3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Picking a pig arrow.  (Read 325 times)

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
Picking a pig arrow.
« on: June 30, 2013, 04:16:00 PM »
I just moved up a little in bow weight to 53@28" (I pull right at 28") from 43 - 45#'s and have been working on a couple of different arrows. The first is an Axis Traditional with a 75 grain insert and 125 grain tip. The approx. numbers according to Stu's are as follows: TW 528gn, 10gpp, 16.8% foc, 182.5 fps, ke 39.0. The second is a CE Piledriver with 50 grain insert and 200 grain tip. The approx. numbers according to Stu's are as follows: TW 594gn, 11.2gpp, 17.8% foc, 172.5 fps, ke 39.2. I still have a little fine tuning to do, but both are flying well. I know conventional wisdom / thinking / science says the heavier arrow will provide better penetration all other  things being "equal". However, I seem to get as good, if not better, penetration on my targets with the smaller diameter Axis. I suspect  performance on a foam target is going to be different than on the shield of a boar though. Would like some opinions from those who know. I may eventually go to a heavier spined Axis so that I can have the best of both worlds,  but until I can do that, which one do you think would be my best bet at getting sufficient penetration for a quick humane kill? This all assuming I do my part and put it where it needs to be. I was planning to shoot 2 blade heads from both set ups.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Picking a pig arrow.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
My hog arrows on a bow close to your weight are Beman ICS hunters 500 with 100 grain insert & 125 two blade Magnus.  The reason for the ICS Hunter is I exchange nocks for lighted Nockturnals.  Hogs like to come in at low light and I want a lead on where they ran after the shot for tracking especially into the SC swamps. Don't aim for the shild on a big boy...low behind elbow for me.  Smaller hogs & sows no problem...tippit

PS:  Just saw you are shooting 45# bows too.  Got this guy with 42# Griffin.

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 04:53:00 PM »
Cory,
  I've killed a few hogs over the years and have stayed at @ 12gr. per pound arrow weight and a 2 blade head. Have shot both heavy wood (forgewoods, ash) and carbon. Most all the shots were close so trajectory wasn't an issue. Lighter arrows would work fine for small to medium pigs, but I think you'ld like the penetration of a heavy set up when that heavyweight boar with thick shield offers you a shot. Hope this is helpful.
                   Best regards,
                           Todd
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
I'm not really worried about trajectory as I'll be keeping any shots to 20 yards and under (preferably 10-15). I've been studying the stickys at the top of page and the general consensus is at least 550 - 600 grains to punch through on a big boar. I was just wondering if the increased penetration from the skinny shaft would be a sort of an equalizer even though it's a little lighter. Thanks for the replies so far...nice pig tippit, good to know it can be done with lighter equipment. I just figured since I'm able to handle more poundage now (2nd year to shoot trad exclusively), I'd do everything I can to maximise my chances. Keep 'em comin'   :thumbsup:

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 06:46:00 PM »
Both sound great so shoot which ever is the most accurate and recovers quickest.  At close range you need a fast recovering arrow to be efficient upon impact.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »
I'm no expert, no kills yet.  Dr. Ashby's report said a smaller diameter shaft made for better penetration.  

I shoot Axis, they are 9/32, I assume the CE are 5/16?  IMHO, I would use the Axis shafts, 10 gpp is plenty.  Use whichever you like to shoot best.

If you were going after BIG hogs....then I would recommend the CE shafts for the extra weight.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 09:42:00 AM »
The axis will be fine to take any hog.

You wont get a pass through on a big boar but it will get in the goodies. Since big boars don't bleed much to begin with because of the shield I think i like it better having that arrow sticking in the boar with the broadhead in the goodies getting slapped arround by brush hitting the arrow and cutting up all inside. It will make him go down quicker.

I took a 235lb boar with a GT 55/75 with 50gr brass insert and 200gr phantom and the arrow stick in the offside shield which was almost 2 inches thick. He went down in less than 20 seconds.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 10:01:00 AM »
For hogs I'd go w/ the heavier arrow, it also has a higher FOC
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 11:26:00 AM »
Its more shot placement than anything. Of the bigger boars I`ve killed I hit zero through the shield. I like to shoot them mid rib going forward or low in the pocket. The mid rib shot is a bigger target. A big boars shield actually runs down the top of him farther than it does in the middle. some guys shoot to high from a stand and its tough to get in at that angle and most of the time they will be to far forward or to high.Point is no matter what arrow you are shooting at those pounds if you hit wrong you won`t get in to the lungs.
  To answer your question its simple to me but I really aint that smart. I never dreamed hunting with a stickbow I would see formulas for arrows and % marks and such.......But in redneck thinking...heavier is better and a smaller diameter shaft seems logical for more penetration but the other would work im sure. Shoot straight,RC

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 12:11:00 PM »
great thread, because that's exactly my specs! I have a new RER Retro coming soon that's 53#@28" and I picked up some 55/75 GT trads, and am gonna tune up for something a little heavier too. gonna try to get a 100-grain brass insert paired up with a 160-grain head for some good punch and weight up front.

on my 50# Sheepeater, 31" 35/55 GT trads fly great with just the standard insert and a 125-grain point, but the whole arrow is a tad light for my liking (and possibly a tad weak). that's why I jumped up a spine level. i'll let you know how it tunes up.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 01:53:00 PM »
All of the above is excellent advice.
I shoot 50# and have gone to cedar and a 3 blade Woodsman.I focus on meat hogs since the meat is the trophy(to me).
My old set-up was a Gold Tip 35/55 with a 3 gpi. weight tube and 100 gr brass insert topped off with a 2 blade Magnus(610 grain total).

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 02:59:00 PM »
Either setup will work just fine. See RC's comments.

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has replied. I bareshafted the Axis today and they are flying great. My groups spread out a bit after 15-16yds, but at that distance point of impact is pretty much identical to the fletched shafts. I shot out to 25 yards or so, keeping the majority in the "kill zone" and bareshafts were still with the feathers, and perfectly straight in the target. The groups, if you want to call them that, were pretty spread out, but the fact that they were still straight was a good sign to me. Also shot the CE's, mixing them in with the Axis and point of impact was virtually the same out to 18-20yds. My main focus will be on the smaller "eatin' size" hogs, so I think I'll go with the Axis, but I might go ahead and carry one of the CE's just in case ol' big boy gives me an opportunity. Either way, I'll be looking for that soft pocket. Now I just need to shoot some with broadheads just to make sure. Then the hard part, finding an unsuspecting target.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©