3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Head to Head Trad Bow Speed Testing Results  (Read 1585 times)

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Head to Head Trad Bow Speed Testing Results
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
So much hinges on how a bow is designed and how it is built. I made up my mind a long time ago to not follow or buy into what so many consider to be established concepts. Many of which hit the brakes of progress and limit forward movement.

God bless, Steve

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
I find it interesting that when comparing my glass model selway. Which is the same limb design as the dark matter I'm only drawing .5" longer than you and shooting a slightly heavier arrow around the same poundage and my glass limbed bow is only a few fps slower.... Makes you wonder really how much limb material matters over limb design... Makes one really consider that extra few hundred bucks..... Just something to ponder
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »
Kirk and I have pondered the carbon vs glass thing many times. I basically decided to let the customer decide. Honestly at stickbow hunting ranges it makes some difference at extreme yardage or with heavy arrows but when you have a great limb design , it is marginal and I highly doubt makes enough difference to really matter. I have built and seen some really quick glass bows. When they reach a high enough efficiency level its hard to gain a lot with carbon. This is more true with the recurves than with the longbows because the recurves are light in stack and in weight to start with. I suspect (actually know)that the real speed in carbon is what amounts to a faster recovery time equating to lighter physical weight of the entire limb. This also eliminates some shock and gains some efficiency as the energy is more efficiently imparted to the arrow instead of lost in excess vibration.
I do see greater gains in the longbow designs with carbon than with my recurves.

God bless, Steve

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2013, 11:56:00 PM »
I'm not a speed guy.  I've got limbs with carbon in them and limbs without it.  I mentioned on another post that I know that when carbon is properly utilized in a limb that there is an increase in speed, but honestly, I don't notice it all that much compared to a limb made of good bamboo.  But what I do notice is the "deadness" in the hand.  The feel is different upon release and it is pleasing to me.  We all have what we like and do not like in a bow.  For me aside from inaccuracy, it is hand shock.  One of my weaknesses as a shooter is that hand shock distracts me and often causes a slight movement/reflex at release that affects my accuracy.  I know its different for everyone but that is the effect for me.  I LOVE a bow that is dead in the hand. Carbon seems to help with that.  Speed is just icing on the cake.  Please forgive my ignorance guys, as I am not a bowyer.  These are just observations that I have made.  Please feel free to correct me.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2013, 12:37:00 AM »
JOn: I agree with everything you said. That deadness is caused by the extremely quick recovery of carbon. It wants to return to its original structure instead of bouncing around and losing energy like glass does. To me that is actually more important than the increase in speed is. Just as you have stated.

God bless, steve

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2013, 12:47:00 AM »
Thanks to all for a very interesting thread, I have learned a lot.

Steve,
       Thanks for all the "bowyer" input, keep it up. Really enjoy reading yours and Kirks posts.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2013, 05:20:00 PM »
Couple questions on Tip RC. If people think numbers are slow my thought would be that my RC is 56". Most likely not Dave's Perf size.
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2013, 05:41:00 PM »
Thanks Mike for your report!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2013, 07:24:00 PM »
You guys are welcome - this was fun!!!
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
Mike, what was the length of the lynx? Did you find the shorter bows to be faster than the longer?
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
Also the lynx is a take down R/D bow. You stated it was a straight limbed longbow. I'd be happy with any of your bows tested. All very fast! Thanks for the research!
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
Interesting results.  Given that there's only a few fps difference between several of the fastest bows, it's very possible that string type -- material, strand count, etc. -- is what separated them.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »
Can they go faster????   :deadhorse:  

Curious to see what the old widows or bears would measure??
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
Lynx is 64"

Bow length was not a big factor since all the high speed bows were 62 or 64"

Yes - I am sure if I took the 4 wool silencers off the Habu's they would have broke the 200 barrier. Centaur only had one set of cat whiskers. Habu was not quiet with cat whiskers so had to add more. Again - key is the equalizer was must be quiet!

Mike
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline ozzyshane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »
Hey Mike did you check the weight of each bow this may be the prob with the two habu bows Thnaks Shane

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
I did not put them on my bow scale - I checked Chris's before and they were right on.  I will check that just to be sure.
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2013, 03:01:00 PM »
One thing Mike,. If you did not actually take the poundage there is the possibility of bowyer error. Including Mine. Then plus of minus two gr. could be 4 gr. which can be a couple fps. So when you have that many bows so close you could find under even your quietness parameters , which I believe to be a great idea, You could have the fastest being the slowest and the slowest being the fastest when human error. Bowyer and your fingers error include, is removed. Of course an instrument which would take each bow to the same decibel level would have to be employed but that is entirely within the rhelm of possibility.
Just some of my thoughts on this entire thing.

Thanks though for the results. I did kind of expect that instead of just speed that you would comment on the entire bow of each of those. That would be very interesting especially now that you have established such a parity in speed.

That is asking a lot though and I understand the time that would be involved.

God bless you and have a great day, Steve

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2013, 06:10:00 AM »
Steve - I can do that. Maybe have to do a couple at a time or keep it pretty high level.
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
Guys. Did a chrono shoot today with my two bows. a Toelke Super Static recurve 64" 50@28 and a Toelke Super D (Hill Style bow) 66" 54@28. Arrows were shot with good back tension at release.

64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2013, 06:40:00 PM »
Thanks for adding tzolk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement