3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sharpening challenged?  (Read 730 times)

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Sharpening challenged?
« on: June 25, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
Why on Earth can't I sharpen a two blade broadhead?  I'm a wizard with a three blade head.  Ma3, snuffer, woodsman, doesn't matter I can have them shaving in just a few minutes.

With two blade heads I've just about tried it all.  Lansky, KME, accusharp.  I seem to have the best results with the accusharp, but even then I'm hit and miss.  I'm going to give it another week, then I'm throwing in the towel!  I'll just shoot three blades at everything!  Anybody else suffer this malady?

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sharpening challenged?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
That is why I use 3 blade heads myself.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
Right there with ya brother.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 10:29:00 PM »
you are probably using to much pressure on your stone or sharpener. Light strokes work best
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
Call KME here will talk you through it.  Too much pressure and jumping to a finer grit too soon are the usual suspects.  You must get the planes to intersect.  If you go to finer grit before that you will get a shiny dull blade.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Xander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 11:50:00 PM »
Most all sharpening issues arise from not enough time spent at lower grits to reach full apex, and inconsistant angle.  Since you are using sharpening systems, you can rule out angle changes.  You need a good strong light directly overhead, and at least 10x magnification.  Try coloring the edge of the blade with a sharpie, when you think you're done with a grit, check it under magnification, you will see the sharpie where you did not reach apex.  Recolor the edge every time you switch grits.

Once you get to apex you likely built up a burr, or wire edge.  This needs to be removed once you get to the final grits.  Stropping on a loaded balsa strop works, or plain fiber board (think ceral box) or plain leather.  Strop only in edge trailing strokes and stop the stroke, then lift the blade straight up, avoid turning your wrist to try and flick/roll the blade off the end of the strop like a bugs bunny cartoon barber episode.

Pyramid steps work very well for ultra keen edges, I use pyramid steps when sharpening my straight razors (30 passes one side, 30 passes other side, then whatever increment step down like 5 passes less until you get to 10 or 5 and do one step increments.)  In general you decrease pressure incrementally with each step up in grit.  Your final passes should be uder the weight of the blade only.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
-Xander

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
Yep never have been able to accomplish this either.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 11:58:00 PM »
I agree with above.  Before going to finer grits, you have to have a burred edge or you'll never get it sharp in a finer grit.  I persoanlly just use a file as it is quiick and easy for me.  But the KME broadhead sharpener will get it scarry sharp.  Ron can explain it best.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 12:03:00 AM »
Accusharp or equivalent and a strop, works easy!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 12:04:00 AM »
Wheel sharpener and a ceramic stick afterwards. Works like a champ.  Broadhead steel makes a difference, but I've had good luck with Magnus, Eclipse, Simmons, and Ace.

Offline Xander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 12:20:00 AM »
Fwiw, there is only one requirement and two options in sharpening.

All sharpening takes an investment, you choose either time or money.

The time investment is learning to sharpen effectively and repeatably freehand.  No expensive systems to buy, no special stones or rods for each system.  Just some good quality SiC sandpaper in appropriate grits and a very flat surface like glass or granite tile.

The money investment is in guided systems.  These have a much quicker learning curve and produce excellent results very fast.

So, each person chooses what's for them, but they all must make this choice.

On a side note, I never develop a burr when sharpening razors or very fine edges.  

Cheers!
-Xander

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 12:23:00 AM »
I've never met a 2 blade broadhead I couldn't get scary sharp with my Lansky. I do however use the extra coarse stone for a while depending on how much material needs to be removed. Once the bevel is established, I count down the strokes per side starting at 20 with each stone and gradually and softly polish the blade. After that I use a leather strop and I'm done.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 12:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by TxAg:
Wheel sharpener and a ceramic stick afterwards. Works like a champ.  Broadhead steel makes a difference, but I've had good luck with Magnus, Eclipse, Simmons, and Ace.
x 2, assuming you are talking about the RADA wheelie sharpener, or something similiar.

Less time sharpening, more time hunting.
Any method of sharpening that I can't easily and quickly use in the field I avoid like the plague.

Offline tawmio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 12:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by TxAg:
X2
The ceramic rod can be found for under $7 I use it a lot to touch up an edge
Have a look at the link below

You will have to look long to beat this setup for the price, there's nothing you can't sharpen within reason on this machine.
My wife hates it since it gets more attention than her  :)

http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Grinder-Sharpener/T10097

The leather wheel is good but takes too long to remove the burr of some steel so I use the ceramic rod for that as well.

Good luck
-just add effort.

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 01:04:00 AM »
After I get the bevels set I like to use ceramic sticks to hone the last part. It takes a little longer but it really works good. I think most people are pushing on the blade too hard when sharpening. When I am finishing a blade I am barely touching the blade. Another problems is not switching sides between strokes. Gary

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 01:40:00 AM »
I'm just the opposite, 3 blades give me fits (though I'm improving) but I can knock out a 2 blade with the KME in no time.  The light bulb came on for me when I spent enough time with the course stone setting the bevel.  Set the bevel on both sides, raise a burr the entire length of the edge on one, then very lightly take the burr off.  Once I figured that out, it was easy to get 2 blades sharp.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »
Brad, if you ever get down I-64 in Shelby County pull off the road and I'll see if I can give you some help on one.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
Not wishing bad luck on you, but it feels good to know that I am not the only one with such challenges!. I double the advice on not using too much pressure as a light touch seems to help me a lot.
Sam

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 05:06:00 PM »
I taught myself how to sharpen a 2 blade withn a file many years back when we didn't have all these systems. I just use a good file and a lot of experience. I can have a broadhead shaving sharp in a couple minutes with just a file. It will come to you with experience.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
I'm with slivrslingr, I can't sharpen 3 blades worth a hoot, but I have no trouble with 2 blades. Go figure    :banghead:
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©