3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lightweight backpacking tents?  (Read 1224 times)

Offline wigeon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lightweight backpacking tents?
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 05:34:00 PM »
I use a Kifaru paratarp and annex I also took the parastove on last years elk hunt and was very comfortable

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight 2 - just over 3.5 lbs, solid tent, bang for buck.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
The easton kilo has some not so nice reviews on rei's website.  I'd stay away from it unless you've actually seen it in person.

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
I have used a Marmot EOS 1 man tent, its under 3#, weather-proof, easy to setup, side entry with large vestibule. Fits me fine at 6' and 210#.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »
I would rather pack in a few more pounds of tent and figure out where to cut weight somewhere else.  If I'm going to be out in the bush for 10+ days I want to be able to set up camp with a tent I can actually move around in and weather a storm if needed.  I always add +1 to the tent for the number of people.  I've been in what was called a two man tent with a hunting partner and it was a stretch to say it was for two unless you really liked each other.  Plus no room for any gear at all.  I'll go for the 3-4 man version and have some elbow room,  gear room and be able to sit inside and play cards if its storming.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 11:11:00 PM »
My go lite shangri la 3 is 1.5lbs and lots of room. Floor less and head room is nice.

Edit: I missed that you wanted something to keep the snakes out... So this one is no good for that. I'm actually going to get a second one for just that reason! Thinking of getting the dw moment from tarp tents. Stuck hunting the west side this year though so no to worried bout snakes
Levi Bedortha

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 11:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by wigeon:
I use a Kifaru paratarp and annex I also took the parastove on last years elk hunt and was very comfortable
X2 Check out Kifaru. Their gear will revolutionize the way you camp.

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »
If I were in the market for a tent the two I'd look at would be the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 1 and the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2.   The Copper Spur weights 2lbs 12oz all in and has side entry which is really nice.  The Fly Creek UL2 weighs 2lbs 10 oz and will give you more room inside but has a front entry and less usable space in the vestibule.  

Like bows, everybody is going to have a different opinion on tents. If you have an REI or other mountaineering store near you it would be wise to stop by and set several up and see which one fits your needs the best.   Good luck on your hunt!!

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 09:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by DarkTimber:
If I were in the market for a tent the two I'd look at would be the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 1 and the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2.   The Copper Spur weights 2lbs 12oz all in and has side entry which is really nice.  The Fly Creek UL2 weighs 2lbs 10 oz and will give you more room inside but has a front entry and less usable space in the vestibule.  

Like bows, everybody is going to have a different opinion on tents. If you have an REI or other mountaineering store near you it would be wise to stop by and set several up and see which one fits your needs the best.   Good luck on your hunt!!
X2  there really isn't any way to tell what's going to work unless you can actually get inside the thing

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 10:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by DarkTimber:

X2  there really isn't any way to tell what's going to work unless you can actually get inside the thing

Offline cliffy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
I just went through this process.  I ended up getting a Sierra Designs Vapor Light 2.  Next to an REI Half Dome seems smaller but it's just for me ant the gear.  I looked hard at the Agnes Fly Creek 2.  Vapor Light 2 weighs a little more (I think around 3.5lbs is weight) compared to the sub 3 of the Fly Creek but I read some reviews that noted it was a little more sturdy in bad weather.  I considered the SD Clip Flashlight but decided to pay a little more for a freestanding tent.  In the end I think the prime factors to consider are 1) weight vs cost, 2) front entry vs side entry; every manufacture seems to make pretty good tents.   I think in retrospect I should have considered the side entry higher in my requirements because it does provide some added convenience when wx is poor.  Good luck with your choice.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »
Shoot South Cox AKA(Bivy Hunter)a PM he hunts that country may he could give you some in site on what type of tent you might need.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
I recently picked up an REI passage 2. Packs down nice, plenty big, double doors, double vestibules, and free standing. A bit heavier (low 4's I think) but can be setup with just the footprint and rain fly when weight is a concern. Best part is it can be found on sale for around $100.

This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline BigJ1632

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
MSR makes some neat designs.  I have an MSR and a Mountain Hardware tent.  Also just purchased a Big Agnes family sized tent and have been happy with it.  Happy hunting!
HH Wesley Special 58@31
Martin ML14 50@28
Bear Hunter T/D 50@28

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
I think I have it narrowed down to these:
Big Agnes
Easton
Mountain Hardware
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Stone Sheep

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
Tarp tent Rainbow. Best backpacking tent that I have owned.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Board of Directors (past)
United Bowunters of Missouri Board of Directors

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2013, 12:03:00 AM »
I've used quite a few tents and have been sold on the side entry vs the front entry. Typically, you'll get a larger more functional vestibule with a side entry. Also, they are much easier for a single person to get out. If you are camping with a buddy, make sure the tent has double doors so you don't have to climb over each other. Front entry, single door tents might be a better choice for two people, but rain is more likely to fall into the tent when you open the rain fly. If you're doing most of your hunting in later September, you may want to look for a used MSR Hubba Hubba HP (2 person). The HP has solid fabric running up the walls higher than the original Hubba or Carbon Reflex models. I LOVE the Hubba series tents and feel they're really hard tj beat for the money. Tarptent also makes a killer tent. If you're looking at Easton, I'd look at the Rimrock over the Kilo.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2013, 10:28:00 AM »
Thanks South. More looking needed.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »
Ok, the MSR Hubba Hubba HP is the winner! Comes in at just about 3lbs, side door, good size vestibule, good protection from the elements.  Backcountry is here in town. Heading that way today. It's been raining here pretty good. I think I'll pitch it in the yard for a test run.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2013, 11:29:00 AM »
Let us know what you think about it once it's up.

I like my side entry Mountain Hardwear, but...
there is always a "next" tent.

Thanks.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©