3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Whelen lean-to, anybody use them?  (Read 412 times)

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
The Whelen lean-to, anybody use them?
« on: June 21, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »
Been doing some research on the Whelen lean-to and from all accounts this style of shelter is simple and makes for a very comfortable camp, even in cooler weather as a fire at the mouth of the shelter keeps things comfortable.
Seems the shelters design works as a reflector to make efficient use of the heat of the fire and to make it even better, detailed patterns are easily found on line.
Looks like a nice place to call home for a few days while on a hunt.  [/url] [/IMG]

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Whelen lean-to, anybody use them?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 09:24:00 PM »
I have a Baker style, similar, that I really like.  
ChuckC

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
I've used them when I would do living history & historical trekking.  I use a diamond or "plow front" as well.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
Looks pretty nice, I wonder how well it would keep you dry in a driving rain.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
Moleman and your canvas tents.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »
Dave, after our Georgia trip, im thinking not so well.   :biglaugh:
Im thinking that there might be some modifications in order.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 12:06:00 AM »

Love mine to death! Bought earlier this year from Beckel Canvas & made a set of lightweight, internal poles. I used it at the TN Classic thisyear, in the pouring rain,  in a canvas bedroll & stayed bone dry. You do need a good reflector fire to keep warm, but it's honestly the best nights sleep I've ever had outdoors.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 12:10:00 AM »
Years ago a friend & I used one on a backpack elk hunt during the late season.  It snowed at least a foot most nights and the wind blew a good part of the time.  With a fire going we stayed reasonably comfortable. Because of the fire you can dry out each night.  Few other tents offer a way to warm up with a fire and remain light enough to backpack.  Wind is a little trickier since you must set it so the wind comes from the backside.
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Offline Lamplighter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 12:10:00 AM »
If you have the Fred Bear Dvds, you'll see it in the Oldest game.

Offline matthewp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 07:14:00 AM »
I just saw it in the Oldest Game last night.  Looks like a good shelter.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
Hey Rob.  Glad to see you found Beckel Canvas.  They make good stuff.  I bought the Whelan lean-to from them in nylon years ago.   Light, small and easy to pack. Use it for bivouacs and, when I'm packing my Tepee, I use the lean-to as a cook "tent."

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 10:58:00 AM »
Paul, check out how Rob has his side flaps a bit forward compared to yours.  3-4 feet from the looks of it.  I think that could make a big difference, closes things up just enough.  Could even close it a little more yet.

Just thinking out loud
ChuckC

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »
Yeah, the width is dictated by the height. You can go as tall as 6'6" & 8' wide & fairly closed in, or drop the ridge height to 5' & nearly 10' wide. That's one of the things I love about it. cut one set of 7' vertical poles & you have unlimited versatility. If you have a couple of handy trees, you don't need poles at all! The setup options are pretty much limitless. The only negatives are the weight (20# with good stakes) making it a truck-camping tent & the lack of bug-proofing, but a smokey fire will fix that too.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »
Great set up Rob! In Colonel Whelans accounts, he claimed that it served him well to -20, A bit extreme for me, but for early season it looks like a great choice.   :thumbsup:

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 03:15:00 PM »
I think those things are really neat.....that being said I must be getting old because a modern tent seems to a lot more practical to me, really practical when the weather turns bad. I have done lean-to camping in the Adirondacks and now that's as rough as I need to go. But as I said, they look the part.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 03:28:00 PM »
This is Jerry's (Orion) nylon Whelan, set up in Colorado....

You can see what I mean about the height/width thing. Jerry's tent is dimensionally identical to mine, but look how tall it is & how close in the sides come...

PBS & TBT Member

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 11:49:00 AM »
I still have a couple of nylon ones that I bought from LL Bean back in the 80s.   One has drop down bug netting for the front.  The standard one cost about $30 back then.  I've spent as long as 10 days in it on a backpack hunt. They've proven themselves to me. I prefer sleeping on a cot these days, but I will always keep these for special situations.
Tom

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »
A buddy of mine used one this weekend at MTB shoot in Michigan.  Said its almost white from spraying it with silicone over the years. Rip stop nylon, he sewed himself, got the pattern from a book.  He makes his poles from long heavy sticks.  Looked good but need a bug net for the face to keep the giant Mosquitos away. He's used it a lot over 20+ yrs.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 07:39:00 PM »
I used and loved them for years until we got hobos and brown recluses in this country. I cannot sleep with those creeps God creeping around so I use a sealed tent now. I guess I am anachrophobic. Got that from seeing some terrible wounds and several people dying from being bitten.

Whelens and that type are sure comfortable and warm though and I have spent many elk seasons with them.

God bless you all , Steve

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
I used a Baker for over 30 years but grew tired of the heavy canvas tent and myriad of cut poles and ropes to erect it. I do think the Baker gives way more protection in bad weather and privacy in a family camping area. I would drop the flap at night. You have to bath and change your underwear once in a while, even if you are a real he-man type.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©