fine for hog hunting.

I just thought it was disappointing that those of us that shoot low draw weights don't have many options out there to buy carbon arrows, especially the inexpensive ones.  I can't spend $10 per arrow.

Anyone else seen this?

Lastly, I went to BIGJIMS to check his stock on the BLEMS.  I'd love to get some of the Nugent arrows in the Zebra Stripes, but he didn't have my size either.  He usually does have them though and will probably buy from him when the time comes.
I also clean forgot to check 3-Rivers too.

Thanks

Nalajr

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Found Something ODD As I Looked for ARROWS Last Night Online..
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »
Are you talking about arrows or limbs,  you talk of "limbs" a lot but seem to be referring to arrows.  Little confused?
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »
:confused:    :dunno:  I'm with Burnsie on this one as well....

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 04:00:00 PM »
Huh?
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 05:06:00 PM »
Nalajr big Jim has Gold tip Blems in this week in lower poundage. To me no matter if its the arrows or limbs or any gear get what you like at a price you can comfortably afford. there are almost to many quality options out there, we are a little spoiled like that. Good luck in your pick and post some pictures after you do   :bigsmyl:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Nala:

Some of the limbs I have now are REDHEAD Carbon Fury limbs that I bought from Bass Pro several years ago.  They work well for me and I thought I'd just get another dozen of them.

Limbs a dozen at a time?  

:dunno:
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
Maybe he needs limbs too.....

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »
I guess I made a BIG MISTAKE....

I am talking about ARROWS and SHAFTS...

Don't know how LIMBS got in there.  Guess I wasn't paying good enough attention.

Temporary Brain Fart.

Sorry for the confusion.

Nalajr

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
WOW...I just fixed it.

That was weird.  Can't figure out why I did that.  I just had answered a question another member posted about ILF limbs and risers.  I guess I had those LIMBS on my mind and it carried over to the post I made.

Still it's very strange.  I swear I'm not on any mind altering drugs.  Maybe I should say I am, that would explain it better.

:)

Nalajr

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 06:53:00 PM »
It's all good...are you looking for 400s or 500s

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »
Have some redhead BLACKOUT 400s if interested

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
I shoot 500's.

Nalajr

Offline nd chickenman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 08:18:00 AM »
you can also keep an eye on classifieds and the auction site to pick exactly what you are looking for

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
Big Jim has ...
    http://www.shop.bigjimsbowcompany.com/Arrow-Shafts_c21.htm    

.500 beman bowhunters for $55/doz.
Carbon Express Predator II in .700,.800, 20-40, 30-50 for $53/doz
Gold tip blems in 35-55 for $50/doz

Though none are the 10gpi you're looking for.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Xander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 02:02:00 AM »
Deer Crosing Archery has inexpensive carbon arrows, though not the 10gpi.  Starting at $49.99/dz fletched and ready to shoot.  I piicked up a set of their Hunter arrows and am impresses with the quality for the price.

They are a new company, I have no interest in them other than a satisfied customer.
-Xander

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 07:08:00 AM »
When determining what carbons to use, it is much better to get the right spine first and then get your weight by adding it up front. This will allow the carbons to perform as well as they possibly can.
By trying to find the shaft with the most gpi in your spine or by going up in spine to get more shaft weight will only handicap your set up.

BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 07:16:00 AM »
Xander, where on their site do they have feathered arrows? They are only cheap if you use vanes.
Yep, they are cheap, but also charge for cutting and installing inserts and no mention of specs on the shafts other than spine or weight. The shafts actual prices are comparable to the CX predator II's and the beman bowhunters.

BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 07:16:00 AM »
Xander,

Get a hold of one of the sponsors here they will get you set up with carbons.

Unfortunately the Big Box guys, have limited to zero experience with Traditional Gear.. Completely different set-ups for arrows etc...

Big Jim is a class act.

Offline Xander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by BigJim:
Xander, where on their site do they have feathered arrows? They are only cheap if you use vanes.
Yep, they are cheap, but also charge for cutting and installing inserts and no mention of specs on the shafts other than spine or weight. The shafts actual prices are comparable to the CX predator II's and the beman bowhunters.

BigJim
They currently do not have feathered arrows, just vanes.  I got a dozen fletched, knocked, inserts, field points and cut to length for $62 shipped.

The shaft specs are listed on the site, my 400 shafts are 6.7gpi and .006 straighteness.  Shaft diameter is also listed, though I don't remember what it is.

This proved to be a good deal for me and I don't mind taking a chance on a new company.

Either way, I am happy with what I got and the service I received, what more can I ask for.

Cheers!
-Xander

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©