3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Proper use of a compass  (Read 960 times)

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Proper use of a compass
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 07:25:00 AM »
I use one all the time however my landscape makes it impossible to triangulate.  If lost you just have to head in a general direction of say a creek   or ridge to locate your self.  Does any one know how to tell time with a compass. I have forgotten.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 07:42:00 AM »
I have forgotten Many ways you could use the compass including telling time.  I remember you had to look at the horizon.  

Compasses have saved my keester more than once. its amazing how simple and reliable they can be.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 08:13:00 AM »
i would take a compass in woods before a GPS...especially if unfamiliar woods.  I never use a compass without a GPS with me either...

First thing I do is go into my Delorme computer program and download sat imagery or quads of the area in question.  Once on property I orient my map and compass to north taking into account any magnetic deviation if going into a large area.

I let my GPS sync up and use it for most part especially in open terrain but if the really, thick, overgrown swamps here in south...I end up having to use compass as the walking is too slow when you are slogging through a swamp knee deep in black water and cypress knees with constant turns to watch a GPS.  They will lose signal sometimes in very thick canopy...and take some movement before the compass portion works correctly.....so a compass is a life saver...literally.

Dont have to triangulate position using terrain features if you do your work and use the compass correctly...makes it easier to find your spot but if you start off it helps to remember a couple things:

- ensure your compass is accurate...with another compass or a known direction based on GPS, compass, or surveyor marks.  Compass' can be bad and give poor readings....always compare two or three together to see if you get same reading.  Keep them spaced apart though...as any metal or other magnetic sources will affect indication.

- get a good 1:50 or 1:24 topo....learn how to read contour elevations and elevation points and identify sheer cliffs versus rolling hills...even in supposed flat terrain there is some deviation.

- practice with your compass and GPS around back yard or a public park first...very important to know how to use your equipment BEFORE you need to.  Consider doing a GEOCACHING event or two to learn GPS use and also compare it to your compass...some people that helps.

- When starting on journey I look for direction I want to had, terrain obstacles, etc...then I make short destinations....as soon as I enter the unfamiliar terrain I pick a visible landmark...tree, hill, pond, deadfall, telephone pole, etc...that is in the same line or general line as your DESIRED direction of travel.  Follow that terrain feature so you are heads up looking around and being aware of your surroundings.  When you get to it....stop, check chart, confirm direction...take another reading to your next point and find a terrain feature to focus and direct your travel.  Do it again.  make your trip a bunch of small short trips to visible points...never orienteer blind (heads down the entire way only by compass especially at night...as you will need to watch your surroundings to prevent walking into any hazards).  Your navigation will be much more accurate with many small destinations along the way and counting your paces to match up against the chart distance legend

- If hunting a block of woods that are not a long distance but unfamiliar....I take a reading looking into the general direction of travel I want and then note direction to any hard or soft ball roads, rivers, creeks, homesteads, etc.  That way in an emergency I dont have to find my way through 5 miles of dark woods to get to my truck...might be easier to walk 200 meters out to a road then take the long way around to my truck to get me home quicker in that situation...so always have a safety route out to the nearest line of communication rather than slogging back through whatever you spent the last 10 hours fighting to get where you are. LOL

- dont cheap out on compasses....the little bow-clothing-zipper versions are good for survival or emergencies...but not for 99% of the other times.  Get a good one...I like Suunto for all around use and accuracy but spent years using military style lensatic.  My normal compass in my haversack is the    Suunto M3 DL   Suunto M3 D/L and can get from Amazon for $30-40.  My backup compass is a    Brunton OSS 30B   Brunton OSS 30B that also has declination and scale and such...just not as precise as the Suunto in my opinion but is only $19.

On recent trip to swamps of Georgia I found myself in swamp chasing hogs....spent most of day in swamp going round and round from high ground to high ground.  Compass and GPS guiding me back to camp after hours of tiring slogging in knee high muck and water before dark.  Compass batteries died and had no extras so focused solely on compass for final leg of journey....but compass was more accurate with the slow going in swamp and to get me home in that case.  Glow in dark bezel indicators...flashlight...topo map and be prepared to spend the night in wilderness and you will be fine.  Though I dont recommend traveling at night in unfamiliar territory especially with significant terrain elevations nearby or even old abandon wells or mines in low terrain.

Learn how to use a compass and topo map and you can go anywhere...

Optics Planet and Amazon both usually have good pricing on compasses...but do some research and decide for yourself what you need and what you can afford.  I recommend one with ability to use lanyard, with contoured edges and rotating bezel at minimum.

There are far more expensive compasses out there...get what you are comfortable with but for basic orienteering or backcountry excursions I dont think you can go wrong with a Suunto...and in the big scheme of things...$40 is nothing and is cheap to me...actually the $19 I paid for my Brunton was almost a reason to ignore it...but needed a second backup compass as my military issued lensatic died on me and was not reliable after 15 years.  Spend $30-60 on a good compass and learn how to use it.  Many companies offer free tutorials and the Boy Scouts have a good tutorial as well....or a military service survival manual will have it as well.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 08:46:00 AM »
I made the mistake of relying on "someone else to bring the compass" on an elk hunt in the Mtns of Northern CO. Never again.

We thought we knew enough to take a shortcut. A very interesting story but too long to tell now.  Suffice to say we took the shortcut at noon and should have been back to camp by 1:00 or so.  Literally by the grace of God we walked out to a road got picked up by a guy and he drove us back to camp.  I think it was about 10:30.  I could not hardly put one foot in front of the other.

The only amusing thing about this story was when he asked us where we were camped we couldn't even tell him cause we did not know where we were.  When he asked where we were hunting, we told him a certain named park.  He said " you guys were in ------ Park and you walked out to here? I am impressed".
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 09:10:00 AM »
They don't need batteries. You can get away with a relatively cheap Silva too.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Stumpknocker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 12:05:00 PM »
I would feel slap 'nekkid' without one.   I love gps and all the cool nav apps and use them alot for work.  However, I always have a compass and took the time long ago to become very proficient in land navigation.  Good land nav skills should be part of every outdoorsy tool box.   Learn to read a map, too!   It amazes me how many people are graduating with degrees in outdoor professions who do not know how to read a map.  Maps are awesome assets to any outdoor ventures.  

A good compass with sighting mirror is a must have in my pack for work, hunt, or fish.  I love tech, but old school doesn't run out of batteries or satellite signal.
Let's go to the woods and learn things about life (Penelope, age 4, to me).  

plx osage 62" 56@28
sax bocote 60" 54@28
Morrison Shawnee 56" 56@28

Offline TraditionalGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
I love this thread. I once "tested" a GPS when I was in the army back in 1992. Then it was heavier than a PRC-77 radio and took about 20 minutes to relay the coordinates back to you. I never did go back, despite how portable they are now. I have yet to get lost in the woods, although I have from time to time found myself geographically embarrassed. Knowing how to read a map and use a compass are skills every hunter needs to possess.

Funny story. I took a buddy out hunting last year for the first time. He busted out his iPhone when I asked to see his compass. I thought it was a joke, but it turns out he was serious. He only got lost 3 times that day haha.
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.”
H. L. Mencken

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »
My compass is attached to my GPS with a long piece of raw hide. I get a reading where I want to go with my GPS and then turn it off and use compass to get there.

Offline Dimondback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
Have a nice GPS and use it often....but the Army spent a lot of time and energy to teach me map, compass and terrain orientation skills so I still carry one of each and end up using them often.
"Do or Do Not, There is no "Try"
Martin Savannah 45#
3PC Home Built Longbow 53# @ 28"
MAJ - SCARNG 1998 - Present

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 02:49:00 PM »
After 40 years of wandering the Adirondacks you learn to trust a compass early on. I have a GPS and it is a great tool, but I always carry at least 3 compass and a map. I have had all 3 out on a log to make sure they were not playing games with my head....they weren't...lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2013, 03:46:00 PM »
For several years, I've been on a personal crusade to stamp out the use of lensatic compasses by hunters and others going into the woods. They're great when you jarheads want to call in mortar fire, but the orienteering style compass is far superior for non-military applications:    Orienteering compass  

Here's a link to my free two-page guide to some tips for navigating with map and compass:
   Page 1

Page 2  

Here's some excellent advice from a long-time wilderness navigator that I know:
   "Terrain Association, Observational Navigation, Map and Compass" by Paul Repak

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »
I use compass and GPS and intend to transition to GPS. My son and I took a GPS class at REI a few years ago, one of the attendees was a bona fide GPS expert and pioneer from long ago. He arrived late and had got lost using his GPS-not judging; just sayin'! LOL

Offline shirikahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2013, 06:18:00 PM »
I started serious with a compass in search and rescue on the Kenai Peninsula at age 13.  With a little practice you will be downright amazingly accurate w/ a good topo map.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
Most places I hunt you don't need either one but a compass comes along when in a new spot or a couple real thick areas I hint sometimes. It is nice to do a quick check so as not to get too far off if you get turned around. I must say a GPS is handy for finding stands in the dark in new hunting areas.

I have never really learned to navigate with a compass. Always wanted to and plan to if I ever go to hunt an area with large tracks of land and few roads.  I think it would be a fun thing to do with the kids as they get a little older.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2013, 10:39:00 PM »
This is a great backup to GPS. For a beginner, a good place to start is the Boy Scout field manual (very simple). Also, there are many outdoor skills books and military manuals that will be helpful. Back in the day when I ran a Scout troop, map & compass training was an important part of our program. These skills still come in handy sometimes. Don't concentrate solely on the compass itself; become familiar with reading the map properly.
Sam

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2013, 11:39:00 PM »
I bought a course from eidsvolling on a St Jude Auction.  I sure learned a lot...but I sure could use a refresher Charles    ;)  tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by shirikahn:
I started serious with a compass in search and rescue on the Kenai Peninsula at age 13.  With a little practice you will be downright amazingly accurate w/ a good topo map.
Absolutely.....a fella that's good with a map and compass and who knows the declination of the area will be spot on!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »
Make sure you understand declination and how it changes as you move around the country and learn how to orientate the map and compass.  I have a Silva Ranger (older model) and a late model Sunto. Brunton bought Silva Ranger and the new one I bought from REI a couple years ago was made in Indonesia. It was defective right out of the packaging. When I tried to set the declination I discovered the needle wasn't spinning freely. I returned it and got the Sunto (made in Finland) nice compass.  Both go with me, one around my neck one in the pack.
Always check your cardinal directions before leaving camp if in a new area or you've set up camp in the dark.  I have a story but just do it.  Sometimes what you think is North isn't.

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by tippit:
I bought a course from eidsvolling on a St Jude Auction.  I sure learned a lot...but I sure could use a refresher Charles     ;)   tippit
PM sent.

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2013, 11:18:00 PM »
I always pack 2 compasses with me at all times.  I also carry a GPS and use it but I found that once I have the general direction needed to go via the GPS, the compass gets me there quicker and easier.  I have also been in areas where a GPS has a hard time getting locked-on due to obstructions.  A compass never has this issue but can be thrown off by any metallic or iron element close by it.  I learned long ago it is good to have both a back-up and a 2nd reference.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©