3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wishing I could sell my "wheels"  (Read 1145 times)

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wishing I could sell my "wheels"
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
I would gently reason with my bride that the compound is of little value when not being used, and that value falling fast as it ages (note the dime-a-dozen reference above).  As Shakespeare said, "Sell while you can; you are not for all markets." In terms of reaching out and getting more meat, I've never known a bowhunter - trad or wheeler - who could not have bought meat for a fraction of the cost of harvesting it in the field!
Jim

Offline shirikahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
You guys have all been great and I respect and appreciate your words...I think Jakeemt hit the nail on the head...I should just deal with what I've got, and start stacking pennies...maybe by next spring I can afford another K-mag...and go back to what I loved so much

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2013, 10:41:00 AM »
I think if my wife were to come between me and my archery, or believed she should have any say on my hunting practices.... I wouldn't be married any longer.... period...

Why does it got to be one or the other?  Keep the compound and shoot your stick bow too.   :dunno:

I wonder if you can put a spouse on Craig's list? Hmmmmmm.....

Offline shirikahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »
Kirk we're just on a very tight budget...I know her concerns...and in a way she's right.  Why do I need 2 bows?  I got the comp for a steal.  Fully dressed, etc.  Blah blah blah.  But I am going to go back to trad eventually.  I feel like I have to, if that's understandable.  It's like there is a void in my sport.  I appreciate all of the advice on here.  And believe me Kurt...if I didn't love this woman the way I do I wouldn't be taking the time to reach out for other opinions.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2013, 10:59:00 AM »
Explain to her that compounds are money pits and loose their value quickly.  On the other hand a well cared for used recurve or longbow will hold it's value much better over time.  

It's a hypothetical situation but consider what your compound will be worth in ten years compared to what a recurve that you bought with the funds raised by selling said compound right now would be worth...the compound will have little if any value, the recurve would probably not loose any value at all.  Sell the compound...stop the depreciation.

Mechanical bows are great, I have one, mainly because at this point it's not worth selling it since I won't get much for it.  It still shoots well so it's not that big a deal, but it's far from my only bow.  I'm a stickbow guy at heart and am fortunate to have several nice custom recurves.  Most were bought used and I'm confident I could sell them for the same amount I paid for them.

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »
I bought a longbow and practiced until I was confident.  Then I traded my compound for some nice custom hunting knives to match my longbow riser.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2013, 01:07:00 PM »
There's alot of generous people here on Tradgang so hopefully you can find someone close that can let you try a bow and just maybe someone has one laying around they might let ya use or practice with for  a short time till you can set aside some cash for your own.

Online Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »
1. Tell her to go make you a sandwich

2. while she's in the kitchen, get on-line and order a new recurve or longbow.

3. All (most) wives can be fooled into thinking recurves and longbows are just chunks of wood, and cost about $100
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »
LOL,,,   :laughing:  @ Roger!!!

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Easykeeper:
Explain to her that compounds are money pits and loose their value quickly.  On the other hand a well cared for used recurve or longbow will hold it's value much better over time.  

It's a hypothetical situation but consider what your compound will be worth in ten years compared to what a recurve that you bought with the funds raised by selling said compound right now would be worth...the compound will have little if any value, the recurve would probably not loose any value at all.  Sell the compound...stop the depreciation.

Mechanical bows are great, I have one, mainly because at this point it's not worth selling it since I won't get much for it.  It still shoots well so it's not that big a deal, but it's far from my only bow.  I'm a stickbow guy at heart and am fortunate to have several nice custom recurves.  Most were bought used and I'm confident I could sell them for the same amount I paid for them.
This is the exact argument I gave my wife when I sold my 2010 Athens Accomplice 34 (which I killed 19 deer with) and bought a new Black Widow. Argument worked for me...

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
If you were here in southeast I would give you a recurve to shoot until you saved enough to buy your own or buy that one from me....and still keep tabs on you.  Maybe someone else near you has one on the wall not getting any love you can borrow with understanding that if you mess it up...you buy it.

I have done that quite a few times actually and always worked out well for all involved.  An older Bear Grizzly, Browning Wasp or Explorer, Ben Pearson 716 or multitude of nice bows for less than $200 would do the job quite nicely...some can be found for less than $100 if you dont want one that is in collectible condition and a little worse for wear.

Good luck.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline shirikahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
I have just been blessed with an opportunity...a neighbor of mine (and man I've talked to numerous times about trad, as he has a "harem" lol) has offered me a used and slightly less pretty Centaur for $150!!! So I'm gonna be scrambling trying to come up with the cash!!! Thanks everyone for the advice/input.  I appreciate it

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2013, 12:18:00 PM »
When and if the way in which you take an animal becomes more important to you than just taking an animal you will have no more indecision.

Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Offline shirikahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2013, 12:25:00 PM »
thank Bob

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »
You don't have to sell your wheels. I have not shot mine in 20 years. Its a "vintage" Hoyt. Some warfer would probably love to get it and warf it into a recurve. But I keep it as a reminder of why I went back to my recurves which I wisely did not sell when I erronuosly decided to try out the compund so long ago.
OK, if your wife knows what you have you clearly don't have enough stuff in your man cave area. You have camoflauge the new stuff with a bunch of other stuff, sneak it in when shes not there and by the time shes on to you its too late you got everything you ever wanted. Then its time to trade stuff you can justify more new stuff. See? Its easy.
Member NCBA

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
I didn't hunt with a compound for that long but I got rid of mine a month or so before deer season. I was in college then. Got a recurve and didn't have a clue! But I killed a small buck on Halloween weekend and that was it. I've never even taken a shot with one since then. I picked up my buddies while shooting in has yard a couple weeks ago thinking I was going to take a shot with it but as soon as I got it in my hands I had no interest in flinging a single arrow. I mean it had a level on the thing! No thanks!

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
Sorry, do not have that problem. Have you looked in the classifieds to see if there something that will make you happy (bow, just bow). Then buy something nice for the lady of your life. Good luck
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline shirikahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »
Maybe I should just Warf my string gun...does anyone know of someone that does this? Or perhaps a bowyer that makes limbs that would fit in the pockets of a reflex/hoyt riser?

Offline Mike Falkner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2013, 10:33:00 AM »
It could be a fun project to warf the bow you have, but likely you'll spend more than a nice used bow.  My KMag is in near mint condition and I paid $150 on the classifieds here.

By the way, I like my toys and my hunting freedom, whatever limits I have on that are self imposed, BUT - I value my wife more than any of that stuff.  Just sayin...
Mike

Psalms 44:6

Offline shirikahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »
Me too mike...hence the issue lol.  I am kinda in a sticky situation. I would never do anything to upset her or put us finacially in a worse bind than what we are in anyway.  Grats on the Kmag...that's my old "love" right there...what poundage?  I'm sure you love it!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©