3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dean Torges  (Read 483 times)

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dean Torges
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2014, 12:56:00 PM »
Man some of you guys are super lucky to have even been in contact with him.  Much less own one of his bows. I have his book and video I've watched the video a bunch. Read the book about 3 times. Some of you said "holy grail" of bows I would completely agree.

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2014, 02:51:00 PM »
Yea, I need to finish my Torges seat. Really like his articles and teachings !

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2014, 03:17:00 PM »
I really enjoy his writing, and check his site pretty often in hopes that he will resume.  His recipe for lentil soup is amazing!

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2014, 05:06:00 PM »
Yeah, Dean's bows were and are very special. It has a lot to do with his sense of design and finish work, but also with a certain soulfulness, a certain sense of hidden magic, something that is desperately missing from the CNC shaped, infinitely reproducible, plastic, metal riser, carbon, foam core world.

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2014, 05:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:
I miss his stuff.....always a good read. I also miss Ferret, both had great self bow tips and good hunting stories.
I miss Micky Lotz, too. Nobody has come on the scene to replace these guys, and as a result, it seems like selfbows get less and less attention every year.

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2014, 08:17:00 PM »
There are some guys on the bowyers bench who are pretty cool also. Always there to give advice and encouragement. Don't think they have any published writings so maybe not as well known but right up there with Mr. Torges and Mr. Lotz.

That being said to own a Torges bow is on my bucket list. But I did meet him at Cloverdale and he gave me a strip of bamboo to back a bow with. Very cool guy! I have his book and it is all marked up as I actually studied it. I have the video also and refer to it on occasion if I haven't been building much.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2014, 09:48:00 PM »
I had the somewhat unique experience of sitting around a campfire a time or two with some extraordinary fellows!    :)  

Dean, Mickey and his brother, Mike and Jason westtvang, Mudd, Darren tyrrel...  Man those early MOJAMs were something special!!!!

***edited:  how could I forget Rusty &  JD Jones too?
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2014, 11:04:00 PM »
Just exchanged email with Joe Don. We have been friends a while. I have four of his bows, and his first Phenom, which is a killer bow and right there with Dean's. It's these guys that have made my experience in traditional archery so rich.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©