3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Byron Fergusons "Tuning for Extreme Accuracy"  (Read 507 times)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Byron Fergusons "Tuning for Extreme Accuracy"
« on: June 29, 2013, 01:06:00 PM »
I received Byrons New DVD in the mail yesterday.  It is titled "Tuning for Extreme Accuracy", the DVD runs aprox 43min and focuses on Byrons tuning techniques.  

If you have seen BareBow 101, Byron goes into a little bit about adjusting nock height and brace height to "fine tune" your bareshaft for straight flight, but leaves a lot of questions.  With the new DVD he starts with setting up the bow, and using arrow  charts to get you close to the spine you may need.  From there he shows how he bareshaft tunes starting from a full length arrow, by cutting down a little at a time until your get a straight stick in the target.  After words he checks with paper tune.  

He then goes into detail about "ultra fine tuning" with silencers, contact point, brace height etc.  I get the vibe from his body language and tone that this is something he proabaly doesn't concern himself with all too much, but the info is there if you are  tinkerer.  

Now, as with all of his videos and videos made by people who are sponsored, there are plugs in there for products such as the illuminock, tip velociter, Heavy hunter arrows etc, but it is not done in a manner that takes away from the film.  And lets face it, he is sponsored and he needs to promote the products.  

Overall I feel it is a great video, done in a  manner that more closely relates to how I have 'TRIED" to tune before as the O.L. Adock method is not for me.  I will try it out on some arrows I have laying around here that should work for my bow.  I will give ya'll an update on it later.  

Brian
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Byron Fergusons "Tuning for Extreme Accuracy"
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »
Thanks, I'll have to try that. I never liked OL's method either, and preferred the method taught by Ken Beck.  Ken's method stops with the arrow, however, and I have always been interested in the ultra fine techniques you mention.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 03:15:00 PM »
Ok, so i took some time off of getting my house ready to sell and stepped outside with the goal of actually tunning some arrows for the first time in my life. I typically by arrows fletched and just change out points and BH until they fly like I want.
my bow is a JD Berry Morningstar 50@26" drawing 26". I shoot three under so I started my nock at 5/8". Arrows were full length bemoan ICS 500, and I want to shoot 175grn tips. Following Byrons instructions, I ended up with 28 1/4" BOP with 175 gr FP and 175 grn Woodsman elite BH. I stopped when I thought the bare shaft was close and I fletched up three arrows. I shot 3 FP and WOW. So thats what its like to have an arrow fly right!!!! So the real test was my BH and 3 out of 3 in the bull at 20yds.

I stepped back to 60 yds just to see the arrows fly and it is unbelievable. I had read all about tuning inside and out but was always skeptical to start cutting shafts for fear of running them and losing money, but I am beyond blown away. Next weekend I am going to tune up my Vixen and Misty Dawn the same way and see what happens.

My vixen is fine I believe as my BH are hitting with my FP so I wont do much but shoot some BS just to see.

The misty dawn just lost her arrows because I donated them to the Morningstar for practice and it worked out.

Finished arrows are 437 grains for 8.64 GPP. and they are sweet.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
Oh and after running the numbers thru the spine calculator my arrow has a dynamic spine of 58.8 and my bow a dynamic spine of 48.8.  I don't know where put the infer in wrong at but thats what I came up with.

Offline monsterbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »
Sounds like an interesting video. I know somebody who loves to tinker, he would love it. Thanks. God bless.
John 3:16  Whosoever Will

Offline Lineman72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
Thanks for the input brian, good luck with the rest of your tuning!
Form form form
Fun fun fun

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 09:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by Brianlocal3:
Oh and after running the numbers thru the spine calculator my arrow has a dynamic spine of 58.8 and my bow a dynamic spine of 48.8.  I don't know where put the infer in wrong at but thats what I came up with.
Glad you were successful in your tuning process. There's nothing like the confidence you get when you're getting really true, great arrow flight.   :thumbsup:  

The biggest problem people have with the spine calculator is that they fail to enter the correct amount of center shot their bow has and fail to realize just how important this entry is in relation to finding the correct arrow for their bow. Just being a little off makes a HUGE difference. The thickness of the side plate MUST be considered in the measurement entered for it to work right and be an accurate guide for tuning.

As for me personally, I've always found that the method O.L. Adcock describes works flawlessly for me with every bow/arrow combo I've tried it with.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 09:12:00 AM »
Thanks for the review, I still like to bare shaft plane and incorporate the fine tuning methods you describe. Confidence in your set up is good.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 09:12:00 AM »
Ishoot,

thanks, it does feel great to have utmost confidence in the set up. Knowing that is tuned it and didn't just luck into a good flying shaft is great.  

For those who have perfected the O.L. Adcock method, like yourself, this way will seem rudimentary I'm sure, but for the tuning challenged like myself this method was a lifesaver. Thanks for the comment.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
Ttt for anyone interested

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brianlocal3:
Have you tinkered with the Person Form Factor on the spine calculator? (I assume you are talking about Stu Miller's calculator)

If you input an arrow that you know is properly tuned and it does not match your bow, you can adjust the PFF until you get them to match.

After you get that matched up, always leave the PFF set at that number. In the future (at least in my experience) you can input any arrow combination that matches your bow and it will be real close to right straight out of the calculator.

Bisch

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
Always interested in a exploring an improved possibly more simplistic method.

Did bareshaft tune at 30 yards, three different set-ups out of three different bows. For kicks, I shot all three thru paper and all provided bullet holes 3 out of 4 times. Note: One can only tune as well as one can shoot. Also, shot BH's out of all three set-ups at ~3 yards and 25 yards....all set-ups were golden.

Today, I bareshaft tune back to 40 yards. Hopefully, shooting form improvements will permit me to extend that range. Often times my shooting sessions and occasionally when shooting 3D's, I strictly shoot  bare shafts. Note: Olympic archers may bare shaft tune out to 70 yards.

If there is an improved and more simplistic method, I am all ears.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 11:11:00 PM »
Scott, you are far better than I bud. Thus why I opt for the simpler method.  :)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »
May i ask how you trim your arrows while paper tuning?  
- assuming you trim the end that has the nock in it..
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 07:16:00 AM »
If papertuning, I trimmed from the point end. I didn't put anything in the insert I just pushed them in so I could them out later.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 08:27:00 AM »
When you fellows bare shaft do you have the bow perfectly vertical or shoot with your natural cant?
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 09:23:00 AM »
I shot with my natural cant like Byron showed.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 09:37:00 AM »
Thanks Brian - just ordered my copy from Kustom King - along with a few other goodies ;-)
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
I have done well with O.L. Adcock's method but I am always open minded to other's thoughts and method's. I may try Mr. Ferguson's method soon.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2013, 01:21:00 PM »
Mostly I use OL's method. I shoot bareshafts with the bow perfectly vertical, canting will affect the flight. I bareshaft out to 25 yards to check what I worked out on paper beforehand.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©