3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do we shoot too much for hunting practice?  (Read 449 times)

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do we shoot too much for hunting practice?
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 07:51:00 PM »
Fellers I can relate, I do much better hunting than I do 3D, or do better stump shooting, probably because I am shooting within my comfort zone. I am way more serious about hunting, and the last 4 weeks before season, shoot mostly broad heads, which shoot the same as my field tips for me, but amps up my confidence! I will be shooting more shortly, lots of overtime about over and farming chores getting put by for the season. I like to shoot 30-40 shots a day, no more close to season, so as not to pick up sloppy shooting habits. Usually in the spring and early summer, I am playing around with different bows, different techniques, but have stopped that, just anchor, focus and pull thru, has worked for me since I was 10 years old shooting a Bear solid fiberglass#25 bow.
samuel koger

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »
Some may shoot to much if they get sloppy and in bad form but keep firing away. Sometimes I shoot a few arrows sometimes shoot for quite a while depends on how I feel and how its going. If I am working on a form issue then lots of arrows into the bale at close range to drive it home as long as focus is maintained.

A few years back I used to shoot for hours at a time because well its fun, however I have realized it was counterproductive to improvement. Now much shorter intense sessions yield better results.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »
I see where you are going, and ill answer with what works for you is the answer.

Now my commentary is this, I just like to shoot arrows.  If I can help it I don't like to miss a day of shooting. Here lately it's been tough with everything going on so I may get 10 arrow here and a few days later a few more.  But what I like to do is if I'm outside (usually am) then I have a bow and some arrows out there and I may just pick it up and shot a few and continue on with my work. So by the end of the day I may have shot 100 or so arrows just a couple at a time.

But I LOVE to shoot, so a lot of times ill focus on good quality shooting for a couple rounds but then I move to rolling soccer balls, thrown discs, swinging whiffle balls etc. just for the joy.

I'm also a slingshot addict and usually have one on me at all times.  I work in St. Louis and I still shoot my slingshots daily at lunch. I just like projectiles!!!LOL
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline CKeth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 12:01:00 AM »
I don't think you can ever practice too much but you can practice poorly. When a lot of us try to shoot too much at once, I think it's common to kind of zone out and just go through the motions. I try (try, I don't always succeed) to shoot about 3 dozen arrows at a time, max. That keeps me in it and keeps me from zoning out.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 01:43:00 AM »
Normally, I shoot ten months a year. Between small game and winter roving after the January season closes in Jersey.

I then take 2 months off and start again in April preparing for Spring Turkey in May. Once fishing season hits for Bass/Walleye, I shoot roughly 3 days a week, 25 arrows per session in my back yard at small pieces of foam or whatever at unknown distances.

From September on, I shoot as much as I can and never stop practicing even when hunting season arrives. That's one problem I notice from younger hunters...they hunt...but forget to keep practicing during the season.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 02:17:00 AM »
I shoot a little and I shoot a lot and it is all good...the main thing is that I only shoot when I want to, and when I want to shoot well...if I am shooting badly I quickly forget about it and call it a conditioning session, just to keep in shape...the idea that shooting poorly will lead to bad habits is way too simplistic for me...as long as we have the ability to think and reason, and are willing to put in some effort, it is amazing the things we can fix...often when I go hunting I will shoot one arrow at a target and according to how that arrow feels and the result, I will set my maximum effective distance for that particular hunt...sometimes it is only going to be 15 yards...and sometimes it is going to be lot closer to 30 yards

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 02:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by Brianlocal3:
I see where you are going, and ill answer with what works for you is the answer.

Now my commentary is this, I just like to shoot arrows.  If I can help it I don't like to miss a day of shooting. Here lately it's been tough with everything going on so I may get 10 arrow here and a few days later a few more.  But what I like to do is if I'm outside (usually am) then I have a bow and some arrows out there and I may just pick it up and shot a few and continue on with my work. So by the end of the day I may have shot 100 or so arrows just a couple at a time.

But I LOVE to shoot, so a lot of times ill focus on good quality shooting for a couple rounds but then I move to rolling soccer balls, thrown discs, swinging whiffle balls etc. just for the joy.

I'm also a slingshot addict and usually have one on me at all times.  I work in St. Louis and I still shoot my slingshots daily at lunch. I just like projectiles!!!LOL
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 02:23:00 AM »
Okay so I got a little ahead of myself there...we all need to remember back, on occasion, to when we first learned to like projectiles...and remind ourselves that flinging projectiles is what keeps us young...thanks for reminding me...it is dark out here right now so I am just gonna go fling a few arrows in my basement and be thankful that I can

DDave

Offline gonefishing600

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2013, 07:17:00 AM »
Dave Wallace 7 time world longbow champion told me, he shoots once a week.
JD Berry Argos 64" 48#&28"
Toelke Classic Whip 64" 46#@28"
Acs one piece 64" 46#@28"
BlackWidow PLX 66" 46#@28"

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2013, 12:41:00 PM »
Yep,
I usually shoot real well after giving it a break.
But I don't intentionally go for very long because I enjoy shooting.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2013, 02:43:00 PM »
It is a personal thing.

If my practice is repetitive, like in the backyard, yes, I can shoot too much and get sloppy.

Something that is always changing, like stumping? Nope. I can't shoot enough. Last year in Idaho I bet I shot 100 arrows a day, just wandering around. And I was never better. I shot at the knothole in this board probably 500 times in that 10 days.

"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline TraditionalGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »
It looks like most of us are quite the same. I love to just shoot. My main hunting bow is a 65 pound pull, so the arm gets tired if I shoot too many. So I got myself a 45 pound bow that I can literally hundreds of arrows per session. I know some people say to stop when you get sloppy, but I tend to want to end on a good note. So if I do get sloppy, I try to get back on track before ending the day. The only time I quit early is if I find myself getting frustrated or not enjoying it. If I can't have fun, then I just don't shoot.

As for hunting, about two months out I only shoot the bow I am going to hunt. About a month out, I really start shooting no more than 3 arrows per target at the 30 target course near my house. Two weeks out is when I go down to one arrow per target and always through brush, behind trees, or any other life like situation. The final week I do the same, but with broad heads only. I haven't missed a shot hunting in a long time. Now if only I could manage to get more opportunities to get shots off I would be golden.
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.”
H. L. Mencken

Offline Stumpknocker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2013, 04:33:00 PM »
I try to shoot most days, and usually do.   I also love to shoot, and love how it helps get my mind right when things are stressing me out.  I have been shooting stickbows off and on since childhood, but am at a point where I am really trying to move up to another level of accuracy, form refinement, and mental discipline.  Consequently, when I shoot these days the goal is form refinement, and not the results down range.   However, when the form is solid, the results down range show it.  My less structured 'fun shooting' is roving with a judo.

Visualization of a hunting scenario is part of every shot.  I may stand for a moment and imagine the deer coming in, then draw slowly just as with hunting.  Whatever the mind game, every shot is a hunting shot.  I shoot at night, dusk and in daylight.

I almost always only shoot one arrow, and the most important shot is the first shot.  There are no 'warm up' shots.  Everything after that tends to be considered training for the muscle memory aspects of good form that I am working on.

Do I shoot too much?  Some days, but only if I push myself too hard.   I usually allot myself 10 shots, then go do something else, then come back later.   Sometimes it's 20 arrows.  

I try to also remember that archery is a physical sport, and make sure to not over train.  A light day or rest day is good for me after shooting more than usual.  

I don't think I shoot too much for hunting practice because of my personal mind set while shooting.  Thanks for a good topic to ponder.  

TgE
Let's go to the woods and learn things about life (Penelope, age 4, to me).  

plx osage 62" 56@28
sax bocote 60" 54@28
Morrison Shawnee 56" 56@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©