3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sleeping Bag Rating Recommendations  (Read 393 times)

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sleeping Bag Rating Recommendations
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 12:35:00 AM »
I have had my MH for 5 years and use it average of 20 nights a year...I hang it to air dry and only put in stuff sack of needed otherwise it stays in mesh bag to keep the loft.  If I get another 5 years out of it then I think it is worth it for the $200+ spent for good sleep on chilly nights in backcountry.  I have shivered all night in other bags enough (Washington Cascades, Bosnia, Croatia, Kuwait, etc (yes desert gets below freezing at night sometimes...plus going from 120 to 70 degrees your body gets acclimated and it feels like freezing as it is all relative), etc)

Been very happy with the overall lightness, comfort and warmth....now I only use the handwarmer packs if I need them...and start with the socks and stocking cap and 90% of time that is enough.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 07:03:00 AM »
I like Ron's information.

My cold-weather backcountry bed consists of 3 components: A LuxuryLite UL cot keeps me about 4" above hard ground and is incomparable for comfort. On the cot goes my Exped Downmat 9 which provides about 3.5" of down insulation beneath my body, plus the comfort of an air mattress. My bag is a Western Mountaineering Sequoia GWS which comes standard with 36 ounces of 850 fill-wt down in the 6'-6" model. It's rated to 5F, standard. I ordered mine custom with 4 extra ounces of down, which likely takes the bag rating to well below zero. When placed on top of the Downmat and its additional warmth, I've got the closest thing to a true furnace. I'm often venting on cold nights in central Alaska.

A thin warm beanie will add an estimated 5-10 degrees of comfort to your bag...especially if you're not sporting a thick mop up top.

I always sleep in long underwear, socks and a beanie. I do it mostly to protect my down bag from skin oil and other contaminants which will reduce a bag's loft over time. I also much prefer jumping up at 5am when I have the first basic layer in place. Don't do this in cheap long underwear. Use the best synthetics or merinos.

I absolutely concur with using a pee bottle to eliminate the jump-and-run at 3am. Without going graphic, I've figured out how to safely (and cleanly) take care of that job while remaining comfortably in my sleeping bag. No more night trotting.

Do sleeping bag maintenance in camp. Open it up every day before leaving to hunt. On sunny days, hang it outside (inverted) on a paracord clothesline to totally dry the insulation or fill.

You spend almost 1/3 of any hunting or camping trip relying on your bed system. It makes no sense (to me) to go cheap or uncomfortable to save a few bucks. Buy good stuff and give it the care it requires.

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 05:00:00 PM »
A good sleeping bag will last for many, many years IF and only IF it is properly cared for.  Most bags should never be stored compressed and/or folded up.  This is really critical for a down-filled bag.  Most folks also forget to keep the bag as clean as possible both on the inside and outside.  This is why lots of experienced campers use a bag liner.  Bags can and should be properly washed / cleaned every now and then.  The proper method depends on the fill type.  Also, don't try to force a zipper.  This is usually the #1 failure.  Make sure the zipper has a clear path to use.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
I Always Use A Liner Made From A Sraight Sheet, Folded Longwise And Sewn Across The Bottom And Up About One Foot.  It Really Keeps Your Sweat, Etc Off The Bag.
Chuckc

Offline parshal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
Definitely see if the wall tent will have a stove burning all night.  If someone's feeding that stove you'll be sweating in a 0 bag.  I have a 10 and 40 degree bag and a 30 degree quilt.  I can bring the quilt along with one of the other bags if I'm not packing the gear in too far.  I use the quilt as an over bag.  It will drop the temp rating of the main bag quite a lot.  You can get a nice inexpensive quilt from Enlightened Equipment.  Take a look at his RevelationX quilt.  You can get a 30 or 40 degree quilt for your 40 degree bag and drop the temp to 20 pretty easily.  Then, just sleep in whichever one works best for your situation (stove or no stove).  That quilt gets pretty small and is light so it won't take up too much room.

Oh, and bags are one place where you get what you pay for.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »
I would add that Western Mountaineering bag ratings are conservative,compared to many others.I have a 0 degree Kodiak and it is really too warm for September.I'm not a hot sleeper either.I could easily get by with one of their 20-25 degree bags.I believe my next bag will be their Alpinlite.Like the Kodiak,it is a light mummy,but fuller cut than most.I find them more comfortable these days than the slimmer mummies.

I also use long under wear and a beanie to bump up the warmth for colder weather.I also only buy a bag with a full length zipper.This may add a couple ounces but is important on warmer nights and increases the temperature range and versatility of the bag.

I like a bag that is good for September but can work in the high country for Summer backpacking trips and with the addition of some clothes,also work in October.

A good,breathable tent that you can zip up to cut the wind can add 5-10 degrees to your comfort level.

Offline parshal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
Feathered Friends are another made in USA sleeping bag that are top tier along with the Western Mountaineering bags.  They are both expensive but will last a lifetime if properly cared for.  They are down but also have water repellent shells.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »
I absolutely agree with the above comments. In particular, JimB's statement that WM bag ratings are conservative has been my experience as well. I was amazed when I received my WM Sequoia and tossed it on the floor. I've never seen a physically-light bag loft so aggressively. I theorize that these companies like Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends and a few others...are not competing for volume sales or market share. They use the best materials they can get, and they use plenty of high-end goose down. No shortcuts in these bags.

Incidentally, I had a Cabela's Alaskan Guide down bag rated at 0F. It was plenty warm, and this tapered (long size) bag weighed #6-9oz. I don't think for a minute it would have suited me in true zero temps. My WM Sequoia (which replaced the Cabela's bag) is also a long tapered bag and weighs right at #3-13oz. It is way warmer, weighs less, and compresses to probably 60 or 70% the volume of my previous Cabela's bag.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©