3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting old Bear bows..  (Read 430 times)

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting old Bear bows..
« on: June 29, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »
Acquired a 64 Bear Grizzly Recurve in zebra wood about 4 months ago. It was originally from Al Reader's collection. 46 # @ 28". Since then, I haven't even touched my longbow. The recurve is much slower but something about it keeps me from wanting to shoot anything else. Just feels right in my hand...

Anyone else get this way with the old Bear bows???
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline Big Bird

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting old Bear bows..
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 02:31:00 PM »
Yep that's all I shoot is old Bears.and have over 50 of them.And last year I killed my doe with my 64 zebra Grizzly.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 02:45:00 PM »
I have 9 Bear bows from the 60's and would happily hunt with any of them...just that I have other newer bows that I like better for hunting...my favourite shooter though is my 64 inch 1960 Kodiak...cannot imagine a nicer bow to shoot

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 04:57:00 PM »
There's just something about an old Grizzly.....

I had quite a few of them years ago. In 1996 I bought a 1967 Kodiak Mag and a 1969 Grizzly for my oldest son Kevin. In 2007, I won a 1967 Grizzly at the JLMBH St. Jude's raffle. Killed a spikehorn with it that fall. Now, My youngest son Tyler is hunting with his brother's Grizzly, and I've hunted with my 67 every year since I've won it. I have other "custom" bows... But I rarely if ever shoot them.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 07:58:00 PM »
I have a 75 grizzly that shoots so good for me.Was going to use my 'tip again this year but decided on the old girl instead.Was my first bow to boot.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline hedgerowhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 09:44:00 PM »
I had the same thing happen to myself. A recent dive through the dumpsters turned up a very good condition vintage Kodiak Magnum that I can't seem to put down! The more I shoot it the more I want to shoot it, now here's where things get interesting, not only do I enjoy shooting it, but I honestly shoot it pretty good, so now I'm back at the beginning again, wanting to shoot it all the time!  :thumbsup:

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »
I have a 2000 Black Widow MAII hanging on my wall next to my 1969 Bear Super K. As you would guess the old Super K gets shot a lot more than the Widow. I love both bows but there's just something about those old Grayling Bears. One thing that ain't right is that while the Widow cost between $800 and $900 I picked the Bear up at a pawn shop for $50. I actually talked the guy down from $55. The Bear is #45 and 64" long, smooth as silk. Got a complete pass thru on a doe last year using original Bear cedars and razorheads. These bows deserve to be shot and hunted with IMHO.
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Offline birddogdoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
I like all bows...but can't help being in love with the 60's and 70's Bear bows with my favorite ones being a 1961 & 1967 kmag.

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 02:10:00 AM »
I've shot lots of different custom and vintage bows, but I always go back to my 72 K'Mag.  I did just get a brand new 59' Kodiak, but she's so pretty I'm scared to shoot her.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
I got a "61 Kmag this winter and shot it through may.  I enjoyed shooting it and it shot great.  The grip was fantastic and It was plenty fast and powerful after 52 years.  I am shooting another bow to roatate through.  If I get a deer early with the current up to bat, I may pick up the Kmag to see what it will do.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »
After more than 50 years, folks are still appreciating Mr. Bear's bows while others are just now finding out what they have been missing.
Lon Scott

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
I hunt with a 1960 Kodiak that I paid about a grand for...bows are tools to shoot...not just art forms to look at...that bow will spit a 9 gpp arrow at 185 fps

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 11:44:00 AM »
Bear, Pearson, Howatt, Wing, Shakespeare and others all made quality bows that "fit" with a large percentage of archers.  

They fit just as well today as they did then.

Was just out earlier shooting a 1962 Grizzly.  At 40# (good for cold weather tree stand sits) and cream colored limbs she just may make it in a tree stand this winter.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
Got to love thows old Bears and the new ones aren't bad either
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 11:43:00 PM »
While I have a stable full of longbows that I usually hunt with, but I've decided they will stay home this season and I'm taking my 59' Kodiak Special to the field. I know the K Specials are not as sought after as the other Bear models, but the Special has always occupied a "special" place in my heart. This one is now sporting a new feather rest thanks to Trap. At 64" and 55# @ 28", I don't believe any white tail critter will be able to stand up to it. Now if I can just keep from scratching it.

My pics don't do it justice, but maybe Fred will go along with me this fall and make things right.

Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
Speaking of old bears. What arrow set up have you all found to be favorable? I am currently shooting GT 5575s cut to 29 inches with a 100 gr. Brass insert and 175 gr. Points. Makes for a fairly heavy arrow but tunes to my bow. However, I have noticed that the arrows seem very slow. As I stated, the arrows tune to the bow. I think that I might benefit by going with a 3555 shaft and reducing point weight as well. Would lighten the arrow up significantly...

What have you all found the old recurves seem to favor?? Heavy arrow or lighter? I know speed isnt everything, but maybe im trying too push an arrow that is too heavy for 45 lbs...

thoughts?
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 06:42:00 AM »
I find 3555's work great with the 45# or so old Bears.

I prefer wood though.

I would think 5575's are spined too heavy for a 45# bow with the shelf cut the way bears typically are.

I do have a 53# Grizzly that highly favors 5575's. I draw over 29" though and still put a fair amount I weight up front.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Online Phil Magistro

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 07:02:00 AM »
I've always had a couple of old Bear bows but, over the past few years, have sold off most of my modern bows and focused on using the Bears.  I hunted last year with a 1960 Kodiak.  This year will likely switch to a takedown.  It's a newer bubinga riser but the limbs are old red tips.
"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best."    - Oscar Wilde

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 08:12:00 AM »
I use a 1971 Super K and a 1962 Kodiak Magnum.  The Kmag is a real sleeper.   Quiet and fast and it's still going strong after 51 years!
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
I shoot only cedar arrows out of my K Special. 55/60 cut at 28.5" bop. They weigh in at 540gr. At just under 10gr/in they are both fast and quiet. Don't have any carbons and not sure I'd want to shoot them if I did.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©