3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who makes your favorite Wool Jackets?  (Read 4334 times)

Offline Deer Slayer

• Trad Bowhunter
Who makes your favorite Wool Jackets?
« on: January 19, 2007, 01:40:00 PM »
Looking for a good wool hunting jacket and pant what do you use and and recommend??

Offline Rich LaBombard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who makes your favorite Wool Jackets?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »
Deer Slayer:
I wasn't sure what to buy, myself.  I wanted the "tradition" of wool, but didn't want to spend $500 on a KOM.  I'm sure they are good, but I don't  have the budget for that.

I asked Santa to bring me a Cabela's Outfitter's wool parka. (camo)

Santa came through, and I got it.

I was surprised that although it seemed well made, it didn't seem "warm", if you know what I mean?

It had a thin liner, and appeared to have little insulation.  
I put on my hunting gear, and sat on the deck with a book for about 20 minutes in 20 degree weather.

I could feel the cold seeping in.  
With regret, I returned it.  The season was pretty much over, so I am looking around for something else.
Maybe someone will have the opposite review, but that was "one man's experience".

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »
Rich's experience is one example of spending the extra money up front, it ends up being cheaper.  You'll get a bunch of peoople jumping in with cheap wool, wool blends, the local thrift store, this is as good as that, etc...

I own KOM, SI, Autumnwood, Grey Wolf, Wheatherby, Filson...etc...IMO, Autumnwood is the best wool clothing made.  The others are all excellent, but the design and quality of my Autumnwood superior.

That said, KOM or the others don't have to be $500+ dollars...ebay has constant sales of KOM at very good prices...the classifieds here have hits from time to time (I happen to be selling some for a good price  ;)  as is another member).  Hit the outdoor shows these makers go to...always sale stuff.

Think it through...save your money up...buy it one time...you'll be glad you did.

Offline Howard S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »
Deer Slayer & Rich,
I have Gray Wolf and love it.  I've found that by layering with various weights of wicking long johns with a fleece vest and wader pants as an additional layer I can withstand very cold temps. I wash my jack & pants once a year using the delicate cycle and they are good to go.

Howard

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 02:45:00 PM »
I really like the product and service from Gray Wolf Woolens (see the sponsor list here). I found them the best of the wool products I've used (including woolrich and King of the Mountain, and Filson(pants)).

I've had several pieces for 5 years and there's no sign of wear. In my opinion, unless you gain weight or crawl accross shale in the rain, it's going to be a lifetime purchase.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 02:49:00 PM »
I agree 100% with what bjk stated about spending your hard earned $$$ one time on what is right for you...If you are gonna be in a tree stand for hours, in a ground blind from before daylight...Whatever conditions you put yourself in...If you stay still, you are going to feel the cold...

In my opinion Autumnwood IS superior to any other wool because of its design...I own a lined pull over hooded jacket...Cost me plenty...Wish I had bibs also!!
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 03:00:00 PM »
I have had good success with a KOM vest over a Pendleton wool shirt, over a good set of wickable underwear. I use Johnson Mills wool pants over wickable long drawers. Wickable liner sock and a good blended outdoor sock is a must. Stay away from cotton. I top this off with a neck gaiter, a wool hat and a pair of lined golf gloves. If I get cold with this on I'll do a little still hunting, head to the vehicle or take it to the house cause its just to cold. Can only remember giving up the hunt once because of cold weather and that was along time ago before I had the proper clothing. Rain will drive me in a lot quicker than cold.

For those of you who have never owned KOM it is my experience that it runs a little small. If you normally wear a large get an XL. Bernie Parsons is a KOM Outfitter who advertises in Traditional Bowhunter Magazine. Give Bernie a call. He will answer all of your questions and occasionally has clothing he has taken back on trade. Good stuff, fairly priced.

Offline Deer Slayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 04:27:00 PM »
Thanks fellas. I have never heard of Autumnwood before, do they have a website or other way to get a hold of them and see their products?? Thank you very much for your input gentlemen!

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 04:27:00 PM »
bjk

I'll offer my opinion on Autumnwood.  I own Sleeping Indian Bibs and pullovers and an Autunmwood pullover.

Love the SI.  Hate the Autumnwood.  Autumnwoods appears to be the cheapest grade of wool and the loosest weave and not nearly as thick as the SI.  The nylon lining in the Autumnwoods pullover is the noisiest thing in the world.  I did not stay warm in the Autumnwoods.  I feel the Sleeping Indian is 10x better in terms of quality, construction, fabric etc.....

Just throwing out my opinion.
Otto

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
I can't comment on all the products here.  Orion suggested some Weatherby wool.  I purchased the jacket and pants and like em both.  They had a clearance as Weatherby no longer makes the stuff.  I posted to a wool thread on here where  you guys could get the stuff.  I'm sure it is all gone now as this was before the Christmas season.  I paid under $300 and got a parka and vest.  Thank you Orion!
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 04:36:00 PM »
I own too many Filson garments.They are absolutely tight knit,warm and durable.The double mackinaw may be too heavy for trad hunting.ie, the sleeves are very large.I wear a vest almost everyday and it is warm when your on the go.Put a lighter Filson jacket over that and youll be good to go.Their weave is very wind proof and there is camo available as well as a myriad of other patterns.Their long johns are 2nd to none,so soft you cant tell theyre wool.Check their catalog they add new items pretty regularly.And theyre made in the good ol USA.Good luck.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 04:47:00 PM »
Filson and Woolrich rule in this house.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »
I have a couple of Johnson's Woolen Mills jackets and a couple pairs of Johnson's wool pants.

For winter still-hunting through the pines,I wear my "Hunter Green" jacket and pants and I just quietly "dissappear" into the pines.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
Steve -- too bad you had that experience...my Autumnwood is really the exact opposite...they did change the windblock liner and I know what you mean by noisy...if you see them at a show, you might want to take a second look at current production.

I agree that SI is top quality stuff...

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 05:00:00 PM »
Filson.

Offline Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
I have had a full set of King of the Mountain for several years and it has always performed great in cold weather conditions and the blowdown pattern is the best for late season hunting in Montana.  A word of caution about buying KOM, do not believe their warranty!!!!  They have changed it from the time I bought my first pieces in the mid 90’s, when it was a life time warranty, and now they will only warranty it for the life of the garment, whatever that means.  When you pay the price they are asking, it is reasonable to expect them to honor the warranty.  This last year I had items with problems and was told that none of them would be covered, but they would be happy to fix them at an undetermined cost plus shipping.  The problems I had were: First, a Mountain High Plains Vest bought in 2004, which had the stitching on one of the pockets come unraveled.  Second, stitching on a pair of suspenders came undone, the suspenders fell apart.  Third, a one inch hole in the collar of my trapper pullover appeared (the seamstress who repaired it said it was caused by a flaw in the weaving).  The cost of having the items fixed was minimal (I had all the items fixed by the seamstress for twenty dollars) but KOM’s attitude at the corporate level stinks.  However, I have always had good dealings with the KOM distributors.

I had some Hidden Wolf, now Gray Wolf, which was better quality then KOM but I prefer the KOM blowdown pattern over the Gray Wolf Predator pattern.  The customer service at Gray Wolf is excellent, but I haven’t had to send anything back either (can you say QUALITY).  Also, Gray Wolf is now available with wind blocker linings which make a big difference when on a treestand in December.

Regardless of which brand you decide on, buy a quality garment. Over the years I wasted a lot of money on “good enough wool” that didn’t work when the temperatures got down to -10 and below and had to be replaced.

Walt Francis
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Stu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 05:20:00 PM »
Gotta Filson camo Mackinac Cruiser, was a retirement gift. I love it to death, it's my rifle hunting coat...but kinda bulky for bowhunting. Will probably order a Gray Wolf jacket based on the info I've seen here.

For Pants I have Codet virgin wool, Cabela's Outfitter (just got 'em), Woolrich, and surplus stuff. Always "cheaped out" and never got the Filson pants, probably a mistake.

Wool quality doesn't always equate precisely to price, but good wool (heavy, virgin, tight weave) is the way to go.

Offline SilverTip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 05:21:00 PM »
Filson outfitters jacket, it can also be used as a liner for their heavy coats. I would be lost without mine. It wont empty your pockets either. I bought mine for around 185.00

Billy
If Jesus Christ guides your arrow, its really hard to miss.  Billy

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 06:19:00 PM »
Bought the Filson Wool Hunting Coat. Don't have a lot of miles on it yet. But really like it so far. Very warm with mininum underneath it.  And for me it fits like a glove.  Absolulety no shooting restrictions with it on.  Cut in such a fashion the sleeve don't pull up the arms when drawing.  And the handwarmer pockets are easily accessed.  

Jeff
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline 6 POINT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 06:36:00 PM »
I grew up wearing woolrich and just never looked for anything else. They have an online store with a bargain basement that sells some items for up to 60% off.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©