3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 4 blade delta or just 2 blade  (Read 528 times)

Offline dink

• Trad Bowhunter
4 blade delta or just 2 blade
« on: June 29, 2013, 11:09:00 PM »
bin shooting 2 blade deltas this year. i got used like them so far.Was going to get a new set for the season.Was wandering would i be better off with the 4 blade? Does the bleeders make that much of a difference.

Offline abbatoys

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 4 blade delta or just 2 blade
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 11:43:00 PM »
I am kinda interested in the same opinion on 2 blade vs 4 blade...
62" Thunderstick Moab  52lb @ 28"
60" Bear Takedown 45lb @ 28"
60" Bear 59'er 45lb @ 28"

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 11:47:00 PM »
I like the two blade just for the ease of sharpening.

Offline dink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 11:51:00 PM »
i believe i can get either hair shaving sharp 2 blade just a tad sharper.im more thinking twards the blood trails.does the 4 blade really makes that big of differanc.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 12:10:00 AM »
What is your arrow weight, true draw length and draw weight at that length, and what are you planning on hunting. I am considering using the 4 blade Delta's this year also and these were some of the first things Terry Green asked me and he's been shooting them a LOOOONNNNGGG time.   :bigsmyl:   Either head is a great head and the bleeders really aren't hard to sharpen if you watch how Terry does it in the how to section. The two blades are wide enough though if you don't have enough bow weight or arrow weight to shoot the 4 blades to leave a very nice blood trail though.
James Kerr

Offline dink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 08:30:00 AM »
My setup is 48# at 28 my draw is about 28 1/2.Im shooting legacy 2020 cut to 31. head is delta with a long alum adapter.Believe total weight is around 594.bow is a predator classic.bareshafts are grouping together along with broadheads and field points.might move up point weight would like to shoot shaft around 29 but still tinkering
  I know terry kills lot og game does he only shoot the 4 blade?

Offline dink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »
sorry will be hunting whitetails and black bear

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 01:19:00 PM »
Terry usually shoots the 4 blade Delta, or 3 blade Woodsman. I think for deer you would be fine with the 4 blade. For bear I would still opt for the 4 blade but keep one or two 2 blades in the quiver in case a really big bear showed up.
James Kerr

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 03:55:00 PM »
James, with your setup you will do fine with either, IMO.  If you have penetration concerns in the back of your mind, then go with the 2 blade.  You must have confidence in your setup.  Arrow flight, sharpness and placement are the key with any broadhead.  The Zwickey Delta, 2 or 4, is an excellent choice.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 04:01:00 PM »
Never shot the 4 blade, but be it 4 or 2 blade I think the end result will be the same......an easy to follow blood trail.   :thumbsup:

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 06:19:00 PM »
I prefer single blade heads. I shoot Eskimo's and Deltas and both resulted in dead game. The 4 blade will take some time to sharpen(bleeders) but open up a larger hole.

Take your setup, shoot an arrow with each broadhead from 20 yds into a large sand pile. See which one penetrates the farthest. At least you will get some idea about your penetration.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 01:34:00 AM »
I think with your setup either head would be ok. Now if you were going for elk I wouldn't even think of using the four blade with your setup. I just use two bladers on everything. I like them.  Gary

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
I vote 4 blade. But I have this thing for overkill... If I were hunting whitetails instead of elk, I'd shoot the four blade Simmons heads instead of my two blade Simmons tree sharks.
I think Terry almost always uses 4 blades, but I could be wrong.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 01:51:00 PM »
I've been shooting the 4-blades for at least 50 years now and I think the bleeder blades do make a difference in terms of blood trail and pass throughs.   If you're shooting a lighter pundage bow you may not get as much penetration with 4-blades, but I hunt with bows in the 55-65 pound range and the 4 blades work great for me.

Offline dink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
RkyMtnJoe hav u shot both and believe the 4 blade does make a diff.i was just trying to decide if there worth the extra time to get sharp over the 2 blade.I can get the 2 blade scary sharp in sec.it take me some time on the 4 blade.

Someone need to make a 4 blade stone that the slot is wider so you can sharpen the bleeders on it.Mite have to tinker with that idea.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 07:05:00 PM »
The bleeder blades get in the way when I try to sharpen the  larger blades so I just ground the bleeders off.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »
Been shooting Zwickey deltas for nearly 50 years, mostly the 4-blades. They do make a bigger hole and leave better blood trails IMO.  After some file work to true up the main blade edges, I use tru-angle file and hone blocks to get them razor sharp. I use a file to sharpen the bleeders, then strop them on the hone.  Quite easy to do, actually.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 07:26:00 AM »
Small world dink, I'm from Somerset originally.

I really prefer 4 blade for blood trails, unless it's a land shark then two is more than enough.

Offline Nattybumppo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 07:34:00 AM »
Just for what it's worth...

I've killed a bunch of hogs (way more hogs than deer but I've killed deer with everything from mechanical to muzzy's to Steelforce, Magnus, and Zwickey) with a bow. No matter what I am shooting I've always managed to get more penetration from 2 blade heads. That's carried over to deer too. I sent an eskimo thru a deer's shoulder last time. 180lb buck. Got the head back and it's fine. Hard to beat the 2 blade heads IMO.
Stalker Coyote #53
Northern Mist #55
Hoyt Buffalo #55
Compton Member

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 07:58:00 AM »
All other variables being equal, the 4 blade head will only leave a better bloodtrail if it's  sharper  than the 2 blade.

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©