3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sleeping Bag Rating Recommendations  (Read 394 times)

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
Sleeping Bag Rating Recommendations
« on: June 22, 2013, 03:00:00 PM »
Going on a Wyoming elk hunt beginning September11th and need recommendations on temperature rating of a sleeping bag to bring.  Keep in mind, I will be staying in a outfitter canvas tent.  Currently have a 40 degree bag....will that be adequate?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sleeping Bag Rating Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
I would think something in the 20 degree neighborhood would be a safer bet, or at least some kind of liner or over bag to boost the rating.  

Hard to beat the Kelty cosmic 20 degree down bag for a little over $100 for a cheap do it all bag.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
The odds of freezing your tutu off in a 40 degree bag are excellent for Wyoming, not just in September but any time in the high country. For my September elk hunts, I use a bag rated at 15 degrees, and sometimes I'm still sleeping in long johns. Temps well below freezing are common that time of year, and if it is warm, you can always unzip the bag.
As an example, today (June 22), it is currently 49 degrees here in Buffalo, which is at an elevation of about 4900 feet. Might be a bit more nippy where the elk live.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
I'd recommend a bag as mentioned above and then a bag liner, gives you some options for layering that way and then top it off with a good warm stocking cap to sleep in, especially if your thinning in the hair department like me.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
Canvas tent with stove, you should be fine.

No stove, be prepared to sleep in sweats or go with 15 - 20 degree bag
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 07:49:00 PM »
Personally, I figure bags are overrated by at least 15-20 degrees.  Mountain temps in September can easily be well below freezing, so I would want nothing less than a 15 degree bag - preferably even lower.  I like to be warm when I sleep!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
Your 40 degree bag won't cut it. I always take a 20 degree bag and a wool blanket on Sept. high country hunts. Also stocking hat and poly long under wear.
Packed into the Eagle Caps one Sept. and it was 70 degrees. Woke up in the morning to 2 inches of snow and 22 degrees.

Good luck
John

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
When you guys are talking high country, what elevations are you referring to?
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
Marmot is a quality brand. lots of choices.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 09:00:00 AM »
Wiggy's  0 degree (f) Super Light  bag for an all around bag. Not too heavy to carry and if it's performance is exceptional. (personal experience) If it is too warm just leave it open a little.

:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:     http://wiggys.com/category.cfm?Category=6
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
The mountains can easily drop into the 20's at night that time of year.  But more importantly you should question what your personal comfort rating is?  Is your bedroom normally too warm or too cold?  Adjust your sleeping bag rating accordingly.  Remember it is far easier to cool down rather than to warm up.

Offline cuboodle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »
Check the auction site for the US ARMY sleep system it is 4 components a light bag a heavier bag a gor-tex cover and stuff sack its modular and the bags can be used individually or combined and it compresses to size of a soccer ball. You can't go wrong with it.

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »
+1 on Wiggys... great bag

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »
Thanks Guys for the recommendations!

I ended up purchasing a Marmont Trestles in the 15 degree rating.

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
Everyone can tolerate a different "sleeping warmth" but overall the bag rating I think or way off. Meaning they keep you alive at what ever temp the bag rating is rather than toasty warm    :D

I just now seen you got a  Marmont Trestless 15.  It's a great bag for durability and price and It's held up fine for me for the last 9 or 10 years. But for me it's not warm enough and I'd consider it a 40 degree bag. But I have "survived" down to low 20's with it in a tent with no stove.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
Get a decent bag, but hear this. .  the other side.  I bought a really nice bag from REI.  It is awesome, and so hot I have yet to be able to spend the night zipped up in it.  There is such a thing as too much !

ChuckC

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
Those bag raters must polar bears. My zero degree bag is only comfortable down to about twenty five.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
Bags have general ratings but every person and their sensitivity to cold is different...as are the conditions such as dry or wet cold for your choice in bag fill material.  Most are rated for short periods at that rating but some things you can do to help the situation that makes a significant difference.

I personally like 0* bags for all around use...cold weather to 15*F and up they are very comfortable....over 50*F I sleep on top under an old poncho liner.  I have a Mountain Hardware and love it...one of my best all around bags and I have used coleman, every military bag made in a 20 year career....and this MH with synthetic fill has been my best all around for warmth, durability, lightness and able to DRY QUICKLY if wet...big issue if in areas that have rain or if traveling on water by canoe.  I have dried out my bag completely by fire one evening after a torrential downpour caught us unguarded with my bag airing over a line when out hunting and it was clear skies...except for one little cell that went over camp.  Temps that night were 35* and 3 hours around campfire with bag over lap facing fire and rotating dried it completely.

Some things I do...based on experience and learned in survival schools I attended in military:

- I either sleep naked or in underwear as any clothing you have against your skin (except silk or pure synthetics) will hold moisture that comes from your body during night and chill you down.

- I wear wool socks on my feet...and a wool or synthetic beanie on my head while sleeping.  Keeps extremities warm and vastly improves comfort....put on dry socks though before bed not ones you wore in boots all day.

- Carry a box of the small hand warmers you get from walmart in orange packs.  An hour before bed throw a single one down in foot well of bag...you will be so toasty after you get in and zip up tight that you may have to vent the bag during night all the way down to the teens.

- If using an self inflating mattress pad like my Thermarest XL (extra long and wide)....just as you enter bed...blow the final air into it for firmness...the warmth of your breath will warm inside of pad and help keep cold from you better as well until you are settled.

- big thing...go piss before you go to bed...or keep a gatorade jar in tent...having to get out of bag and go visit the wood line away from camp will chill you and cause you to have to warm up again.  If you do leave bag...be sure to close it up as it will keep your body heat in surprisingly well until you return.

I have been in -5* with a 0* bag and been toasty all night following these rules.  Try them out and sure you will find similar results.  Good Luck.

as far as bags...any of the big names known for expedition use will work...Wiggys, Big Bertha, Marmot, Mountain Hardware, North Face or Sierra Designs....get a copy of Campnoor, Backcountry.com ...or go to    MooseJaw   Moosejaw.com and they have last years models on sale and the savings can be significant.

One last thing...get one of the right size.  Get too short and restrictive and you will never be comfortable and get it too large and it takes longer to warm...much like tent sizes...smaller in colder weather to help hold heat nearer your body some.

I am 6'3 and 255 and make sure I get one large enough that I can have a bit of room at bottom of bag to put my jeans and shirt for next day to keep them warm....and enough shoulder room to rotate and turn on my side if I want while sleeping.  Here is my bag...but is only one of many many options out there...but pay attention to the dimensions as well.

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Mountain-Hardwear-Lamina-0-Sleeping-Bag_10207862_10208_10000001_-1_
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »
Oops! double. . .
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
Great info Ron Herman. Also- i realize bags lose their insulating properties over time- How long do you think your bag will last (Nights of use I guess)?  

Also for all- The Military modular seems to be a really warm system and affordable- HOWEVER, it weighs 10# or so.  Pretty heavy for backpacking.

Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©