3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thoughts on Baiting  (Read 1818 times)

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thoughts on Baiting
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
In my state of ky, its legal, except on public land. So, other than my own farm I hunt public land. Its a shame to me that so many hunters these days think there is no other way. I conducted a poll on one of our state hunting forums, 85% baited deer, including during modern gun season. Too me that is just sad. We are raising a whole new generation of hunters that know no other way. Like many old traditions, I suppose reading sign, and actually learning to pattern the travels of wild animals and hunt them on their terms, will most likely be another lost art.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline Stephengiles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
X2 Tall Paul when Dan Moultrie of Moultrie feeders is on our conservation advisory board.well I'm no genius but.....by the way I still can't figure why we have a c.a.b. When the supposedly take all info from the dcnr.

Online last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
I am not a big fan of baiting for all the reasons listed in Roger Norris's and Whip's comments earlier.  Besides, hunting time is to short to spend it guarding a bait pile.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: July 02, 2013, 02:18:00 AM »
My thoughts on baiting are different based on where you hunt. I hunted Monroe County, AL  where we had some really nice oak bottoms, a main creek running through it where you could hunt a deer slide, wet weather creeks galore sporting hundreds of natural food sources and cover... to now hunting across the line in northern Florida with nothing but sandy, flat piney woods.  

I would have never tried to bait the Monroe County land bc frankly deer were so easy to pattern as it was. Between the topography and the natural food sources, you could get deer within bow range fairly easily.  Now hunting the flat, fuel cut pine trees with no cover for hundreds of yards... to successfully get a deer within bow range, frankly I dont see another option.  You need to pull them to where you have cover at least so you can get a shot. There is no patterning a deer in planted pines that have been burned or fuel cut as they literally wonder around.  Walk and stalk is no option in the south at all without extremely ideal circumstances, like rainy, windy and a patch of ground with some perfect topography.

Also timber companies own basically everything and are in the business of growing trees not leaving nature as intended, so no hardwoods are left standing after an initial cut of the pines.  And I agree with the folks who say the deer are on high alert.  That is often an understatement, as if an acorn drops when deer are coming into a feeder area, they almost jump out of their skin.  It is kind of comical really, and getting drawn on a deer is a monumental feet at times. Deer were way dumber in Monroe County.  :)

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: July 02, 2013, 06:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:
30 years ago Cory Mattson and I went to south Texas on a javelin hunt. There were several guys in camp with us and all were using corn on the sendaros. Cory and I bowed up and were determined to do it "the right way" No baiting for us.

After the 3rd day, we hadn't seen a single javy while everyone else had multiple stalks and shot opportunities. WE bought some corn, trickled it thruout our area and where seeing hogs, deer and javies just a few hours later.

You can say we gave in if you want but I really don't care. Anyone who says they are fine spending 10 days hunting without seeing a critter is FOS. You may as well just go camping.

Don't cheat yourself. Have fun and don't be afraid to try something new or different. If this issue was cut and dry, we wouldn't have a thread about it 2 or 3 times a year
I'm not saying I wouldn't do the same thing....I have. But it IS an example of what baiting creates...natural movement stops, and bait is the only way to see game.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2013, 07:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:
Don't cheat yourself. Have fun and don't be afraid to try something new or different. If this issue was cut and dry, we wouldn't have a thread about it 2 or 3 times a year
So true buddy    :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: July 02, 2013, 07:54:00 AM »
I agree with Biggie, "when in Rome do as the Romans do" BUT I find that the deer tend to go nocturnal when I baited.  My trail cams told me so.

As long as it is legal, go out and have fun your way.  I will toss out a pound of sunflower seeds and corn mix just to see other critters while I wait for deer to come thru which by the way I have been choosing not to shoot.

For some reason I haven't tossed an arrow in the last two years by choice but this year I will be using a self bow, with a stone tipped arrow and my attitude may change!!!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »
It is not for me.

I have no idea how the hunting without bait will be impacted by nearby bait-aided hunting because as far as I know I've never been near it. I would imagine if the baiting is aggressive and more enticing than natural food supplies that game (and hunter) patterns would be changed.

I would concentrate on intercepting deer movement to and from security areas. But that's the way I hunt most of the time anyway.

I know many years ago (about 18) I was a guest in a tree stand that had a bare spot about 20 yards out. It had been a bait pile (I didn't know this until I was at the tree.)

I think a lot of our attitudes about this practice are a result of the regulations we grew up around. Baiting was illegal in 3 of the four states I lived and hunted in from 1970-1995.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: July 02, 2013, 08:19:00 AM »
Just to make sure nobody misconstrues my comments, I am not an anti baiting purist. I know exactly what Biggie it's saying, and I have hunted bait for bear and hogs and will no doubt do it again in a heartbeat.

I think it really boils down to a regional thing too. It doesn't fit well at all in my home state of Wisconsin in my opinion.  South Texas may be a different story. And bear, at least in much of their range, and hogs, are a different story than whitetails.  Just because it's inappropriate in one place doesn't mean it is all bad.  

I do still much prefer to hunt without bait whenever possible.  Even with hogs I would much rather spot and stalk if terrain and cover allow. And a spot and stalk black near hunt is high on my to do list.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: July 02, 2013, 11:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by Stephengiles:
 when Dan Moultrie of Moultrie feeders is on our conservation advisory board.well I'm no genius but.....
Yep, these are the people pushing to make baiting legal in Alabama: the manufacturers of corn feeders!  They've convinced people that this is another vital piece of equipment that they have to have!
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: July 02, 2013, 11:43:00 AM »
Im not for or against
I think there are pros and cons

But do what ever you want If its legal , who am I to judge?
Slickhead

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: July 02, 2013, 11:57:00 AM »
Baiting can be alot of extra work and often the results are not what was expected. I grew up learning how to identify what animals preferred to eat and when, how to distinguish between good sign and old sign, so to me that is the experience young hunters are missing if they give up and resort to bait right away. Have I ever hunted with bait? Yes. If you are travelling to a destination for hunting and bait is allowed and you have limited time to actually hunt, bait will even the odds that you will be successful. In my home state I rarely use it even though it is legal on private property.
Member NCBA

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2013, 01:01:00 PM »
If game and land were plentiful enough, I doubt any of  us would use bait.  But, that's not the world we live in.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: July 02, 2013, 01:06:00 PM »
I know corn works, for big bucks in the daytime also. But, just like acorns or anything other food source they will turn nocturnal just as soon as they know you might be there waiting on them.

Good part is you are in control of when and where you want the bait.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: July 02, 2013, 01:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hoyt:
I know corn works, for big bucks in the daytime also. But, just like acorns or anything other food source they will turn nocturnal just as soon as they know you might be there waiting on them.

Good part is you are in control of when and where you want the bait.
I live in Maryland where baiting is legal for deer. I hunt very urban areas most of the time and  I hunt over bait occasionally when it can be done effectively.  i do not use feeders and do not hunt directly over the corn or feed.  You can really screw up an area and push most feeding during night hours if you are not careful.  Hunting with bait can be a lot of fun when trying to tag a mature buck.  They are very wary for the most part and love to circle the area before they come in.  It's all a challenge and has its place where legal.
T ZZZZ

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: July 02, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »
Double post
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: July 02, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by UrbanDeerSlayer:
We are not allowed to bait in PA. As a mostly urban hunter, hunting in small patches of woods among housing developments, baiting would make my hunting more productive.  The deer tend to stay on ridges close to houses where I can not legally hunt them (must be 50 yds from occupied dwellings).  As the deer population is quite high and often destructive to personal property, not to mention the dozens that get hit with vehicles in my vicinity alone, it would make sense to bait them into the areas where they can be hunted in order to thin the herd. Everybody complains about the deer but they are difficult to hunt among housing and commercial developments, baiting would be more efficient.
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: July 02, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
All I know is if they ever start a Biggie season I will buy a jar of mayo and a biggie sweet tea from wendys and Biggie will be history.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: July 02, 2013, 06:00:00 PM »
As far as I'm concerned baiting for deer is canned hunting and isn't really hunting is it?   It's slaughtering an animal that's coming in for a free meal, if anyone wants to do it go for it but I never will.  Now if its hogs I might be convinced otherwise and I'm not against baiting for bears.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: July 02, 2013, 07:09:00 PM »
I don`t understand why you are not against baiting bears but deer over bait is a "canned" hunt.Please clue me in.RC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©