3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Too heavy?  (Read 207 times)

Offline peroneus

• Trad Bowhunter
Too heavy?
« on: June 29, 2013, 03:34:00 AM »
Recently I`ve changed my arrow setup and here is what I am using now.
I shoot 50@28 tomahawk diamond series and pull it 29 - it is around 52-53#. I am using Douglas fir shafts 70-75 spine with 225 in front and getting perfect flight and great bare shaft test. It is about 700 grains, FOC is around 14 and it makes 13.3 gpp. Broadheads will be tuffhead
I will hunt Russian boars with it, nasty animals with very hard skin so I am considered about arrow speed which is obviously lower then my previous carbon arrows and will it affect penetration more then increased weight.
Any comment is more then wellcome.
simplify
modify
apply

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Too heavy?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 04:46:00 AM »
Those should do ok if you're able to get close, 20 yards or less.  If you want to be able to take longer shots with less dramatic arrow drop then lighter may suit you better.

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 07:02:00 AM »
I don't think the arrow weight is too heavy... maybe just a few grains... but since you're getting perfect arrow flight and hunting what could be very large game, personally, I wouldn't change anything.

The increased mass will only improve penetration, and the loss of speed will be marginal. (unless you've been shooting much lighter shafts). The heavier arrows should quiet the bow some as well. If you can hit what you're shooting at within your confident shooting distance, it sounds like a great set-up to me.  :thumbsup:  

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »
The set-up is designed for penetration.

You are golden!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 09:13:00 AM »
yer setup is fine as long as yer shot distances are taken into consideration and are reasonably short, say within 15-20 yards.

what will matter most is a lethally sharp broadhead and good arrow flight.  the rest (arrow mass weight, bow holding weight, foc, etc) is all icing on the cake.  this thinking pertains to all manner of game hunted world wide, not just hogs.  enjoy and have fun!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »
Sounds good!  Get used to how it shoots out to YOUR maximum range (whatever you decide).  

Dr. Ashby's  report says more weight gives you better penetration than more speed.  

You have a heavy arrow at 13 gpp.  Let us know how it goes, and be careful with those boars.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »
Those boars won't stand a chance!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline PERUN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 05:00:00 PM »
Perun hybrid 62" 60#@29"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »
Your set up is very similar to mine-no problems-except for Mr. Piggy!   :archer2:

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 07:43:00 PM »
set up is good just get close 15- 20 yards that will work
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »
As long as your arrow makes it to the critter, there is no such thing as "too heavy".  That cannot be said for the other side of things.

Just understand the several downsides to going beyond the simple 10gpp guide.  These are not BAD things, but they are limiters and you need to be OK with them.  That's all.

ChuckC

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 01:21:00 PM »
As long as the arrow flies and performs well within your effective range and you are okay with the trajectory, it is not too heavy.
Sam

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 03:51:00 PM »
peroneous,I shoot bows in the low 50 # range and for the last several years,my arrows have weighed from 650 grs to 738 grs.The most recent batch are 728 grs with Tuffhead broadheads.I like the performance of them.I think the heavier arrow will help you if you get shots at the big boars.

Offline peroneus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
Thank You all. I just needed confirmation about what i think would be good boar setup.
simplify
modify
apply

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 07:46:00 AM »
For me, that would be too heavy, but if you like the way it flies, take it hunting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©