3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wishing I could sell my "wheels"  (Read 1146 times)

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wishing I could sell my "wheels"
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 06:17:00 PM »
I have a couple of very nice compounds and every time I go to tune and sight in one of them I get frustrated by the complexity of the whole thing...I saw just such a thing happen the other day at an archery shop...a limb cracked on a fellows bow as he was working on getting it ready for hunting season...he was more upset about having lost all the tuning and sighting than he was about cracking the limb...takes me a few seconds to sight in a stickbow

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Mike Falkner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2013, 06:19:00 PM »
I went back to trad only last year after using a wheelie to help get over a shoulder injury.  Sold the wheelbow, although I liked the bow, and it made me not "cheat".  It wasn't the newest and greatest but it brought enough to buy a nice used bow and some arra's.  Got my first trad deer this year and won't be going back.  Let mama read this thread...
Mike

Psalms 44:6

Offline agtex42

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »
I think it's great that your wife even has an opinion about how much enjoyment you get out of archery. I was in your shoes two years ago and here's how it played out for me. I had been bow hunting with a compound exclusively for three seasons and actively pursuing 3D shoots in the offseason to stay in practice. For me archery was my release from the stress of my day job and I was having FUN, I'd shoot at least 2-3 times per week and I was constantly tinkering with my setup for maximum accuracy/efficiency.

My transition to traditional archery was not something that I pursued out of boredom, it was more of a way to expand my horizons in a sport I already loved.  When I told my wife I wanted a recurve she was skeptical at first because she knew how much I loved archery and she kind of saw it as a step backward from where I was at the time.  In the end she actually bought me my first bow as a Christmas present and the hook was set.

I spent the next 7 months overseas, but the bow came with me and after a couple of months I was grouping arrows on a pie plate out to 15 yards. My return to the states coincided with the opening of deer season and I decided to go at it with my trad bow. I didn't kill a deer that year but I had plenty of close encounters and the entire process made me a better hunter.

If anything switching to a trad bow has only deepened my love for archery and btw, two weeks into that season the wheels were sold and a custom stickbow was on order (with a few more to follow in the months to come).

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
As for accuracy...if you can't shoot more than 5 yards, just set up for 5 yard shots.

Selling the bow may not get you much, but there are 150 dollar bows out there that would be great to learn on. Also, you can always look through yard sales/flea markets/etc. for a screaming deal on a bow(just do a bit of research on here first, so you know what is worth grabbing).
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2013, 07:47:00 PM »
Sell the wheels and don't look back, do what makes you happy.

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »
I enjoy shooting now. With the compound I just put it away for summer and got it back out right before hunting season. The whole aspect is clear to me now, making my own arrows and feeling the satisfaction of a well placed arrow by just looking at the target and feeling the shot.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
Sell the wheels, I did a few months back and doubt I'll ever go back.

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
Get rid of the Crutch, I did and my shooting went from alright to down right lethal, something about knowing I have to put forth a major effort to be fair to the animals we chase really stirs something inside of me, it for me is a primal feeling, I eat sleep and breathe shooting my bow, traditional archery isn't just another method of archery, it truly is a lifestyle, once you put down the gadgets and gizmos for good and get back to the basic simple things, you expirience a feeling like no other, best of luck to you!
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by shirikahn:
Now that's a good plan 23feet lol.  I like it!
Have your wife read this thread from last fall, she'll see where 23feet is coming from:
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=123014;p=1

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
As long as that compound is in your house you'll be plagued by it.  Like a monkey on your back.  rid yourself of the beast.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
Dude, if you have to let your wife decide what is going to make you happy, you have already drank the Cool-Aide.  It's your hunting stuff, not hers.  If you want to sell it, just do it.  Used compounds are a dime a dozen,  So better yet, put it out to the trash, somebody will take it.  This way you now have to get a new stickbow.

Disclaimer---Taking my advice has been know to cause household problem, both inside my home and others as well. But at least when it come to hunting...I'm happy.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2013, 10:55:00 PM »
Hey dude. This may not be the most popular opinion but, if you need to hang on to that compound a couple of more years and save a little for a new k-mag. In the mean time take the sights and other doodad off you compound so you can shoot it barebow with fingers.  Bet you'll have more fun till you can buy what you really want. Hell man get creative and build a shelf for it.

Offline Big Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2013, 11:05:00 PM »
Donate the compound to someone in need.  That's how I made the jump.  When I found myself free of the gadgets, I found out what shooting a bow was like.

Offline Richie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2013, 12:32:00 AM »
If you want to go trad then go trad. Doesnt matter what anyone else thinks . Just my two cents , even if it is your wife.
Once a Marine always a Marine, Semper Fi

Online Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2013, 06:40:00 AM »
I would ignore the wife's opinion (on this subject) and do what made me happy

As far as switching, here's how it went for me:

I only shot a compound for about a 2 seasons. When I got out of the Army in the mid 80's, my Super Kodiak didn't seem like enough bow anymore. I bought a brand spanking new compound and got after it. I killed a bunch of deer with it, but I always knew something was missing. I clearly remember the day I permanently switched  (too long of a story for here). The point is...ON THAT DAY I GAVE MY COMPOUND AWAY. It was sorta symbolic, but once I did, I never looked back.

Get the damned thing out of your house, and commit to shooting traditional. Flopping back and forth between compound and trad is bad business.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2013, 07:18:00 AM »
yup just give it away. and say honey i lost my wheels so i am going to have to get a stick  I'm sure she will understand     :pray:   good luck
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2013, 07:43:00 AM »
I put mine in shop for $50 back in 1991 and never looked back....money well lost!  :)
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2013, 09:33:00 AM »
You sound like YOU want to go Trad.
You won't have any trouble getting accurate enough to be successful hunting, because YOU want to make it work.
Getting in range while hunting will be another matter though....
You'll have to be a better hunter.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »
I have found that when my wife suggests I do something, she is typically correct. If you don't need the cash, put it in a closet or on a shelf, you won't get much for it anyway.

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
For me going from a compound to a longbow was like the time I went from a rifle to a compound.

At first it seems like it will be impossible to kill anything with that stick and no mechanical sighting. But with time and patience it will come.  Biggest problem I had was i WANTED succes with that longbow and that put stress on me big time and I missed a good handfull and wounded/lost a couple.

I almost gave up the longbow and went back to compound. But the first time i drew the compound after having shot the longbow for almost 2 years
the compound didn't have any "feel" to it, other than it was heavy and loud, so I put the compound away for good and worked on clearing my mind and telling myself to just take the bow and go sit in the woods. Two days later I made a great shot on my first longbow killed deer.

I never looked back and will never shoot another compound again.

Just go for it and get a longbow or recurve that fits your hand!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©