3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Vintage Bear Archery Find  (Read 172 times)

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
Vintage Bear Archery Find
« on: June 28, 2013, 02:45:00 PM »
My buddy just brought back his uncle's old Grizzly from Cleveland last week.  This morining was the the first time I had a chance to see it and how glad I was to take a look!

Folks, in my mind this is the next best thing to a Grumley Deerslayer I could have held in my hands.  What a piece of archery history.

How cool is this?!  THE classic static tip designed recurve that Mr. Bear produced in the Grayling, MI factory approximately 60 years ago.

For those uninitiated to vintage archery tackle this is a rare and treasured find, in my book.  I have filed in my computer photos of the old Bear Deerslayer and Grizzly static tip recurves for reference when I someday build a replica or two.  Now, I have one to borrow for pulling the exact dimensions right off of.  

The flair for the stylish was evident even back yonder with the tip overlays.

Pardon my enthusiasm but just look at those static tips.  What a gorgeous design feature those were/are.  I've build a couple statics close to that design for sinew backed one piece osage bows and can appreciate the skill and function put into them.

If you've read the Traditional Bowyers Bible series you will recognize this type of string groove running along the backside of the recurve.

I've refreshed my memory of what the late
Al Reader wrote in this link:   http://www.stickbow.com/stickbow/Collector/beararchery/   (If this is not appropriate please delete this link) to gain a better idea of this weapon's age.

He said:
"All Bear bows had leather grips from those first Grumley’s in the late 30’s until 1959. In 1959, the Kodiak Special dropped the leather grip, and in 1961 the Kodiak followed suit. The Grizzly kept the leather grip until 1964."

The article goes onto say:
"The small Running Bear decal on the left was used by Bear from 1948 until 1953, with the larger Standing Bear decal replacing it in mid-1953 and lasting until the 1955-56 model years. Beginning in 1955-56 Bear began using the silk-screened logo shown on the far right."
As you can see in this comparison photo of Bear decals and what is on my friend's bow, below, it is the second decal, the original standing bear design.

Continued on next post:

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Vintage Bear Archery Find
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »
The tag on the limb states this design was patented in 1953.

According to Bear Archery history this bow is definetly made in Grayling, Michigan, a number of years after Neils Grumley and Fred Bear parted ways.  Yet, the Grumley influence was still in effect in this period.  
Al Reader's research on the years this particular style of Grizzly bows were made was: "Grizzly Static Recurve 1949-1957"
With the decal shown above we know the earliest date would be 1953 (no aluminum lamination was glued into this bow, either) and the latest year it would have been built was 57.  
If anyone with much more knowledge than I can shed additional light on the year of manufacture of this fabulous find I would love to learn more, for my interest and to pass on to my friend whom it was gifted to.

Unfortunatetly, it had been stored in an unheated or cooled attice for many decades.  The desire to string it up and feel how it shoots may be strong I believe that prudence dictates this particular bow is best left as a wall decoration.
I hope you've enjoyed this unveiling of an archery discovery as much as I have.

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »
Deleted redundant post:  Flood protection fooled me  :D

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
That is cool!  Love the old bows, thanks for sharing.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »
Very cool!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Al33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
Very nice find indeed. Thanks for sharing it here.

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
Single shelf, red glass back and belly - 1953.

Happy 60th Birthday!

(1954 - 1957 had double shelves)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
Great Find. Neat stuff for sure!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
Wow! Very cool  :thumbsup:
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
Nice!!!
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline hnt2mch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 11:58:00 PM »
sweet!i got one!it used to belong to my granddad
don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns....

Offline hnt2mch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 12:01:00 AM »
on a side note.wish he was still around so i coulda got some of the history and maybe found out if he had the pleasure of meeting Mr.Bear he was in that area at the time.
don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns....

Offline irishhacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 02:18:00 PM »
If anyone wants one of these,, there is a guy at Traders World in Monroe, Ohio that has 2 of them for sale.. Good shape too. While I appreciate the history of the old grizzlys, I only buy the kodiak hunters.
60x Custom Strings Staff Shooter  http://www.60xcustomstrings.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©