3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Got first tree stand  (Read 257 times)

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
Got first tree stand
« on: June 30, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
I will be hunting deer this fall out of a tree stand for the first time. I found a very good cabelas ladder stand for $50.00. I will be putting it up today in the back yard to start getting used to it. Any advice hunting out of it would be great, especially safety. Thanks
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Got first tree stand
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »
Use a good quality harness. Pleasr have someone help you set it up at home or in ther feild and use a rope from bottom of stand to top of stand above your head to hook harness on to while climbing up I know a lota people say thats over kill cause its a ladder stand but better safe than sorry

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Got first tree stand
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 04:11:00 PM »
I'll second what Jake said, absolutely wear a full body harness.  I also recommend and use the full length ground-to-stand lanyard.  ALWAYS have someone along to help when setting it up and taking it down.  Ladder stands are great once they are set up, but relocating them can be inconvenient, so give your location and positioning plenty of forethought.  If your tree is lacking cover, it really helps to brush he stand in some.  If possible, I like to set up for the shot with the deer past me at about the 10-11 o'clock position, but it often doesn't work that way.  With use, you will find what works best for you.  Hope you found one with a full platform and a seat that flips up.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©