3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Adapter and Broadhead fitting...help  (Read 436 times)

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Adapter and Broadhead fitting...help
« on: June 24, 2013, 10:44:00 PM »
My adapters don't fit into the head quite as far as I'd like....see pics below. It might be hard to see, but there is still a small gap. I'd like to see the adapter another 1/32-1/16" further in.

Is this ok?

The head is a 200 grain Ace Super Express and the adapter is a 42 grain aluminum sized 11/32". I'm having the same issue with all 6 adapters/heads.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Adapter and Broadhead fitting...help
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 10:45:00 PM »

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 10:47:00 PM »

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
If it spins true I wouldn't worry about it. Looks like you have enough bearing surface between the adapter and broadhead.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 11:40:00 PM »
You might try 5/16" adapters.  I've never had any luck getting 11/32" adapters to fit in Ace heads.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 10:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by Biathlonman:
You might try 5/16" adapters.  I've never had any luck getting 11/32" adapters to fit in Ace heads.
I think that's what I'm gona try.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
I'd suggest you try the 36 grain Sweetlands.  They are just a gnat hair smaller than the regular 11/32" 42 grain models and will be closer to what you need over jumping clear down to a 5/16".

But the ones you have will work just fine too.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »
TXAg if you were shooting woodies that WOOD be no problem to fix    :bigsmyl:  I bet your new Super D will love some wood.    :wavey:

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by SAVIOUR68:
TXAg if you were shooting woodies that WOOD be no problem to fix      :bigsmyl:    I bet your new Super D will love some wood.      :wavey:  
Haha, I think you're right.  I plan on trying some woodies when I get the new bow!!

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 12:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Braveheart Archery:
I'd suggest you try the 36 grain Sweetlands.  They are just a gnat hair smaller than the regular 11/32" 42 grain models and will be closer to what you need over jumping clear down to a 5/16".

But the ones you have will work just fine too.
Thanks for the insight Tim.  I had one 5/16" on hand and fooled with it today...I think they'll work ok so I placed an order with you.  If they don't work out for some reason, I'll grab some sweetlands from you.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 06:56:00 AM »
TxAg- I'm with you on this... I hate the adapter not fitting flush with the bop. Another issue with those adapters is they don't fit down past the opening on zwickey heads. It's nit picky stuff and I know from experience it means nothing in regards to killing deer.  Post a pic of how the 5/16 adp fits when you get them.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Blaino:
TxAg- I'm with you on this... I hate the adapter not fitting flush with the bop. Another issue with those adapters is they don't fit down past the opening on zwickey heads. It's nit picky stuff and I know from experience it means nothing in regards to killing deer.  Post a pic of how the 5/16 adp fits when you get them.
Here's a pic with the 5/16" adapter. It fits down into the ferrule about 1/16". I don't see how that would hurt anything so I think I'm gona go with these. It actually allows the tip of my arrow to fit nicely against the adapter and just inside the ferrule.

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
Jeff this is a off topic but did you get a call from Dan today about a bow [D]    :bigsmyl:  mine will ship next Friday coming home to S.Texas.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
Oh yea! I like the idea of the shaft fitting inside the ferrule. Good stuff    :thumbsup:
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by SAVIOUR68:
Jeff this is a off topic but did you get a call from Dan today about a bow [D]     :bigsmyl:   mine will ship next Friday coming home to S.Texas.
Not yet!  He has one of my Whips that he's refinishing, so I figure he'll send both at one time. I figured it would be next week before I hear anything.

Post up pics when you get yours.

Online Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
I invert my drill in my vise (like a mini lathe), and tighten my adapters in the chuck (threads & stem section only) and turn them down to exactly the size taper per my chosen BH.  It works really well!  I remove steel by bringing a mill bastard to bare, lightly pushing over the adaptor to reduce the dia.  It doesn't take much, so start slowly and keep checking for the desired fit ***please use eye protection***  Every BH requires a slightly different taper.  Yes all are ~ 5 degrees, but the truth is in the detail.  Note: most adapters require the most reduction at the rear of the taper, so leave the front un-touched initially.

I can get any BH to spin perfectly and will always fit the adapter flush to the back of the BH.  It makes for a very clean and strong fit.

Kris

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©