3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who makes your favorite Wool Jackets?  (Read 4332 times)

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who makes your favorite Wool Jackets?
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2007, 07:08:00 PM »
I like woolrich but i just bought a wool shirt from grey wolf it was the last one on clearance. I haven't had a chance to try it but it looks very well made . I am saving up right now for one of their jackets. The more it snows the more OT i will get. I still wear a pair of woolrich pants my dad bought in the fifties the coats to small now but my wife still wears that.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Deer Slayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
Who sells Autumnwoods woolens?

Online huckbuck

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2007, 08:50:00 PM »
I've used Beagle Wear the last two seasons in Kansas and on a hunt in Quebec. I've been very impressed on the quality and ability to keep me dry in rain. It has a dupont coating that really sheds water and a tight weave that blocks the wind.

Offline Deer Slayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2007, 09:47:00 PM »
Been looking at the Sleeping Indian Hunter Jacket. Does anyone know if the hood detaches from the jacket?? Anyone used this particular jacket while bowhunting and how did it perform during the shot?? ie., was there any part of the jacket that got it the way when you took a shot? Would you recommend this model or the Outfitter Jacket?? I personally don't care all that much for jackets that have a fixed hood, I prefer a detachable hood. Cabela's has the SI hunter on sale for $399.

Offline Deer Slayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2007, 03:45:00 AM »
TTT. Anyone??

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2007, 05:02:00 AM »
Grey wolf's jacket can be purchased with a detachable hood.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2007, 08:07:00 AM »
Johnson Woolens up here.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Straightedgesammy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2007, 08:30:00 AM »
I use alot of filson products but really love my Camo double mackinaw.  I dont find it too bulky for shooting with.  And I have slept overnight a few times in very cold conditions with it.  It is a lifesaver.  It has great pockets too.  Am able to carry everything I need without a pack if I want to.  The wool underwear is great too.  My brother was lost in the Cascades for two days in the rain and credits it with saving his life.

Offline Mark Trego

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2007, 08:39:00 AM »
I always worried about tearing up high dollar wool on all the barbwire here in the midwest. So I went high dollar on my long underwear and bought Filsons. The outer layer is Columbia wool, if I tear it I won't feel near as bad.
" It's Five O'Clock Somewhere"

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2007, 10:01:00 AM »
It sounds like Filson is the preferred brand so far.  Today I finally get to give the Weatherby Wool a tough Pennsylvania test run.  It is in the 20's today with winds blowing 45 mph.  I am going to try for a three hour ladder stand sit tonight.  Here is the warmest stuff I could find in my closet:  Top:  poly pro underwear, then ECWCS top, Woolrich wool shirt, Weatherby Wool Vest, Weatherby Parka.  Bottom:  insulated hunting pants and a pair of Remington Fleece underwear from Wal-Mart.  Plenty of hand and foot warmers to boot.  It isn't usually the cold that gets to me but it is the wind.  If you don't see me post here again I will be frozen to a tree   :eek:  Maybe a few gallons of   :campfire:  tonight when I come in from the darkness.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2007, 12:01:00 PM »
Hey Mike, was out in my cabela's wool sip up with wind shear. Man that is some great stuff. Hope you enjoy that wind today. Brrrr.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Hunter John

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »
Ok I will throw a differn't name at you.Eddie Bauer,I have had my coat for over 10 years now and it is just starting to wear out.It is lined with thinsulate and keeps me comfy in all kinds of conditions.
Early spring fishing

November hunting

to winter bird watching

As you can see its not camo but in my experience it doesn't matter,and for 200 bucks I got my monies worth,and yes I would buy another.

John
I am a man
and I can change
if I have to
I guess.

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2007, 01:49:00 PM »
This past season Jake and I used Columbia Gallatin range jackets, very nice, pockets in the right place and very warm. The hood is a great feature.Not the most expensive wool, but I would get another in the future. Great camo pattern too.
I also have a buffalo check jac/shirt from woolrich, love it! and it is 3 years old now; looks like new still.
BD

Offline Deer Slayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2007, 02:57:00 PM »
Big Dog, was thinkin bout one of those as well...the price is definately right! I'm still considering all my options though and doin some research.

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »
I was warm   :saywhat:
The Lord is my Shepherd

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »
Mike:  Glad it works for you.  Would hate to have given a bum steer.  Looks like just about every brand has its proponents.  And, just about every brand seems to have a problem now and then.  I've been wearing KOM for about 15 years, Autumnwood for half that long, and just started adding some Weatherby stuff.  Have been wearing Woolrich wool shirts forever.  Never had a problem with any of it.

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2007, 01:35:00 PM »
KOM for me. I bought Columbia, and Woolrich first( the old wool camo in advantage). I would have saved alot of money if I bougth the KOM first. I have bought a set of the GreyWolf Wolfskin and a pair of their wool bibs this past year. I like their wool for a little warmer conditions but the KOM is warmer to me. GreyWolf has great service. I bought my KOM from Bernie Parson and he was great to deal with and  I always receive my stuff fast.

Offline KyGal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »
My favorite wool shirts "happen" when my husband or some other big fella says "Barb can you use this wool shirt that got washed in hot and then dried?". Usually its Woolrich or Pendleton. The resulting fabric is dense, practically windproof and very warm and durable. This kind of thing may have inspired those high end manufacturer's fancy duds!

Now if I could find some roller derby queen to hand me down some PANTS!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2007, 04:15:00 PM »
bjk has it pretty much right, but I would argue that the older Filson stuff will outlast any out there. I have had a double mackinaw cruiser for 30 years and wore it a ton, it is still like new. Shawn
Shawn

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
I've had it all but prefer KOM.  That is until today, Ron is sending one of his Longhunter wool shirts  :)   Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©