3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String silencers?  (Read 430 times)

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
String silencers?
« on: June 29, 2013, 08:10:00 AM »
What do you guys recommend for string silencers? I have beaver balls on my current string, but really have always been partial to plain old cat whiskers.

Offline rick7

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String silencers?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »
i make my own from yarn from wally world and it works great

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 08:17:00 AM »
Try some of two tracks very easy to install and effective

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 08:49:00 AM »
Beaver Balls look COOL!!!!!

I've had them on a bunch of my bows over the years!!! I don't know if they "silence" any better than others though...

However, once they start to get old,(and wet) they really put on quite a show when they "come apart" Lmao!!!!!

I was up to adirondakmtken's years ago and we were all shooting in Kenny's mom's yard. Manny (Frenchymanny) asked to shoot my old 1967 Grizzly... "SURE" I said, and handed it to him... Now, in hindsight... I probly should have told him that the nock point was raised to 5/8" and it was setup to shoot 3under... But hey, does it REALLY matter??? Well, Manny takes an arrow from his quiver,draws it back, anchors... and makes the most BEAUTIFUL, picture perfect release..... "TWANG!!!!!" There it a HUGE vapor mist!!! and a "fog" that kinda hangs in the air..... Every single piece of hair, from both beaver balls, was GONE!!!!! It was SO FUNNY!!!!!

Manny was SHOCKED!!! and so sorry and oppoligetic, that he messed up my bow!!!!!

I was laughing so hard, all I could say was... "No worries,Brother!!! I just wish I had a camera!!!!!"

The old Grizzly was just fine! I took the skin straps that were still on off & hunted the rest of the weekend. When I came home, I put a pair of catwhiskers on the string. They stayed on untill last fall, when my son Tyler, took a liking to Charlie's (cyclicrivers) yarn balls. Charlie sent Tyler a big bag of 3" yarn clippings, and we put yarnballs on both our Grizzlys. I've got to admit, They look REALLY Cool!!!!! Do they work better than catwhiskers??? All I can say is, I can't tell the differance, and the deer probly can't either.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
Cool story

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
Depends on the bow and arrow combination for me.  Most of mine are plain old wool yarn but on some bows, especially some recurves, I use small cat whiskers which seem to give me that dead thump sound that I like to hear.

Take care,
Jason
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 09:06:00 AM »
wool yarn
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »
I'm with Jasper2. I use what the bow seems to like. If I use cat whiskers (and I often do) I double them and trim them short so I get a nice dense round ball. Doesn't look like some kind of bass rig and seems to quiet the bow better. Actually, I like to do the same thing with yarn balls - get them as dense as possible and trim short to a small, round ball.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »
I like the looks of beaver or muskrat fur the best.  Cat whiskers seem to be the most effective at reducing noise in my experience.  Yarn balls are the cheapest and work fairly well.

I use muskrat fur for my primary string that I practice with all year long and cat whiskers on my two "backup" strings that I hunt with.  

I like to hunt with one of my backup strings so that I know for certain that I have a nice, fresh string with perfect serving and as little wear as possible.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »
Two tracks scallops...hands down!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Timberking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 09:23:00 AM »
I had some cat whiskers on my new to me Widow LAG and was getting a little twang to it. I was getting frustrated and then read this how to article on wool yarn silencers.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000132

My first ones came out kinda funky looking but WOW what a difference it made in silencing. I'm shooting like I said, a LAG, 54@27 64" with FF and a 70/75 POC shaft and for me it made a difference that was clearly better.
Timberking }}}——————>

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
I recently started using the same method as timberking above, except I use the two nails on the end of my homemade flemish string jig and a single strand of b50 to tie in middle. Works very well. Best thing about it...cheap enough you can change colors, experiment with size, etc. as your mood / bow / string changes.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
I just installed some hushpuppies,and they look good and are very affective.

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 10:05:00 AM »
I make my own also out of yarn. Easy and I can use different colors.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 10:48:00 AM »
Thanks guys

Offline delongbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »
I've started using acrylic yarn for mine, instead of wool. Might just be me, but it doesn't seem to hold as much moisture on the rainy days.
Dave

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
I recently made some string silencers from B50. They are lighter than rubber cat whiskers and surprisingly effective. I prefer them to yarn which can shed a little.
Instinctive gapper.

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Over&Under:
Two tracks scallops...hands down!
X2.    I have tried several and these are awesome.  Easy and effective.  Give em a try , you won't regret it.
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »
I have been using the Musk Ox silencers for quite awhile now. Recently started using the Navajo silencers from Centaur. I'm quite impressed with them as well.  :thumbsup:  

Bill

Offline Downtime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2013, 03:25:00 AM »
Years ago on this forum, I learned about using old bike tire intertubes.  I cut the tube in appr. 1/8" strips and install on string like cat whiskers.  I like using tubes from skinny bike tires.  A intertube should last a life time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©