3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Michigan Longbow Association Heading West...The Hunt is COMPLETE, and Successful  (Read 2132 times)

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
What an adventure. I'm awaiting a story,and some good pics. Congrats gents! rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Congrats guys!
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline K-Mac

• Trad Bowhunter
I love reading these post,can't wait for the story!
PBS Associate member

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
WAHOO, we just made it to Iowa.  Roger being the ever watchful mentor that he is says that me being jacked up on Mountain Dew is funny to experience, but is fearful the "Buzz" would wear off while driving.  Little does he know I just killed the biggest critter of my life and this "High" ain't going away.  

So, I guess I just gave another little hint as to what is to come, but we are still 12 hrs from home and my awesome camp mate is wanting some rest.  Well, I have the weekend off and the only thing on my agenda is spending time with my wife and kids, so Roger is absolutely correct.  Take it slow and make sure we get there in one piece.  

If you ever get to share a camp with Roger, you had better not hesitate the opportunity.

Have no fear, pics will be coming along with a quick explanation of our over flowing coolers.

What an adventure the last week has been...

There was a closer than I wanted and unexpected encounter with a MASSIVE cow moose at spitting distance.  Who would have known they share the same wilderness as Mule Deer?   That very same evening, Roger had a moose encounter of his own that he can explain, but it made for a VERY interesting campfire tale.  A couple mornings later when walking in, just as we were getting ready to split up a little after 5AM, another Moose was standing on the same path we wanted to go, and in pitch black darkness, the pucker factor at that moment was indescribable.  A slow and steady retreat had me under the nearest log, and Roger heading south down a prominant cow trail .  Whole different experience for this Michigan Boy.  As the morning started to bring the woods to life, the moose decided to walk past my holed up spot and just gave me that look of "You owe me some money".  I have never felt so small in my life and wanting somehow to get smaller.  This is the kind of adventure I have only dreamed about.  It only gets better from here on out.

More to come in a while.  Thanks for bearing with us as we make the trek back East.  Now I know why the people who headed West didn't come back.  It's to damn beautiful.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Mike Theis

• Trad Bowhunter
Mike, I predict that sometime in your future you will be suffering from 'mountain air withdrawal' and will need to go back. Watch out, I have found that infects you on an annual basis.     :)      :)
If man were to know everything in advance, there would be no such thing as adventure!

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
If you didn't get pics looking up the nostrils of those meeses it never happened. Looking forward to this thread.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter

Heres a pic of the doe I killed Thursday night. mike just dropped me off. He has MUCH better pictures to share!

It was a 10 yard shot, slightly uphill,  I was on my knees. My NM Baraga finally made meat! I was shooting Axis 500 carbons with Vintage single bevel heads. It was a complete pass thru, and the arrow was stuck deeply into a stump on the other side.

That last part was important....om Tuesday a.m I mmmmmmissed a whopper, 6 points on his left antler...
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Sixgun

• Trad Bowhunter
Awesome! Congrats, that's a fine looking doe!

Ray
A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be . . . time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there.

Fred Bear

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
It happened Izzy. Here is the upset cow, after i backed into the timber, and she decided to go around. I was preparing to stalk a mule deer, and moved from the timber, heading 2 draws over. I looked to my left, and thought, "Wow, what a cute calf".....then I looked to my right to see upset Mom. I scurried back into the timber until she calmed down.

"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
Sorry the big one got away Roger, but I'm sure that doe will eat a whole lot better than some big stinky buck! Congrats on the deer and breaking in your NM right!

I got a feeling it's time to pour a fresh cup     :coffee:    
Thom

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
Mike's a little bushed and very happy to be back to his family, a hot shower, and a soft bed. He asked me to post this picture and blurb on his behalf:

"Hero shot of my 4x4 Wyoming Mule Deer. Long story short...hunt included a 1/2 mile sprint thru deadfalls headstrong into the timber the moose came from before. I let eleven does pass along with two 2x2's in velvet. Picked my spot at 30 yards, I honestly do not remember drawing reaching anchor or the release. Shot was from the ground at 13 FEET, all I remember seeing is my white nock hitting exactly what I was focused on. Double lung, busted arrow and 250# of awesomeness before me. I have experienced ground shrinkage before, but this one just kept getting bigger the closer I got."

Looks like we'll all need to wait a while more to hear the long version of his story.    :campfire:
Thom

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Thank you for the help Thom.  Here is the quick equipment notes and I'm logging off to spend some quality time with my wife and 2 little boys...

50# @ 28" Tall Tines longbow, and 620 grain Motor City Machete tipped with 125 grain Eclipse head.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Awesome pics fellas. I've been thinking of you boys since the road trip started.

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
This just keeps getting better and better!
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Great job fellers!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Excellent job men!
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Very proud of my Michigan friends!  Great job boys    :thumbsup:

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Online Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Congratulations Mike and Roger great job!!!!!
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Sounds like you guys had a great time. Congratulations to both of you!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©