3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need ideas for large archery target  (Read 421 times)

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
Need ideas for large archery target
« on: June 22, 2013, 09:53:00 AM »
I want to get a 4' x4' (min) target. I looked at the range targets from block and others and OUCH!  Need a cheaper solution. Of course I will shoot my trad bows at target but main reason is to allow kids to shoot at longer distances. Kids shoot both wheelies and trad bows. Wheelie bows are a little faster but we are only talking about a 30-35# bow.

What have you used? Prefer something I can make or buy from easily available materials.

Thanks
Mike
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline solobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need ideas for large archery target
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 11:20:00 AM »
Try this....
1) Basically build a box with 2 x 10's.  Leave an opening on the top to allow you to stuff extra material if needed.
2) Enclose the frame with 1" chicken wire
3) Stuff with old clothes, plastic bags, etc...
4) Cover the outside with a large piece of cardboard.

The wire won't damage you arrows.  Make sure to remove any zippers, buttons, etc. from any clothes you use for stuffing.  The hardest part for me was coming up with enough material to stuff the target with.
USMC 1986-1990

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 11:22:00 AM »
I'm using 3-bales of hay set on a pallet and secured with ratcheting tiedown straps.

You could also fill a large box with 3-4 mil visquene. Might be able to find some used visquene at construction sites.
Chuck

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
Will a regular hay bale stop the arrows?
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »
You need to build a life      :readit:      
     http://archeryreport.com/2011/04/diy-lifetime-archery-target/    
and before you ask NO CHIX WIRE DOES NOT HURT ARROWS YOU HAVE A STEAL TIP (not for broad heads) don't use jeans for stuffing and TAKE ALL ZIPPERS & BUTTONS off clothing used to stuff(tee shirts/ sheets are great, get at church thift stores/sales)
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 02:21:00 PM »
Interesting design. Chicken wire doesn't seem right but .....must be OK.  I don't think I have access to that much clothes.  Need to think about that one.

Anybody just use bales?
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline hart2hart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
Mike,
Check a local farm/ranch supplier handling trailers.Down here T****** Supply gets their trailers in with styrofoam blocks to protect the paint job.Takes 9 of them strapped to a pallet to
make a 4'x4' target.Light,easy to move.Rotate block position to extend life.Wrap with shrink wrap to prevent white junk.
Usually get them for$0
Good luck,
Mike

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »
You can also back the target with a stall mat available at most any place that sells horse equipment.  It's 3/4" thick and is tough, same stuff used for bed liners in pickups.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline AJMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
I was also thinking stall mat behind a couple square hay bails.  A friend that uses that type of setup also packed a bail with a mix of hay and wood shavings. Stops an arrow pretty good.

Offline pcg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 03:44:00 PM »
I use haybales w/o problem.I use four--two rows two high. Shot from recurves, arrows at 20+ yds will go thru the first bale and a couple inches into the one behind. Cover the nales w/ plastic when not using them and they'll last 6 mths or more.
-1 John Schulz RH bows
-2 TimberHawk Monarchs LH, RH
-3 GP Swift T/Ds, LH & RH; GP Long Curve RH
-3 Dave Miller longbows LH, RH
-3 Rempp selfbows

'Bow' in Greek means life but its work is death. -Heraclitus

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 05:33:00 PM »
The ratcheting straps snug up the bales nicely. I'm shooting wood arrows with Chubbie Bunny point and I don't have a problem with passthroughs on a single bale. I am only shooting 50 lbs, though. Maybe different shafts and heavier weights would need a more  substantial backstop.

I added a couple a wraps of rope around each bale for insurance against the bale falling apart if an arrow slips between the bales. Because of the way they are designed, I really don't think that the Chubbie Bunnies would break the bailing twine anyway.
Chuck

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
Straw bales will work for your trad bow and kids compound. We used to use carpet squares in back of kill zone area. We poked a couple holes in carpet and hung down back of bales with wire. Yes it is loose but that helps stop the arrows.
If you can rebrand the bales that helps also to pack the straw tight.
We also used large foam blocks that came from boat docks.

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
Chicken wire on the front will tear up your arrows espicially wooden arrows! I do use chicken wire on 3 sides and plastic netting on the front. I suff mine with plastic.
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 11:04:00 PM »
4 straw bales in a 2x10 frame compressed.
I have to have 2 layers of carpet on the back to stop my 60+ pound bows
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 11:36:00 PM »
Get to large burlap bags cut both down one side and across the top and bottom, then unfold them and lay them on ton top,of each other. Then sew up  both side sides and the bottom. Next fill it up with rags unsold clothes from yard sale also WalMart bags plastic. Then after it is full sew up,the top. I bought 2 bags at rural king for 3.00. When it get shot up just buy 2 more bags stuff the old target into the new target bag.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 06:57:00 AM »
I went to a flooring dealer friend and got an old piece of jute carpet about 20'x5' ( or whatever size) from their dumpster. Cut a piece 8'x5', fold over for a 4'x5' and sew along the 2 sides to create a "pillow". Fill from the open end with shrink wrap, plastic bags, etc. and sew the top shut. Should be about a foot thick.
This I use for a backstop and hang a bag target in front. Bag target is made from an old feed bag (dairy farmer up the road), filled with shrink wrap, old plastic bags and sewn shut.
All sewing is done with heaviest thread I have and a large needle. I build a 2x4 frame for the carpet bag and hung between 2 posts.
Unfortunately, for me, it's not as hard to miss that big a backstop as I would have thought...
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 10:45:00 AM »
The Goodwill always has clothes donated that are not fit for sale. Ask nice and you will get more than you can use.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 10:56:00 AM »
The best target I have used is stacked cardboard with a threaded steel rod going down each side to add compression.  
    Briefly,  I buy cardboard sheets from Uline, cut them to a uniform size, stack them on a simple 2x4 base, add the 2x4 top piece, tighten the steel rod on each side and its ready to go.
    I built my current target @ 3-4 years ago and it is still holding up great.   I do protect it from the weather however.

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
I've always wondered about the bundled up bales of old cardboard boxes you will usually see at your local groceries stores or other large store that uses a lot of boxes. They look good and you could probably get them free by just asking. Anyone ever used one?
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 11:22:00 AM »
Also, how does the clothes target hold up against broadheads?
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©