3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dean Torges  (Read 482 times)

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
Dean Torges
« on: July 01, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »
Any updates? I love his writing and obviously his bow making. I just visited his site and it hasn't been updated in awhile.

Thanks
Kyle

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dean Torges
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
I also miss his writing. A really great gentleman and I am lucky to have one of his bows. I do not hunt with it anylonger, at 66 it is a little stiff for me now, but it is such a work of art it would be hard to part with. I feel guilty not passing it on to someone to enjoy and hunt with it. Perhaps on my deathbed they can pry it from my fingers.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »
Consider yourself very lucky, I would love to have one of his bows in my collection, something I feel will be the holy grail bow to haunt me forever.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
I miss him too.  I made my first selfbow at Denton Hill when Dean still had a booth selling bows.  I would work on my Osage stave and run to Dean where he'd pencil in what I should take off next.  What an experience to have him as my first teacher.  I also have a very special Torges bow...PBS 2000 Torges bow.  tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
Nice bow, Tippit. I have one with the same lineage   :thumbsup:

I too miss Dean on the message boards and at the shoots. Always a joy to be around, selfless, and he's been a big influence on my bowmaking. My mentor, whether he'd admit to it or not  :)

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 12:01:00 AM »
Love my bow too , just afraid to scratch it.

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 12:12:00 AM »
Is he now longer writing or making bows? Used to always enjoy his stories in TBM, he was always down to earth and made you feel like you were with him on the hunt.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline jax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 12:14:00 AM »
Heard he gave up the bow building and hunting.

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 07:29:00 AM »
Health reasons? If so, I wish him the best. IMO, his best stories were about his hoghunts in SC and his article on elk hunting, called " Tag Soup"
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline jcp161

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 08:04:00 AM »
I had email contact with him recently when I was looking for a squirrel dog. He didn't know me at all but was very helpful in helping me select a breed.

He also put me in contact with a breeder where I eventually picked up my mountain cur. Never gave any indication that something was wrong. Maybe just tired of writing? I too loved his articles and his website.
"In bow hunting, the goal is not marksmanship but shooting well. And shooting well, after all, is merely a matter of only taking shots you can make."-Hunting from Home-Christopher Camuto

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
As many do, I call Dean friend. I miss his wry wit and infectious smile.
Last time I heard from him he had sent me pictures of some smoked meats he was doing... dang guy caused me to gain 10 pounds.

I hope he is fine and living the good life.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline JamesJamison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 01:11:00 PM »
Dean is still kicking up his heels.  See him on squirrel dog message boards about everyday.  He still bowhunts as well. Great fella to talk with, met him at a squirrel dog association hunt last year.

Offline horseapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »
I miss his company, have some special bows of his...to bad he's a reds fan   :)    :)

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
talked to him a couple months ago...he is still making a few bows and hunting and cooking and enjoying life.

i never was able to get one of his bows and he stopped selling them and only gave them away after I got to know of him.  One day I hope to have the money to get one when it comes available....they are works of art but I would have to shoot it...maybe for squirrels for the first year only in memory of the squirrel hunts he would film that I would bust a gut watching. LOL
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 08:52:00 PM »
I just found this thread. I miss his participation, too. I always send him a birthday greeting and he always gets back to me.

I am fortunate enough to have two of his bows, one that he built for himself in 1994, the same year his book was published. It is the bow from the book, exactly. He re-gripped it for me, being a lefty, but left the right handed strike plate from when he shot it. Pretty cool. The other he built for me. It is one of his Ambush bows. I waited three and a half years for that bow. He wrote about my wait on the limb.

Boy, now I really miss him.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 10:16:00 PM »
I miss his stuff.....always a good read. I also miss Ferret, both had great self bow tips and good hunting stories.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »
Was just using one of Dean's Bowyer's Edge tools to taper down some wood shafts today.  Hopefully the chickens are keeping him busy and he's just not able to update his site.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 11:17:00 PM »
A BBO of deans IS my holy grail bow!
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 11:52:00 PM »
I have learned so much from his book and video. I met him in Denton hill in the late 90s. I was camping with my daughter and he visited  our site for a while and reviewed one of my early selfbows. Some well taken  comments directed me on my path to improve my skills. I also enjoy his writing,quite the wordsmith.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 01:58:00 AM »
I had the good fortune to spend a day with Dean and Jay with Scotty (if you read Jays book you'll know who I'm talking about) and had an absolute ball!   Wish I could get them back up here!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©