3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thoughts on Baiting  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thoughts on Baiting
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by jonsimoneau:
I used to be against it 100%  Then I started hunting other areas and in different cultures.  Get this.  The very first time I hunted in Africa I told the P.H. that I did not want to hunt anywhere near bait.  For some reason, the waterhole did not bother me, but bait was out.  The P.H. was offended! Later on during that trip I was talking about calling whitetails with grunt calls, rattling antlers, etc., around the campfire and 3 P.H.s got this look on their face and everything went kinda quiet.  I eventually pulled one aside and asked what I said that offended everyone and he told me that they consider calling animals to be unethical! Baiting was cool, but not calling!  Different strokes for different folks I guess.  Anyway, these days I'm not against baiting at all, although I'm glad it is not legal in Illinois.  And I gotta admit, even though I have never hunted bears, the whole baiting process for bears sounds very exciting to me.
Thats pretty darned interesting. Never heard that.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
TGBow....

EXACTLY!  I have overheard hunters say "I would never hunt over bait" then go out and sit on a pinch point over a cornfield or food plot.  Then on top of that say "well it's not like we know when the feeder goes off"....Really?  How about the first few hours of daylight and the last few before sunset.  I've hunted all over the country and world and trying to kill a deer near a feeder with Trad equipment is about as tough as it gets.  He/she is wired to the max and any mistake you make will send them running.  Point being, hunt ethically, hunt often and support your brothers of the bow that do the same.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
"Point being, hunt ethically, hunt often and support your brothers of the bow that do the same."

I sure can't argue with that, but discussing some of the things that challenge our ethical values is what makes us better than the slobs. "The Big Tent Theory" of excusing one anothers behavior because we are all "bowhunters" is a dangerous, slippery slope.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by jonsimoneau:
[QB] I used to be against it 100%  Then I started hunting other areas and in different cultures.  Get this.  The very first time I hunted in Africa I told the P.H. that I did not want to hunt anywhere near bait.  For some reason, the waterhole did not bother me, but bait was out.  The P.H. was offended! Later on during that trip I was talking about calling whitetails with grunt calls, rattling antlers, etc., around the campfire and 3 P.H.s got this look on their face and everything went kinda quiet.  I eventually pulled one aside and asked what I said that offended everyone and he told me that they consider calling animals to be unethical! Baiting was cool, but not calling!  

I find this to be very interesting.  If one thinks about it there are certain necessities for almost all living things: food, shelter, sex, water.  Hunters have used waterholes, bait, sex hormones/juices, mating calls, scents etc. and yet to the best of my knowledge it is illegal and immoral to hunt things in their nests, shelters.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
I'm definitely not too "good" to hunt near a bait pile. I don't do it very often, but I occasionally do. But, at the same time, I wish it were made illegal in my state of KY. I just don't want my state to end up like some other states where the land with the biggest(and most expensive) bait pile gets the most, if not the only, deer in the whole area.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2013, 07:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by Joshua Polland:
With all of these comments about the effects of baiting on the deer herd, I can't believe someone hasn't brought up CWD. The use of bait, especially in condensed areas will greatly increase the chance of saliva transmission. That is why WI has banned baiting in the CWZ zone, now if we could only get it banned in the rest of the state.
YEP this is my problem with it does anyone want that disease prevalent in their state?

Offline Nattybumppo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2013, 07:42:00 AM »
Baiting despite the common opinion is not the easy way out. You still have to scout and figure out WHERE the deer/hogs/bear want to be.

Having spent a ton of time over bait in the lowcountry of SC the biggest advantage to me is this. It allows the hunter to judge deer better. They stick around longer usually and you can truly view a deer. I was able to shoot mature does more often because I could see them with other deer.

Also I never noticed a difference in clubs where people didn't bait vs baited clubs. Most people cannot spend the money it really takes to make a difference in it.

Sit back and enjoy it!
Stalker Coyote #53
Northern Mist #55
Hoyt Buffalo #55
Compton Member

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »
Thanks for all of the comments.  My own property that I have hunted on for years was affected by people baiting all around it.  I have never hunted in a club before but was interested in it due to the fact that it was alot of property and I could get into some fairly remote areas.  It is also closer to the house than most of the public land around here.  I almost decided not to join when I heard how they were going to handle the baiting issue but thought I would give it a try.

In my opinion it would be better to have centralized feeding areas for the whole club to help keep the deer on the property.  One of the problems that I see with everyone baiting individually is that if someone hunts an area that someone has baited and they are less than 100 yards from it that that makes them illegal.  Also, like others have said and from what I have seen on my property it changes the deers natural patterns.  Oh well, I guess we will see.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2013, 09:06:00 AM »
It's hard to say anything good about CWD, but at least it has lead to eliminating baiting in the southern part of our state.  Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather be without the disease in our herd.    "[dntthnk]"  

One thing that nobody has responded to or addressed is how baiting impacts neighbors who choose not to bait.  Is it fair to those who prefer not to use that method due to their own personal ethics or preferences?  Or, as NBK stated on page 3, should we be forced to bait simply to keep up with the neighbors and give ourselves a chance?  There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that baiting on neighboring properties affects deer movement and dramatically decreases their usage of my land.

The other major issue in areas with large amounts of public land is that as has been mentioned before, it creates a competitive atmosphere and has guys protecting "their spots"  and claiming public land as their own.  The northern part of our state in particular has seen many conflicts and it has created real problems for many hunters.  

As I mentioned before, I don't have a problem with other people using what methods they prefer as long as it is legal.  But when it impacts my own hunting and begins to force me to do something that I don't want to do, it becomes a problem.

Or are you simply saying "That's tough, but I don't care how what I do affects someone else?"
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline toehead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2013, 09:30:00 AM »
Didnt read all the posts but the more urbanized out county becomes, the tighter the good "traditional" Bowhunting grounds become, and the tougher it gets to hunt like the romantics write about.  Here in Oklahoma where I love it's all farms and the only trees/ cover are around rivers/creeks.  On the small lease I have the deer have no reason o be there except for walking from their bedding areas to the south and the wheat/alfalfa fields to the north.  I have a huge white acorn tree that I have a stand in that dad killed a button buck out of last season with his longbow but that's 1 tree on 240 acres (less than 100 of which is huntable.  What bait allows me to do is establish a reliable deer pattern, keep them in the area and keep the does around during the rut.  I used bait on another area I used to hunt that was literally less than 2 acres.  It pulled deer off of the Indian land it bordered.  That being said I havnt killed a deer since 2008 and I've never killed a deer within site of bait.  Make all the conclusions you want about that but bait ain't the end all be all.  It gives me and my family opportunities to see and hunt deer we probably wouldn't be able to without it.  Not everyone has 100,000 acres of unfenced Forrest at their fingertips.   I'd personally rather be able to pattern deer I  an undisturbed "natural" habitat  but for most of America that isn't a possibility.  If I just hated deer and wanted to kill some I'd sit on the edge of a 100 acre wheat field with a .243 and pick one out.
proud member of
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Oklahoma Self Bow Society
Leedey Archery Association
PBS
Comptons Traditional Bowhunters
Pope and Young Club

Offline Rathbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by Whip:

One thing that nobody has responded to or addressed is how baiting impacts neighbors who choose not to bait.  Is it fair to those who prefer not to use that method due to their own personal ethics or preferences?  Or, as NBK stated on page 3, should we be forced to bait simply to keep up with the neighbors and give ourselves a chance?  There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that baiting on neighboring properties affects deer movement and dramatically decreases their usage of my land.

I'll only speak from personal experience here.  When baiting really became popular in Northern MI, we had a neighbor that put out TONS of bait - had a front end loader that he would fill up and dump.  The first year, we saw a lot fewer deer - most of them congregated to his property to take advantage of the food supply.  We still took a fair number of deer, as one of the main bedding areas was still on our place.  Year two, we saw more deer back on our side, as the deer started to catch on to what was up, and when he put out tons of bait, the deer simply waited until dark to head to the buffet - with plenty of bait, there was no competition, and all had plenty to eat.  By year three/four, all was pretty much back to normal, with the exception that when deer saw fresh bait (we started putting out small amounts to try to direct them in certain areas), they would freak out...then start looking for danger...and then started looking up.  It was fascinating to watch the old does start scanning the trees as soon as they saw it.

Now, in a few spots, we put out a little bit of bait, but mostly just hunt the well known travel corridors.  We have a pretty good sized herd, so there's as long as you're patient, you'll get your chance.

I guess the short answer is, that yes, in the short term, we saw it change everything drastically - but slowly work it's way back to normal.  The bigger difference is the location of the crops - what is planted where by the local farmers, and how quickly it's harvested.  But that's another topic.   :)
"Lungs are guts.  You can quote me on that." - Gene Wensel

Offline NYRON

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • LifeCycle Gear
« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
I appoligize in advance for the long post. Below is the text from an article that I published in Bow and Arrow Hunting magazine in 2010. It seems very relevant to this discussion.

It's long...if you're not interested...please just skip over it. No harm no foul.

Ron

THE GREAT BAIT DEBATE

Hunters are usually a pretty supportive bunch, but baiting is one of those divisive topics that will clear the proverbial “big tent” quicker than the after effects of your Uncle Frank’s venison chili! Attitudes about hunting over bait run the gamut from “it’s never acceptable” to “why would you hunt any other way.” As with most controversial subjects, arguments about baiting do not lend themselves to black and white thinking. It’s often a matter of perspective. Try this little exercise. At the same time, soak one hand in a bowl of ice water and the other in a bowl of very hot water. Now, simultaneously move your hands to a single bowl of water at room temperature. To one hand the new water feels warm to the other it feels cold. Your perception is a matter of your experiences and where you come from.

I’ve been on hunts in Florida and Texas where the sound of corn being whorled from an automatic feeder would bring hogs from the brush like fleas from a dead woodchuck’s back. Was this fair-chase hunting? I think so, but it certainly wasn’t very satisfying. This type of “Pavlov’s Dog” habituation to bait, simply short-cuts the most satisfying part of the hunt, which, for me, is learning a species local ecology and behavior to foster a successful stalk or set up that perfect ambush point. Baiting; however, doesn’t necessarily mean shooting fish in a barrel. I’ve been on baited bear hunts in Idaho and Canada that required just as much species knowledge and hunting finesse as many non-baited hunts. So, where does one draw the line? Is baiting okay for some species but not others? Is it okay for a given species in one region or habitat, but not another? Is it okay for one hunter, say a kid or older person, but not another?  Let’s examine some issues and arguments about baiting. The intent isn’t to reach any conclusion, but rather to stimulate thought so that each hunter can draw their own conclusions.

Species “X” vs. Species “Y”
   The acceptance of baiting is often related to the quarry being baited. For instance, some are perfectly fine with hunting feral hogs over an automatic corn feeder, but would consider the same practice for deer to be downright unethical. By the same token, many are okay with hunting bears over bait, but not other species. Why is this? I think it comes down to human perception and fundamental ecological differences among species. Like it or not, humans place differing values on each animal specie’s life. In our house, a lady bug crawling across the floor gets a careful lift to the outdoors, while a spider gets squashed. In the context of hunting, more value, and hence more scrutiny of hunting practices, is placed on a white-tailed deer than a feral hog. The value placed on each animal is different depending on your personal life experiences and culture. For those steeped in African hunting, the giraffe is often a sought after species, but for many North American hunters the giraffe  is a “sacred cow” meant only for viewing, not hunting. For the most part, these value judgments have no basis in biology, but they do play a political role in shaping our views on acceptable hunting practices. A given species’ ecology; however, provides a science-based framework to determine which hunting methods will strike a balance between fair chase and a reasonable expectation of success.

Let’s compare white-tailed deer and black bears. Deer are herbivores with their food more or less evenly distributed across the landscape, but concentrated enough so that savvy hunters can pattern their movements to and from bedding and feeding sties. Furthermore, deer are social animals and with adequate resources can exist at very high densities. Bears, on the other hand, are omnivores. To find an adequate amount of varied food, ranging from grasses to carrion, individual bears range over an extensive area and feed opportunistically. In many cases this means gorging on an abundant but temporary food source, such as a dead elk or ripe blueberry patch, and then moving on to find the next meal. A bear’s home range commonly exceeds 5 square miles within which its movements might seem nearly random to even an experienced hunter. In some western regions, spot and stalk hunting for bears is an excellent strategy, but in most eastern areas with dense timber and little topography for long distance viewing, it’s not a useful method. When spot and stalk isn’t possible, the extremely low odds of a successful bear hunt are unacceptable for most bowhunters with limited time and resources. For many, the solution is baiting, which holds bears in the area and keeps them returning to the same spot for relatively short periods of time—a behavior that’s common to a bear’s typical “boom and bust” ecology.

Region and Habitat
   What role do region and habitat play in the acceptance of baiting? For an example let’s look at two popular deer hunting states. Texas and Pennsylvania rank near the top when it comes to both numbers of deer and hunters. Yet, the deer hunting culture and methods in these two states couldn’t be more different. In the Longhorn state, where there is precious little public land, the emphasis is on intensive management of massive private ranches. Within the confines of the law, this gives hunters some autonomy to do things in their own way with little impact to other hunters or neighboring landowners. Supplemental feeding, baiting to lure deer from thick brush, and even culling of genetically inferior bucks have all become common practice.

In Pennsylvania, public land is abundant and with a little effort deer can be effectively hunted without bait in even the most heavily forested areas. In the Keystone state, deer management is practiced mostly at the state level and most hunting takes place on public land or small farms. The allowance of baiting would likely ignite conflicts among hunters on public land and start baiting wars on small parcels of private property. Differences in culture, land ownership, and habitat across a species’ range dictate whether baiting is an accepted and useful means of hunting in one place versus another. Having successfully hunted whitetails in 7 states over 30 years without bait, I have no desire to use bait for deer hunting. That said, I have never hunted deer in Texas and might find baiting there to be perfectly suitable. I see no reason to condemn another hunter’s approach without a full understanding of his circumstances.  

The Food Source Comparison
   I often hear deer hunters who are pro-baiting defend their practice by comparing it to hunting over a concentrated natural food source, such as a food plot, apple tree, or corn field. Sorry guys, but for me this line of reasoning falls flat and simply comes off as defensive. The hunter using bait has far more control of the situation than a hunter who is focused on a natural food source. Bait can be positioned to give the hunter every advantage when it comes to wind direction, shot angle and distance, and proximity to important habitat, such as bedding areas. Furthermore, when baiting the presence and amount of food is at the discretion of the hunter. That’s not so with natural food sources. When the acorns from the oak flat are gone, that’s it and when the corn has been cut, you’re done. I just don’t think the comparison between concentrated natural food and bait is legitimate. Hunting a cornfield is like trying to solve a Rubik’s Cube. Hunting a corn pile is more like paint by numbers. Don’t get me wrong, baiting can certainly be challenging, but it’s not the same as hunting a natural food source. Hunters who are challenged to justify the use of bait should focus on their specific situation and not make comparisons to other hunting methods.

Baiting Wars and Disease
The prolonged use of excessive bait can be bad for both hunters and wildlife. Introducing new food sources, such as large bait piles, into the landscape dramatically changes wildlife movement patterns, leaving adjoining landowners wondering why all of the game has disappeared. To compensate, the game-less landowner dumps a huge pile of bait and the war is on. Before long, bickering erupts, often resulting in a loss of hunting opportunity and satisfaction. I cannot tell you how many times I’ve heard bear hunting outfitters talk about sabotaging another outfitter’s or local hunter’s bait by lacing it with raw onions, which bears detest, or by leaving “Hansel and Gretel trails” from the competitor’s bait to their own.
More importantly, baiting wars can lead to negative effects on wildlife behavior and habitat, and to disease transmission, especially among deer. Prolonged and excessive baiting causes bears to become habituated to human food and eventually humans, making them potentially dangerous in areas with high human populations. For deer, excessive amounts of bait create artificially high population densities, causing over browsing and increased deer-to-deer contact. As documented by several scientific studies (for example: O’Brien et al 2002 and Palmer et al 2004), this extra contact between individuals and with feeders leads to accelerated transmission of diseases, such as bovine tuberculosis and chronic wasting disease.

Natural vs. “Non-native” Bait
   For some hunters and many (maybe most) non-hunters, baiting can be a bitter pill to swallow. One way to sweeten that pill is to use naturally occurring foods for bait. Functionally, there is little difference between a pile of apples and a drum of pastries--both serve to coax bears into range. But, there are differences in public perception and hunter satisfaction. Naturally occurring foods, such as acorns, locust pods, apples, plums, persimmons, pawpaws, and many others can be gathered and strategically placed for attracting hogs, deer, and bears. Hunting over natural bait seems, well, more natural and the process of gathering the foods and learning where to place them provides strong connections among the hunter, his quarry, and the natural world. Moving acorns or apples from one location to another to facilitate a hunting opportunity is less contrived than simply dumping a bag of corn. For hunters used to using bait, the differences might be subtle, but for non-hunters they are substantial. Imagine a hiker deep in a National Forest coming upon a pile of apples neatly covered with sticks versus a steel drum of 10-day old cheese Danishes chained to a tree! Furthermore, using natural food is likely better for wildlife health and less likely to create habituation to humans.

The Bottom Line
   It seems to me as hunters and outfitters, we need to make sure a few of the mandatory boxes are checked each time we make the decision to use bait as part of our hunt.

Fair Chase: There is no universally accepted definition of fair chase, but I think most of us recognize what is not fair chase when we see it. If you are in doubt, ask yourself this question: Would my hunting mentor (hero) be proud of what I’m doing right now? If you have any question that what you are doing is not fair chase, then make a change. It’s the respectful thing to do for your quarry and yourself.

Public Perception: When using bait the door is wide open for criticism from anti-hunters and, more importantly, non-hunters who might not understand the ins and outs of baiting. When talking about baiting with non-hunters, or even other hunters, make sure to explain that although bait is being used to attract animals, paramount to any hunt is the rule of fair chase and a general respect for wildlife. Explain why bait is necessary given your quarry’s specific behavior or the presence of insurmountable habitat conditions.

Aesthetics: Part of showing respect for wildlife and habitat is aesthetics. The bad image associated with baiting is sometimes related to the lack of care shown at bait sites. I’ve see some bear bait sites that looked worse than the town dump, with old drums, five gallon buckets, and food containers strewn around and plastic bags hanging from the trees. Bait sites should be free from litter and look as natural as possible. This is especially important on public land or if hunts are going to be filmed. Perhaps I’m an extremist, but I don’t even like to see a drum or bucket at a bait site. If large drums or other containers are used, perhaps they should be painted to blend into the forest and screened with brush. The bears might not care about a tidy bait site, but I think that the public and most hunters do.  

Summary
For me, there is no simple line in the sand. I prefer non-baited hunts when it’s feasible; however, I am not opposed to baiting under the right circumstances. If I’m hunting over bait it has to be a “do it yourself” hunt or with an outfitter who permits me to get involved. I disdain hunts where I’m expected to sit and wait in a blind or treestand over a bait that someone else has set. I will only hunt with outfitters who give me the flexibility to set my own blinds and stands, and fully participate in the temporal and spatial strategies of baiting.
So where does this leave us? If it’s legal, then it’s up to the hunter to decide the appropriate level of challenge they desire and what constitutes fair chase. I have my own lines, but I don’t pretend that one size fits all for every region, every habitat, every species, or every hunter. If your baited hunt is conducted in an ethical, fair-chase manner that is satisfying to you, and you behave in a way that reflects positively on the hunting community, then there is little left to debate…or is there? What is ethical? What is fair chase? These questions are why the Great Bait Debate rages on.
Your Forest, Your Bow, Your Adventure!

www.yourlifecyclegear.com

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
Excellent article, Ron. Another point would be whether the type of baiting being done improves or degrades wildlife habitat.  For example, around Sacramento, there is a lot of duck hunting, and duck hunting clubs put a lot of time and money into improving the duck ponds, planting the kinds of weeds and grasses ducks like, etc.  Most of this effort benefits the ducks and other wildlife that use the area during the majority of the year when there is no hunting.  Same can be said for clubs that maintain and improve habitat for wild pheasants (but cannot be said about clubs that raise pheasants in pens and turn them loose in a field on the day of the hunt).  I know some ranches in No. CA that make similar efforts to improve deer habitat.  Whether this results in any net ecological benefit in areas that already have adequate natural food for deer is probably questionable, but the mountain lions probably appreciate the extra effort.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
I never liked hunting over bait. In SC it is legal. The deer that did come into the bait were always on point and ready to be shot at...and usually they were does and yearlings.
  I had better success hunting trails leading to the bait, catching the unsuspecting deer as they headed for breakfast or supper.
 Like many states I don't see food plots as baiting but still hunted the trails leading to them rather than the food plots themselves.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2013, 01:43:00 PM »
30 years ago Cory Mattson and I went to south Texas on a javelin hunt. There were several guys in camp with us and all were using corn on the sendaros. Cory and I bowed up and were determined to do it "the right way" No baiting for us.

After the 3rd day, we hadn't seen a single javy while everyone else had multiple stalks and shot opportunities. WE bought some corn, trickled it thruout our area and where seeing hogs, deer and javies just a few hours later.

You can say we gave in if you want but I really don't care. Anyone who says they are fine spending 10 days hunting without seeing a critter is FOS. You may as well just go camping.

Don't cheat yourself. Have fun and don't be afraid to try something new or different. If this issue was cut and dry, we wouldn't have a thread about it 2 or 3 times a year
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:
Anyone who says they are fine spending 10 days hunting without seeing a critter is FOS. You may as well just go camping.
:biglaugh:     :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:  

That's the truth if I have ever herd it!
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2013, 02:21:00 PM »
Damn, Biggie! Laughs and wisdom. Your closer to becoming my spiritual guru after that tidbit.

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »
And now you know the REST OF THE STORY!   Made me laugh too... thanks Biggie for keeping it real!  I don't hunt with bait here in Oregon, but I have in other places for bear, and I would for hogs and javi if I got the chance.  I bait mice also, they love peanut butter.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
Biggie is my Hero...RC

Online Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »
I've been to south Texas a couple times, back in the mid 90's, for Havelina and Hogs.  The first trip, all three of us got a Havie, saw some Hogs, and went home happy.  We were the only ones in camp that didn't use corn. Like Biggie, we wanted to do it right.

The second trip, me and a friend walked our butts off for seven days.  No corn.  I got lucky and killed a Havie the last day.  My buddy didn't even SEE a hog or havelina.

If I were to go back today, I would drive an 18-wheeler full of corn!   :)    On a huge ranch, with thousands and thousands of acres of scrub brush, its just not worth it.

I've never been bear hunting, but I will someday.  And I have no problem hunting them over bait.  From what I know about it, you're hunting in a vast and remote area, mostly in thick brush. Trying to sneak up on one is almost useless.

But should baiting be legal in Alabama?  I say no.  I lived and hunted many years in Alabama, and own land there still.

Everybody in Alabama hunts.  People in the Midwest or northeast have no idea what hunting pressure is.  Every inch of the state is leased to hunting clubs.  And they can hunt with a rifle for 79 days.  I think (?) you can kill a buck and a doe per day. And they're all on 4wheelers.

I was in the hunting club mentioned in the original post, for one year.  Even on that much land, I was unable to find any of it that didn't have 4wheeler tracks on it!  And now those guys are gonna be spreading corn all over it, and argueing about whose spot it is!

But really, I just think that a little woodsmanship ought to be needed. Alabama has a huge deer population.  If you can't kill a deer in Alabama without using corn, you really shouldn't be in the woods.

The only reason this is an issue in Alabama, is because the hunting INDUSTRY wants to sell everyone a corn feeder.  Exactly like the crossbow controversy.  Just another way to suck some more cash from the hunters pocket.

Biggies right. This issue is NOT cut and dried.  But I think the main motive behind this, in Alabama, is to sell everyone a corn feeder.
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©