3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do we shoot too much for hunting practice?  (Read 448 times)

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
Do we shoot too much for hunting practice?
« on: June 22, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
Haven't been on a lot lately due to 50-60 hours a week at work since Jan., and farm and home responsibilities. Have not been shooting much either, for 2-3 weeks at a time, hardly get to touch a bow. Tonight just before dark, got one of my old faithful Quinn stallions out, still set up for hunting, and walked out and shot 10 shots between 15-30 yds. Surprisingly all were in the kill zone on the el cheapo small deer 3 D target I have. I then pulled 2 broadhead tipped arrows out and in nearly pitch dark shot both of the touching each other in the center of the group! I had been shooting much more in the spring, and struggling with some errors, but just really worked my way thru each shot, did not overthink it, and made me think that after we have sufficient muscle memory, we may overdo it in our head sometimes, at least for me. Any of you guys have similar experiences?
samuel koger

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do we shoot too much for hunting practice?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
Yep.....one of the reasons I now only shoot one or two arrows at a time and keep my sessions short.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 10:59:00 PM »
I don't know if going that long would be desirable for me, but I think what you are talking about is why me and my wife do so much better when we go stumping than when we go to the 3d course, less shooting and also less familiar shots I believe, slows us down
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 11:55:00 PM »
I used to shoot 50 to 100 arrows a day religiously but after a few years of that I found myself getting sloppy. Then I went to a dozen or two shots a day to keep my eye and muscles tuned but a month before hunting season I would shoot one arrow a day, sometimes morning and sometimes evening. I concentrated on that shot and let my brain and body take over.
 I haven't hunted much in the last few years and over the last year haven't even shot much but when I do shoot those first few are right on target. I get a bit sloppy after that but that is because my archery muscles are out of shape.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 12:34:00 AM »
I make myself practice with a single arrow so that I have to walk and retrieve my arrow each. I guess in a way it helps erase the memory of the previous shot. How many times can you remember where the first shot of the day was perfect? It happens that way more often than not for me.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 01:13:00 AM »
No, we dont shoot too much for hunting practice.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 05:21:00 AM »
I go through, what I like to call a "after hunting season lull". That's when I hardly shoot at all because I'm usually preparing for the upcoming trout season, (fly-fishing), or the weather to cold outside. But when the weather starts to break, I start shooting daily. The first several sessions I push myself by shooting a lot of arrows,(60-70 arrows a day if work doesn't  get in the way 2-3 arrows a round), starting at 25yrds and finishing at about 10yrds. I do this to build up my muscle memory, muscle tone, and eye focus. Starting about the middle of June I start backing down my shooting significantly ,(30-40 arrows a day, 15-20 in the morning and 15-20 in the evening), and start working on my form. After a month or so I start shooting outside my comfort zone, shooting around trees, straight down shots from a stand, low light conditions, etc. etc. etc.. By time the hunting season gets here I am only shooting 10 arrows a day, one arrow at a time. I never shoot the same distance twice during those 10 arrow a day sessions. It helps my eyes judge distance better for when I'm in the woods. I am lucky to shoot 3-4 arrows a day after the season starts to keep my muscle tone and memory in shape. This is what works for me,,,    :archer2:

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »
In 2010, my hand was in a cast for 5 months, the day after I had it removed I was in Maine on a bear hunt.  (Had a flintlock rifle just in case)I shot a few arrows and I was back on, however, I don't think that you can shoot too much, and I'd never go that long if I can help it.  I try not to go more than a day or two with out shooting at least 10 arrows.   I also shoot because its a great stress reliever.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 08:38:00 AM »
I normally shoot daily 6-dozens of arrows daily all year long. However, my work (which is ironically archery) got me out of sinc about mid-April.

I took the curve to 30 and 40 yards yesterday afternoon for the first time in weeks.  I can't say I was any better than when I laid of in April but I was pleased to not be any worse.

Any shot taken without being in the proper frame of mind (process vs result oriented)risks damage to the shooting psyche. Of course such wrong-thinking shots are impossible for most not to occasionally make.

The cure for a shot that needs improvement is to "Reflect" on how the shot felt and what will I do next shot to improve. If my mind races to something I did wrong (wrong-thinking) I immediately counter that negative thought with what I WILL do next.

Not shooting doesn't fix anything for me.

I am a firm believer in practicing "too far" to develop super confidence in bow range (20 and under for me).

I will spend 9 days hunting from the ground this coming October. So, I'm going to be practicing more from the ground as that hunt approaches.

As deer season approaches I normally shoot almost entirely from an elevated (my 17' high deck) position. That practice begins about 2 weeks out. I will shoot 1-2 arrows each at 3D deer targets placed about at 10, 15, and 20 yards from this elevated position.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
This is the age old quantity vs quality debate.  I think a handful of quality shots few times a week is better than hundreds of sloppy shots a day.  If you're practice gets sloppy you are only learning bad habits.  That said, if you could keep your form a focus through 100 shots, it would probably be good for your shooting.  I can't come close to that so I don't try.

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
I believe that compelling arguments can be made for both view points.  A lot of the shot happens in your brain and everyone has a different approach to it.

If a few arrows work best for you...Great!  If you feel better by shooting a lot of arrows everyday...Keep at it.  Quality and purposful practice helps with shot quality and confidence.

A lot of us love to shoot and it is an enjoyable part of our daily lives.  Just keep the enjoyment in it.  Realize you will have good and bad days and roll with it.  

Hunt hard, take shots that you feel confident in, and shoot your bow when you want to.  Smile and repeat!

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 09:53:00 AM »
Sam: I am one of those who finds that I do best in a hunting situation or where conditions are changing and not static. It seems to me that having shot for so many years that it doesn't take too long to  get back on the horse and do well....unless I am shooting a border line too heavy bow. I find that stumping and shooting at small game keeps me where I need to be to be confident.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
Once we kinda figure out how to shoot trad archery, I think there is a balance between too much and too little practice.  Too much tends to cause lapses in concentration and enthusiasm. This allows bad habits to take hold. Too little cause this perishable skill to wane, likewise leading to a loss of conditioning and more bad habits to take hold. I try to shoot enough to be effective but little enough that full concentration can be given to each shot.
Sam

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 10:28:00 AM »
It's not possible to shoot too much - except physically.

When success  happens in a hunting situation it's because of muscle memory - that's why you hear so many say " I don't remember drawing or releasing" - because their learned behavior from doing it thousands of times kicked in and took care of it for them.  

Hunting practice - I recommend stump shooting with one arrow.

If I'm a deer I'm a lot more worried about the guy who shoots 300 arrows a week than the guy who shoots three.

Besides- its FUN!!!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »
Having been forced into "longer than I'd like" shooting layoffs, due work or surgery, I've found that my first shooting session after a layoff is a good one. I figure that my mind is focused entirely on executing the shot and things happen the way they're supposed to!
This spring, I worked a stretch of 12.5 hr. days for 10.5 weeks, only having Easter Sunday off. Had an an additional hour on the road to and from the job, so I was leaving around 5:30 a.m. and getting home around 8:00 p.m. Spent the first 2 weeks after the job was finished catching up on work around the house. Finally got out the bow and shot as well as I have in years.
Having not shot at all for 3 months, I was so focused on my form that it all just "clicked". Not saying that a layoff is a good thing, but that focus and concentration are the keys to consistent shooting. I've found that I can "over practice" and in turn I start to over think my shot. Hard to explain and probably came off as confusing!
Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »
Old woodchucker, is one VERY superstitious Indian!!!!!

Many will not agree... But, it works for me!!! LOL

The boys and I usualy practice every day,as much as we can,all summer long. Starting in September, we only take 1 arrow out to practice with. We take our time, and shoot 1 arrow at the target. "you only get 1 shot" mentality... Usualy by hunting season in October, we're as good as we're going to get!

Once hunting season starts... We do NOT practice at all!!!!! (except for carrying a Judo, for the occational stump or squirrel)

The personal reason behind this, is that I DO NOT, want a bad practice session to shake our confidence!!!!!

Just one old woodchucker's oppinion.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
Hill shot 100+ arrows daily for years and he seemed to do alright when hunting.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline krink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »
When I shoot multiple arrows it is because I am working on some sort of form or learning a distance.  I found I get to critical of myself and my shooting drops off.  So when I take a quiver full of arrows out I only work on some sort of form.  

What I do to practice for hunting is shoot one and only one arrow.  I go out and look at my target.  I literally close my eyes and imagine how the shot would be if it were a real animal in front of me.  I "watch" it walk.  In my head the animal always stops where I want it to and always presents a shot.  The kicker is I only shoot once.  I would do this every 30-45 minutes through the day/night and not every night.  It keeps it different for me so I don't get bored.  I also don't stop at certain distances.  I just stop in random places.
The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next five hundred years.
---James Forrestal

Sticks and stones will break some bones and feed my family this winter.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »
Shoot as much as you want, when you want. But stop when it becomes sloppy. If you can stop before it becomes sloppy, that is ideal.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline ltppowell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 05:52:00 PM »
IMO, concentration and physical skills are apples and oranges. When they come together....you're gold.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©