3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wishing I could sell my "wheels"  (Read 1147 times)

Offline shirikahn

• Trad Bowhunter
Wishing I could sell my "wheels"
« on: June 27, 2013, 12:51:00 PM »
I am sure a great many of you have seen me peruse around on Trad Gang for years.  I wish I could have kept even one of my "sticks" from my teen years...but I just couldn't when situations happened. My wife doesn't understand that I'm not happy with my compound, and doesn't want me to part with it...she doesn't believe that I can be just as accurate at hunting ranges...or that I'd love my sport even more by going back to my roots.  There just isn't the enjoyment in the compexity of compound archery...so much is removed.  Do any of you have any thoughts on this?  Sorry for sounding like I need therapy lol

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wishing I could sell my "wheels"
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
I waffled back and forth for two years in the beginning. But once I sold it I felt like a weight was lifted from me. No more wondering what bow to take and I felt like I was all in at that point which was a relief.

The way I finally looked at it was "Hey if I do want to go back to the compound in a few years this one is going to be obsolete and I'll want a new one anyway". There is another benefit to going all trad. No more of the keeping up with all the latest and greatest dance.

I will warn you though. The year after I went "all in" I had a 140" 10 point buck eating acorns out in front of me at 30 some yards for around 15 minutes and all I could do it watch. The deer walked off and I felt absolutely no regret. Standing there the whole time at the ready with my stickbow just praying he would walk my way was a rush I can't describe.

We hunt because we enjoy it. How you get that enjoyment is for you to decide.

Good luck in your decision.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 01:08:00 PM »
Loren, you do need therapy. I know I do. Thats a lot of what trad archery is about weather most realize it or not. As a tool&die maker I need a break from my industrial, computerized numerical controlled, mechanical world. I am 52 years old and still play in the woods pretending I'm someone I'm not, building forts (I tell my wife they are deer blinds) and just enjoying the days.

Offline shirikahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »
lol!  Thanks Killshot for the reality check.  I'm probably in definite need of something.  I had my hips replaced a few years back (I'm only 33).  I can't do the work I loved anymore, so now I sit at a desk.  I miss the comraderie of fellow archers, and sitting quiet as the fog clears early mornings.  My used wheelie was cheap, but I've seen a couple nice recurves here that were right around the $ I've spent trying to get something I don't really want at least "useable".  

KentuckyTJ...I understand what you mean too!  I shot both modern and traditional when I was in my teens...but when it came to a season I'd grab my K-mag and my back quiver full of Zwickeys...It's what I enjoyed then and I know I'd like it still.  Perhaps I should just **** the dang whiz-bang lol

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
I understand what you are feeling. I sold my compound 2-3 weeks ago. I even shot it one last time before shipping it. It just confirmed for me that I made the right decision. I had no enjoyment in shooting the compound anymore. Once gone, it did feel like a weight removed from my shoulders. My therapy is in my longbows and the simplicity that goes with it. You have to do what feels right and if it feels right just do it. I do not think you will regret it. Good luck on your decision and keep us posted.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
I think that its interesting that your wife is concerned if you will enjoy it or be accurate enough  :saywhat:  

Im the meat provider for my family so I kind of understand that she would be concerned if I didn't bring home the bacon!!!

You need to pick up a cheapy bow and show her that you WILL have more fun and you CAN be just as accurate with it just to ease her mind, then you can get rid of your wheely bow  :thumbsup:  
There even maybe even someone here on TG that is in your area that will loan you one to try out!?!?

My Wife was kind of skeptical when I reviled my plan to go traditional.................
Im glad that she loves me enough to care  :goldtooth:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline shirikahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 01:31:00 PM »
Now that's a good plan 23feet lol.  I like it!

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 01:41:00 PM »
you don't have to sell it. mine's in the closet and I haven't shot it at least 10-12 years!   :D
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline shirikahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 01:43:00 PM »
Johnny it's kinda a "one or the other" situation with the missus lol.  Trouble is I bought it second hand, and it's a couple years old...so it's not gonna "fly" off an internet ad...

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
The Dr. is in.....

I started hunting with an old 50# Bear Alaskan, Back in 1976. Killed a doe in '76 and another in '77 Both years, I was done hunting by the time the 1st weekend had ended. Then, I started to get more picky, Holding out for a buck. Bought a compound in 1981, Had a few of them... Sold my last one about 1984, when I "gave up" bowhunting!!! (The compound bows, just didn't "do it" for me) Bought a used Kodiak Magnum and a dozen wood arrows in 1996. It was like 1976 all over again!!!!!

The Dr.s prescription is.....

Give up bowhunting!!!!! It is bad for you, and is driveing you insane!!! Sell your compound and take up fishing..... After about a month, when your soul is cleansed and your mind is clear, you will be able to see that the traditional path, is the right one for you!!!!!

(Take the money that you squirreled away from selling your compound, and go buy a stickbow!!! You'll still have a couple months before hunting season!!!!!)

I will Dance for you, and send smoke to the Great Spirit, asking him to open your eyes and cleanse your spirit. Only then, can the transformation be complete.....

Good Luck on your Quest, My Brother!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline shirikahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 01:51:00 PM »
Thanks woodchucker! lol I'd love to meet you some day  :)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 01:53:00 PM »
Someday we will, Brother!!! If only at the campfire in the sky.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
My wife is the same way. I shoot traditional because I love it and get much more enjoyment from it. It takes work and practice to be good at it. Just sell it already and buy a stickbow! You'll be much happier when you do.  :D
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »
Loren...where are u in washington?

Offline shirikahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »
I'm in Spokane, Wa.

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 05:20:00 PM »
I shot wheelie bows for years, hunting as well as 3D tournaments all over the north/east of the States. I shot Bowhunter freestyle which is shooting 3 fixed pin sights and fingers, (never owned or had the feeling for a release),. As bows evolved they became shorter axle to axle which is no good for a finger shooter like me. So with that I decided to return to my roots again and not ride the wave of the modern wheelie contraptions and shoot Trad!!! I haven't owned or cared to own a wheelie contraption in a very, very long time. The only regret I have is not returning to trad sooner.    :archer2:

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
The rewards are sweeter when you do connect. The feeling of accomplishment cannot be matched with a compound .. IMO
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
My advise is to sell the wheelie now and start watching the classifieds.  Something will show up before hunting season.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 06:12:00 PM »
Yes you can legally divorce your wife and let her have your old compound in the proceedings.    :bigsmyl:   . I would respect her opinon but unless she has walked in your shoes then she has no ideal were you stand.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 06:12:00 PM »
I had a couple of compound bows but was never taught the right way to shoot and tune a bow... Having to know exact yardage to the target and practice after work was un-interesting and felt like another job... That was over 15 years ago...

Always loved to look at pictures of Fred Bear and told my self, "That's for me!" Then... I read a magazine article about trad bow hunting stating something like:

"If you can hit a small pie plate at five yards with a recurve and broadhead arrow, go hunting! Live with a shot range of only five yards, but go hunting! Understand your limitations, hunt like an Indian!" Your effective range will get longer with time and practice.

That did it for me... Sold my compounds over ten years ago and didn't look back! Don't Wait Too Long... Enjoy this stuff now!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©