3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lightweight backpacking tents?  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lightweight backpacking tents?
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »
I'm in the market for a new one too, but I have a nasty medical issue that makes the choice difficult: i get extremely bad cramps in my left calf & adductor muscle in my thigh, usually during rest.  they're not true cramps but muscle spasms, requiring that I stand up and try to straighten the leg NOW!!  Rapid exit from the bag/tent becomes an issue. These side-entry models, can you exit quickly-and I mean REALLY quick!!
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
They don't have an eject button, but you can get out of them faster than wriggling out of a front entry. Unzip tent door on body of tent, second zipper on vestibule and swing your legs out first. Don't forget to exit your sleeping bag too.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by snag:
Ok, the MSR Hubba Hubba HP is the winner! Comes in at just about 3lbs, side door, good size vestibule, good protection from the elements.  Backcountry is here in town. Heading that way today. It's been raining here pretty good. I think I'll pitch it in the yard for a test run.
You won't regret it and get the footprint
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2013, 05:36:00 PM »
Let me know how you like it David. We are looking for a new backpacking tent too. What was that one you and I were in the Blues? Is it heavy? I'm gonna bring three kids by for a "shop tour" sometime next week or the week after...
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2013, 10:37:00 PM »
Russ, that one we used was an REI model that isn't available any longer. It is about 5lbs. The MSR is 3lbs for the one man. The two man is 4lb 8oz.
 http://www.rei.com/product/810183/msr-hubba-hubba-2p-tent
The two man has the two side doors. I like the full coverage rain fly on these. The waterproof bottom has a taller lip also.

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2013, 10:46:00 PM »
Can't believe no one mentioned Exped or Hilleberg which most agree are hands down the best available, and yes, they are more money for very good reasons . Check them out if you want the best.

Online Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2013, 11:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by snag:
I think I have it narrowed down to these:
Big Agnes
Easton
Mountain Hardware
David, I have used a BA Seedhouse 2 for many years.  No complaints and it has never let me down.  I don't even know if the still make it and know they do have lighter.  All my BA stuff has been excellent.

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2013, 11:21:00 PM »
I have been doing all the research for the past week or so and everything leads me to the Tarptent Double Rainbow.  Anyone have any negative or positive feedback?
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2013, 11:26:00 PM »
The best thing about the tarptent DOUBLE RAINBOW is the name. Never seen the tent but that name makes me laugh. Hit youtube if you don't know why.
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2013, 12:45:00 AM »
I just used a black diamond mega light shelter for a 6 day pack rafting trip. I was pleased with it. easy to set up. But it is what it is says it is a shelter. It is a light light weight floor less shelter advertised a a four man that slept 2 people with plenty of room. Advertised weight is 2 lbs 13 oz. This is with the center pole which I left home and just used the boat paddle for a center pole.

Offline Bill Frederick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
I own a Shangri-La 5 and a Mountain Laurel Designs Super Mid.  I'd recommend them both.  

Pyramids have some nice features, lots of room for the weight, you can stand up in them, easy to set up, no floor (Super Mid) or removable floor (Shangri-La) so you don't have to worry about tracking in dirt.

One down side is they are not freestanding but I haven't found that to be an issue in most places.

For $300 the Shangri-La gives you a lot of options.  At 5.67 lbs you get a "fly" , fully enclosed inner mesh "nest" with floor, includes lines, pole and 8 stakes with a lot of room.  In non-buggy conditions, leave the nest at home and have a dry shelter comfortable for 4 adults and a little gear for 2.88 lbs.  You can even leave the pole at home and use a branch to save another 13 oz.

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »
David,

I think you'll be very happy with the MSR.  Here is my Hubba Hubba HP on a mule deer hunt in Colorado.  It took some brutal wind and never flinched.  Like others have said above, the side entry and double doors / vestibule is realy nice when hunting with a partner (almost manditory for me)

When I'm hunting alone I use a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 which has the front entry.  It's definately not as convinent as side entry but when I can't split weight with a partner I'm willing to sacrafice a little for the weight savings.   Good Luck

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2013, 02:45:00 PM »
I had a double rainbow for a bit.  Nice shelter but a little tight for two grown ups.  Just sold it so I could pick up a rainshadow.  Tarptent just released a new three person tent that looks killer.  Would be my first choice if I were shopping for a new tent.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »
Great pic DarkTimber! That looks like home!

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2013, 05:45:00 PM »
The MSR hubba hubba 1 man tent arrived today. So after lunch I pulled it out and set it up in the living room. I got inside to check out the size....and my dog walks in and lays down next to me! haha  Too funny. He gave his approval I guess.

This tent is so well made. Everything is reinforced where the tie downs are. The vestibule is plenty large enough for my boots and pack. AND it is pretty lightweight at just over 3lbs.
So I'm in the tent with the dog thinking about the tent and the hunt coming up when my phone rings! Had to persuade the dog to move out of the way...only one door and he was in it! haha  It was a guy who has ordered arrows from me before. I told him that he would never guess what I had to do to get to the phone! We both had a good laugh at that one.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »
Glad you like it David
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©