3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hanging up the selfbow  (Read 550 times)

Offline hickry

• Trad Bowhunter
Hanging up the selfbow
« on: June 26, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
Man, I just don't know how to feel about this.  I got into traditional bowhunting about six years ago.  Bought a recurve and, after a huge learning curve the first year, ended up having a tremendous bowseason.  We had a lot of deer on our place that year, and loaded the freezer.  The next year, I wanted to try building and hunting with a selfbow.  Bow wood, arrows, and fletchings to all come off of the property where I hunt. Have been hunting that way ever since.  Have been fortunate to get a deer or two every year except the first... but that really has been secondary.  Mainly have just enjoyed being out there with homemade stuff... something just different about it.  
Life has become hectic, though, and time to build and shoot homemade stuff has just gotten too hard to come by.  It seems like I'm CONSTANTLY tinkering with my bow or, especially, arrows... and the time just isn't there anymore. I like the tinkering... and it's just become a part of bowhunting.  But it takes time.  Time that I don't have.  
SO... I just decided to hang it up for awhile.  Bought what I believe will be a nice glass-backed longbow from a fellow tradganger... and ordered some carbon shafts to replace my rivercane.  No longer have to tune each shaft... just once with my setup and they'll all be the same after that.  Won't have to deal with changes in the bow over time... and if it will affect my arrow flight. If I bust a nock, I can just buy a new one.  Don't have to worry about the constant concern of keeping the moisture out of the bow in our humid east Texas environment.  Lots less to worry about... from a materials consistency standpoint.
Which brings me back to the beginning.  I'm ABSOLUTELY NOT a wood bow, or even traditional bow, snob.  It's just that I'm having a hard time knowing how I'll feel about getting away from the homemade stuff come this bow season.  Any other tradgangers been through this?  Any regrets?

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hanging up the selfbow
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
I've thought about it when my darts weren't flying straight, and think maybe it would be easier with wheels, less practice shooting, less fussing over arrows.  Then I remind myself how much junk I used to have to carry when I did have one. Nah, you're just taking a break from the daily maintenance  chores.  Think of it as a sabbatical.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 05:03:00 PM »
If it's a form of trad, it's all good. Some years I like to just hunt with primitive equipment, and other years I'm just into laminated longbows of one kind or another. Whatever floats your boat. Enjoy the change of pace.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
I'm having a few problems with my pulling hand with tendinitis .had a older but new Bowhunter ask me if I consider going to a compound if it didn't improve.
Told him I planned to work through it and would never shoot a compound again. I'll carry a longbow even if painfull to draw.

In your case big difference to recognize what is needed now and still have room to,step back into a less challenging set up.
You'll still need to keep your level of shooting skill.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline TraditionalGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 06:09:00 PM »
Don't do it!!!! Naw, I'm just kidding. We are each in this sport/art for our own reasons, and it is those reasons that matter to each of us, not what anyone else thinks. If you don't have time, you don't have time. If you are able to get more enjoyment out of lams at the moment then that is what's important. I think sometimes we all forget that having fun is primary to all the other nuances we partake in.
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.”
H. L. Mencken

Online NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 06:15:00 PM »
Great post and you're not alone.  I've been wanting to switch to wood arrows real bad, but work, four young kids with their sports, etc. and my time is extremely limited.  Gonna probably stick with carbon at least until next winter.  No shame in what you're doing.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 06:58:00 PM »
I don't find it that way. I mean, all the tinkering you mentioned because it's a selfbow and wood arrows. My wooden bows and arrows are very consistant, durable, and trouble free. Grab and go... Once they're done, there's zero maintenance or tuning for years.

That said, even though I work 48-72 hours every week, and have a family and other committments,  I make bows fairly regularly. Can't help it.... I love it . I work on them because I like making new bows though, not because they're high maintenance.

So many bows, so little time. There will be plenty of time to rest when I'm dead )

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 06:59:00 PM »
hickry if you feel thats what works the best for you then do it but IMO you might be making a ant mound into a mole hill. Most trad kills are 15 yards or less but again if you feel more confident with your new set up shoot it. Good luck on your journey.

Offline Harleysboss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
Maybe you dont have to quit using your self bow. If arrows are the time issue stick with more "modern wood arrows" until your time comes back. Glue on nocks,feathers and points. Pretty stable once their built. Best of both worlds. No biggy, still enjoying the sport what ever you choose.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 07:51:00 PM »
this will be my first trad season. and i really want to hunt with my osage bow, but its not nearly as forgiving as my glass centercut bows, and i have some form imperfections im working on. if i can't get to satisfactory shooting with the self bow by august, im going to devote my practice to a bow that lets me get away with more. once there is meat in the freezer i may give it a go.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
I'm kinda the opposite..I would like to build a selfbow and hunt with it..but know I would most likely not want to hunt with my recurves if I did and don't want to give them up yet.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
Don't take this wrong, I make and shoot glass bows all the time, but this sounds like an excuse to me.  Your consistency issue mostly involves the cane arrows and is easily solved using the same selfbow with Quality, Matched, wood (not cane) arrows.  The selfbow, or any bow, will shoot matched arrows consistently the same.  Once your shooting form is ingrained it doesn't take any longer to maintain it when shooting a selfbow than it does shooting a glass bow.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »
I started with the recurve ,then longbow,built several self and bamboo and hickory backed Osage bows. Now I am shooting and making my own glass bows, recurves, hill style longbows, hybrid longbows. I see no more challenge in one bow type or the other, I may never hunt with a self bow or wood arrows again. I do know that I will never hunt with a compound ever again, haven't done that since 1988. If I have to in my golden years I would shoot 35 lbs. and still keep using a trad. bow.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
"Us vs Them"

Offline Stephengiles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
Hey man we all get that way sometimes.I'm not as deep into it as you are yet but sometimes all I want to do is shoot.you have a good bow so enjoy it and the other stuff will still be laying right where you left it when your ready.if it's not your job don't turn it into one.

Offline hickry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  All great comments.  Let me say this... to prevent confusion and discouragement with others who may be wanting to try the self-bow and/or cane arrow route.  It's taken several years to really get form down, but I feel just as confident with my self bow and matched cane arrows... as I will with a glass bow with carbon arrows.  Honestly, I don't see the self bow as being much more of a challenge any more... just takes more time... and a little more knowledge of how natural materials behave.  As Walt Francis said, they're not any harder to shoot once you know what to look for.  It's been a total blast... and I plan to get back into it one day.  But, for now, I think I'm going to listen to you guys and enjoy SHOOTING for awhile!!!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 10:46:00 PM »
Just have fun and shoot all kinds of bows.  I love a nice selfbow as much as a nice glass bow.  No reason to box yourself in.  Enjoy it all.  Except wheels  :p
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
Shoot what you like, hickry.  This is a pastime, not a career.

I had to give up selfbows a number of years ago due to some elbow problems.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jeff Strubberg:
Shoot what you like, hickry.  This is a pastime, not a career.

I had to give up selfbows a number of years ago due to some elbow problems.
We have a BINGO!!!!!  Well said.  :pray:
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »
Your handle names the problem. Hickory is fine easy carving wood for learning tillering and OK as bow wood in a pinch...but it is a sponge...

"the constant concern of keeping the moisture out of the bow in our humid east Texas environment"

Get some well seasoned osage and make yourself a humidity proof bow. If you don't want to take the hours to mess with rivercane arrows, don't. Shoot tonkin shafts, wood shafts or carbon.

If you like hunting with a glass longbow, do it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©