3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mountain Hunting - Treking Poles - Who Uses Them  (Read 494 times)

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
Mountain Hunting - Treking Poles - Who Uses Them
« on: July 01, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »
Just curious how many backpack hunters out there use treking poles on their pack in and out?    I've always carried my bow fully loaded and ready to go when I pack in but am considering breaking it down and putting it in my pack this elk season and using treking poles.    

If you use them, let me know how you like them and what brand/model you like.  Thanks

Offline TraditionalGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mountain Hunting - Treking Poles - Who Uses Them
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
I just use my bow. Haha, just kidding. I've never used them because I tend to see more deer or elk going to and from my destination than I ever find at my destination. I purchased the Tred Barta Eberlestock back that has a long bow quick release, but I have yet to use it (the quick release, not the pack). My long bow only weighs in at about 17 ounces so I figure I can carry it at all times.
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.”
H. L. Mencken

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 06:30:00 PM »
Have some...just can't get over thinking I am a geezer for using them. I will get over it soon enough!

I know Larry Fischer is a HUGE proponent of them.

I have one of those Eberlestock stickbow carriers I can send you if you want to try it. I am not going to use it.

I always carried my bow in the mountains. After the 2nd day of chasing lions in MT last December I abandoned that plan and I will never go back...the TT's will ride in the pack from now on until I get close!

Offline petalumapete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
I use them. Helps get my fat old bottom up and down the hills.
My knees aren't what they use to be and they really help save them.
Big Foot Sasquatch Recurve
64" 57#@ 27.5
Big Foot Flat Liner Long Bow
64" 49#@

Online DGW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 07:21:00 PM »
I used them last year on my sheep hunt for the fist time. Bow was in pack with arrows and went in over 9 miles, they were great should of used them before. After setting up camp used one hunting and carried bow in other hand, climing and decending the one pole was a big help.
Will use them again.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
I usually have a set with me but only use them with heavy.loads (80+) or if footing conditions warrant them.  Otherwise I prefer having my bow in my hand.  The two guys I went to Montana with both use and swear by poles.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
I usually backpack a month or more during the summer, and use trekking poles every step of the way. Reinhold Messner used them on his solo climbs of Everest, and they have been popular ever since.   I haven't used them hunting yet, but as I get older, it might be as good a reason as any to switch to a longbow, which, properly padded on the tip, could function as one of my trekking poles. I could string it quickly using the push-pull method and carry an arrow in one of those single arrow holders that attaches to the limbs.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
I have a pair of the ones that telescope....I take one hunting. My knees are shot and they really help a lot on the steep down hills. If I feel I don't need it I collapse it and put it in my pack. I even use them at some 3-D shoots......I have also used walking sticks that I have carved!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 08:17:00 PM »
I use a walking stick that I made.  Provides a third point of contact with the ground, and I can still carry my bow ready to go.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »
Invaluable when on steep rocky terrain. Saves your knees. When I hunt the steep stuff the bow only comes out if I start a stalk. Then I'm on hands & knees and don't need the poles.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Bowitis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »
I would be lost with out them.  They help me go farther, harder, and carry more weight than I could ever go with out them.
JD Berry Taipan
2 Heartland Surge

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
I started using them a few years ago on the pack in and pack out. Once you use them and realize how much energy you save and are recovered quicker for that first days hunt you won't be without them (geezer or not!).
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
I'm taking them on my elk hunt this year, and will also use them to hold up my tarp, I also use a walking stick at the 3-d's when necessary.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 10:47:00 PM »
I've been using them for a few years.I recently got a pair of Leki Corklite Aergon Speedlocks.I like them a lot.The poles can be collapsed to 20-some inches and carried on the pack when you want them out of the way.Even when carrying the bow,I use one pole.

They help your back,your knees and overall balance,carrying loads or not.They are great to lean on when navigating blow-downs,stream crossings,walking fallen logs etc.

I find myself using the tip of the pole to move dead branches or objects off the trail when still hunting,as opposed to the motion of bending over and picking them up.It is also handy to part grass or foliage as you travel through thick growth when snakes are out.

The pole can also be used as a makeshift monopod to steady your camera when taking those impromptu photos as you travel.Leki has a tiny camera adapter that goes on the pole's handle to attach your pocket camera for that purpose.

The carbide tips are good for icy or slippery rock conditions but I find the rubber tips quieter for most travel.

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
4 legs are better than 2. If you try, you will know the difference especially with weight on your back. Try a couple of sticks then buy a quality light weight set. strap to pack or in pack when not in use/no need.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »
Mine ride on my pack while hunting, but swap places when hiking in or out.  They're a bit impractical to use if you're actually hunting, but when hiking or carrying out a heavy pack, they're invaluble.  The Europeans figured out the benefits long ago, I don't understand why Americans took so long to catch on.  It's like the difference between 2 and 4 wheel drive.  They saved me from certain injury a few years ago on a snow covered, slippery mountain while hiking out.  The one's I use are Black Diamond Flick-lock carbons with the cork grips.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 08:38:00 AM »
Trekking poles will save a lot of energy, and help keep your knees and ankles in one piece.  They are also nice to lean on when you're gassed.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »
We used them three years ago on our Alaska Moose hunt and liked them a lot.  They were very useful when packing meat and I found one to be good as a unipod when glassing.  I just set my binos on top of the handle and it made for very stable glassing for hours.

They are going with us again to Alaska this year.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Centex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 08:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by gringol:
Trekking poles will save a lot of energy, and help keep your knees and ankles in one piece.  They are also nice to lean on when you're gassed.
Perfect answer.  I started using trekking poles as a young man and still you them today. Some poles tend to be noisy.  And different tips work better in different terrain.  My father bought a single for his Machu Pichu trip that has a camera insert screw under the top handle that seems perfect for a spotting scope.  Good luck.
Howard Hill Halfbreed "Sol" 68" 50@29
Hoyt Buffalo 62" 45@28"

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »
I can think of no other answer than "of course".  A trekking pole is essential for me.  I only use one while backpack hunting since I like to hold my bow.

Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©