3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The gauntlet has been thrown.............  (Read 445 times)

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
The gauntlet has been thrown.............
« on: June 25, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
The gauntlet has been thrown and come September the education will unfold.
Seems that even with my successes the guys at work still dont take trad. tackle serious, for in there eyes im " just lucky", well folks come Sep. were going to have a shop outing at a local archery shoot and im sure the boys are gonna get a bit of an education.
There will be one other trad. shooter other than myself, the other 5 to 6 will be shooting compounds, each will shoot from there respective stake.
Win lose or draw its gonna be a great time with friends but im thinking they may have a new respect for the old stick and string after this because the "Hillbilly Troll" as they call me at work is gonna give'm a run for there money!   :biglaugh:

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The gauntlet has been thrown.............
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 04:34:00 PM »
Hillbilly Troll......I like it!!   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    Let us know the out come!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
Sure beats the dickens out of a company golf outing.
   :biglaugh:

Offline huntmaster70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 05:05:00 PM »
After that talk em' into a stump shoot & see how long untill their arras are broke or lost.

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
All right Moleman!   I'm sure you will make a fine showing, just try to be modest afterwards.

If you want to teach them the difference between skill and technology, ask them to trade bows with you for a few shots, ouch!
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 07:49:00 PM »
Well, perhaps there should be a few novelty shots thrown in for good measure like moving targets, extreme close ups (1 or 2 feet). throw in a few brushy or rocky holes to shoot through.  Make it fun!!!!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline BowDiddle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »
If your compound buddies can't out shoot you with their CB's & sights, they suck. 8^)

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by RecurveRookie:
All right Moleman!   I'm sure you will make a fine showing, just try to be modest afterwards.

If you want to teach them the difference between skill and technology, ask them to trade bows with you for a few shots, ouch!
Funny you should bring that up RecurveRookie, theres been a number of times when ive had my gear with me during deer season and the fellas just had try there hand at at least drawing a trad. bow, I thought they were going to blow a seal in the process of getting to full draw, a 70 lb longbow aint quite the same as a 70 lb compound.
   :biglaugh:
Good times with good friends is what its all about, training wheels or not.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »
I feel you pain, lol.  Few years back had the same situation here at work with a bunch of guys shooting "modern" tackle.  For the life of me I never understood why they wanted to bash my choice and say how bad it was.  So, after this went on for few years and me putting venison in the freezer and many of them not and the bashing still coming on, I too dropped the gauntlet.  I took a lesson Mr. Hill always used and told them to meet at the club.  There was 4 of them who showed (others couldn't make it, supposedly), and we had 3 "witness's".  I explained that there are 30 target's on the course, the front 15 we shoot there way, the back I get to pick.  Of course they started out with 35-40 yards shots and I barely held my own, do to not practicing at the ranges, and they was suprised.  The last leg, is where they was mad, I mean beat red in the face mad.  As, they had to realize the limitation of there tackle from twisting shot's, moving target's, and shooting from laying down.  One guy, after third target on back and first lying shot, complained that no one would use that in hunting situation.  I explained plenty that did, and I used it on a stalk too.  He just quit, said B.S..  The others at least tried.  After it was over and I was declared the winner and they admitted they was humbled.  I said, "It doesn't matter what you use as long as you ar familiar with your limitations, it's not for everyone to commit and spend time to master it, just as many will never become pro's at sports.  My bow will never shoot the speed or as acurate as your's but same token, you now see the limitation that it can cost on real world situations."  One guy, took it up as well as one "judge" a wife of the guy whom quit.  And they both had great success, and yes to this day the husband get's mad when she comes home with meat.

Offline hedgerowhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  Go easy on them, don't make them cry to bad  :laughing:    :archer2:

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
They may be very critical, but I bet a bunch of them want to try out your equipment. You may have difficulty getting it away from them. Sounds like fun. Set up a couple of targets that are "obscured" in the manner that trad setups often are and see if they holler when the shooting lane is not wide open. Take pics.
Sam

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
For some, it seems that seeing is believing. Im not trying to convince them to make the switch but rather have them see that trad. tackle is as efficient and lethal as there block and tackle while having fun at the same time.
I feel I can  hold my own for a few ( not many ) long shots but once in my effective range, the boys may be in for a serious spanking.
I may not win, but I think they will for sure see trad. gear as quiet, effective, accurate and very lethal when its all done.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
All of my compound shooting friends used to come here and shoot with me... that is until one day we decided to play a game of horse.

It took me a little while but I finally won a round so it was up to me to choose the next shot... I did, they quit and went home...lol

I guess it was fun for them as long as they could win but laying on your back shooting wasn't something they wanted to even attempt...lol

I will say I miss all of them but not their  choice of armament...lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »
That will be fun Paul. I shot against my neighbor :  His wheelie against my longbow. We shot from 20 to 70 yrds. He out shot me from 30 to 70 yrds., but not by a lot. It was pretty tied under 30 yrds. He was pretty amazed I could hit a pie plate size area at 40 to 70 yrds. I let him try my bow, he missed the target completely at 20 yrds- twice.

Give them hell Troll, I know you can shoot!    :bigsmyl:
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
It's a hoot moleman!

I was shooting at a local outdoor range this weekend when they (CB shooters) started looking my rig.  I started shooting a bag at 15-20 yards to warm up and I could see they were impressed even with that.  

I watched them shoot at 50-60 yards (12-14" groups) all the while tweeking and tweeking their equipment.  I think they were actually overbowed.  Then one of the guys shot at a turkey at 40 yards. It was a lethal shot but not a bulls-eye. I figured it was my turn.  I just stepped up there and 10 ringed it like it was a chip shot. I was smiling more than them ..... inside!       :biglaugh:              :biglaugh:
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 04:22:00 PM »
My few archery friends are all CB guys.  They are amazed that anyone can hit anything without sights. That's funny.

I guess it seems difficult and a big commitment, and nobody wants to take a step "backwards" and give up all that speed, imho.    

70# longbow?  I'm gonna start calling you ........"Molemonster"!

Go Moleman GO!!
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©