3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow formula  (Read 158 times)

Offline Sharpend60

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow formula
« on: June 29, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
Help me out guys.
I recently picked up a new recurve.  It is 60@30 and known to be among the fastest in the world. I couldn't really tell ya because I can't seem to get arrows to tune worth a darn...  

I'm looking to get an arrow setup figured before early elk season.  

Relevant info: 62" total length, 60#@30 (I draw 30.5) cut 5/16 past center

Best so far: GT 75-95, 31" in length, 2" footing, factory insert, 175 gr point. Bare shafts show fairly weak. Feathered shafts fly well most of the time but seem to be very critical of wind, release and range. I don't want that.

Ideal arrow: No shorter than 31", use some variation of 130 gr piont. I'm not interested in buying new broadheads, i have screw ins and glue ons in that wieght. I'm thinking deflection needs to be .300 or less. Total mass between 580-600 gr. Must be inexpensive (dozens), carbon wood or alum.  4x4 or 4x3 fletch as well.

What can ya guys cook up?
Please also post a price tag, sans feathers and points. If ya got used arras that fit the bill, pm me...

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow formula
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »
Are you sure it's cut 5/16" past center?  If that's correct, you're going to have to build out the strike plate to get good flight out of carbon arrows, because otherwise they will be lying past center.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Sharpend60

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 12:39:00 PM »
Thats what the web site says.
It is a Border Black Douglas.

I did try building out the strike plate.
Arrows still show weak just impact a bit further left. Ive always used the nock as reference not the impact point of the arrow.

Im not against it but it doesnt seem like the root of the problem. The impact point concerns me less that the arrow flight. I have an adaptable shooting style and can shoot 1000 arrows a week if I need to get comfortable with the bow/arrow set up. But not until I get arrows suited for the bow...

In the last year I have steadily increased my draw to the point where I need longer arrows. Limiting my tuning options.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 01:29:00 PM »
Not to belabor the point, but you might want to stick pieces of white adhesive tape across the upper and lower limbs and mark the centers with a pen. This will give you a reference point to line up the string and your eye, so you can see where the arrow shaft is lining up.  The tip of the arrow should fall outside the string when the string is aligned with the marks.

The 7595's should work fine.  You may need to add some weight to the nock end using a GT nock adapter and supplemental weights to stiffen the shaft a little.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©