3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elegance, JD Berry Morningstar  (Read 460 times)

Offline Lineman72

• Trad Bowhunter
Elegance, JD Berry Morningstar
« on: July 01, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
Finally I can classify myself as a Berry fan. I received my new Morningstar. The bow is simple yet elegant. Tea maple riser, boo limbs, African wenge outlining the riser, dark brown backside, light brown belly. 66" 51#@27. Absolutely stunning.

I couldn't believe it when I let loose my first arrow. Not even tuned, the quietness, slight hum, No hand shock ! Unstrung it gave a few twist,brace set at 6.5" 1/2 nock and wisp! Goes the arrow! Man oh man this bow is a beaut!  The grip is uncanny in that its giving me the same placement every time. I've heard that with straight grips you can be off 1/8" and your shot will be off. I don't see that happening here. Same grip everytime.

I've shot over 100 arrows tonight, haven't even showered. Time to go, wife is chuckling cuz I have a perma grin going on. To any of you who have not shot a jd berry bow, please try to, you won't regret it. Sorry no pics, don't know how, but brain local 3 will help!
This is a link to YouTube

Enjoy
Form form form
Fun fun fun

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elegance, JD Berry Morningstar
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
Here ya go Mike. You sure got a beauty there! Nice video too!!!!!

JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline jwhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
Sweeeet!  Love the T-maple and the dark pinstripe highlights around the riser... class.

And yes - they are shooters aren't they  :archer2:  

Glad you got it and now you GET IT!  

Have fun.  

Jerry
3 JD Berry Duo-Flex long bows
A pile of JD Berry ASL bows
2 JD Berry "OE" Long Bows

A Coyote ran accross the road, on the move without a home...
T. Petty

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
Hey Mike,Please don't call him "Brain" it'll go to his head.  :rolleyes:    :D  

I've got to try a Vixen one of these days.That backwards look of reverse handle bows still freaks me out!  :eek:  

I had a Serpentine longbow built by James years ago,best R/D longbow I had,so I'd imagine his Hill style bows rank right up there as well.

Offline Lineman72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
Haha thats the second typo! First one i noticed is the spelling that james did,  "mourning star" instead of morning star, but hey im still very very happy with this bow. And im not going to edit that either    :smileystooges:    :knothead:
Form form form
Fun fun fun

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 10:39:00 PM »
Just keep rubbing it in guys...lol

But every dog has his day and mines coming...lol Woot! Woot!

Congratulations on a good looking great shooting bow.

:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 10:40:00 PM »
Great looking bow.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline jwhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 11:38:00 PM »
I would like to add that I have always loved the yew faced bows that Mr. Berry has built but the brown and black glass bows are really under my skin now.  The brown glass limbs on your bow are just outstanding.
JW
3 JD Berry Duo-Flex long bows
A pile of JD Berry ASL bows
2 JD Berry "OE" Long Bows

A Coyote ran accross the road, on the move without a home...
T. Petty

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »
Dang... that bow is beautiful. Should have mine for this winter's late season. So many great Berry bows, should just put an order in every two months. Congrats on your bow. Mike

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 12:11:00 PM »
wow this is cool because yesterday I ordered a 66" 50@27 Morningstar with Yew over bamboo limbs, and bubinga riser (or Bolivian rosewood)how long was the wait? I'm hoping I have mine by november..
"Us vs Them"

Offline Lineman72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
Thanks for all the compliments, now I understand why Brian always praises berry bows.

Wait time was around 3 months. Well worth it in my opinion.

Mike
Form form form
Fun fun fun

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 01:51:00 PM »
Real nice looking bow.

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
James reverse handle bows took some getting use to look at, but once you shoot one it's over.  I've never had quite the pointability in a bow as I have in this one.

I'm not a technical guy when it comes to the physics or how certain properties are achieved in bow designs, but given how long bows have been around having an original design would be merely impossible.

As James explains it, the reverse handle allows for the arrow to achieve full paradox before departing the shelf, which gives what he feels is more consistent flight.  I dunno, but I like..   :dunno:  

Curious what your backstop is for arrows also.

Beautiful bow and I bet it's a real shooter.

Congrats!
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline Lineman72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »
Chromebuck, my backstops consist of a bale of hay and on top a block target that blunts are beating to heck, also a home made sand pit. Took 2-4x4x6 cut in half made 4-3' post, my kids old wooden bed frame with my water softner bags and filled the area with sand, put my old layered target in there first. Used about 300# of sand, still need more. I like it because i can shoot points,blunts,bh in there. I didnt like it at first because of the fine sand i always had to clean off arrow. I made this sand target because i shoot mostly woodies and i heard that with the repeated shooting in the sand it actually strengthens the arrow. I really like the blunts now because i walk around my backyard shooting at clovers,branches,etc.

Thanks for the compliment, the bow is elegant imo, and yes its an awesome shooter. I have never ever had a longbow so quiet andhandshock free. Almost have it tuned where theres nothing after the arrow leaves. Tbh its kind of erie

Hows the taipan?

Mike
Form form form
Fun fun fun

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 11:21:00 PM »
Mike,
I find myself just going back and re watching that video. I love my Morningstar, and its cool to see one being shot.  About to go out and do my nightly shooting in the dark.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Lineman72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
Brian, I do the same thing. Research and rewatch the videos of myself. I like to watch how the limbs bend, my form, the arrow. But mostly my form. Only started to shoot with focus on form the past couple of months. I have much to thank from TG  family. Without all of you I don't think I would be where I'm at in my trad archery journey.

My wife is happy because I'm home doing my hobby and not far away, happy wife happy life is what my mom always told me. Although she did ask if this was the last bow I'm going to buy.....  ;)
Form form form
Fun fun fun

Offline hawaiiarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 02:18:00 PM »
Aloha Mike,
Great looking longbow & video looks great. You make the poundage of the longbow look light. To be young again. One thing that concerned me was were your target was placed. It looks like your house is the backstop. Remember Murphy's Law, Sh***t happens( :(
I think a bunch of us on trad gang have put holes in our walls. I had to do a quick repair before the wife found out & calls me an ijut!!
Mahalo & Good Shootn',
George

Offline Lineman72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »
Aloha George!
Thanks for the compliment sir.
Lol well to be honest that back stop is a two story shed, lower/doll house upper with a slide. My girls dont use it much any more and the bottom part is the tool shed. I think of the arrow holes that are already there as a ventilation system :-)

Sort of does look like swiss cheese lol!
Mahalo & good shootn to you as well sir!
Mike
Form form form
Fun fun fun

Offline hawaiiarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 01:01:00 PM »
Hi Mike,
The vent system sounds great. Let me know what spine arrows you ended up using for the Morning Star, especially if you are using wood arrows. I am waiting for my morning star @ 47# & after talking to James ordered sitka spruce from Hildebrand 50-55 spine 29" long. I need to order wood for my vixen @ 50# & I think 55-50 spine should match.
George

Offline Lineman72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 12:48:00 AM »
Aloha George
Im using POC 50-55# 29" bop from hha. They are flying great. Im really enjoying the blunts. Morning star is 51#@27.The hha arrows fly really nice, I ordered a dozen, but got 4bh,4blunts,4 field points each. I just ordered some from kootenai, they are a contrib here also. They are the economy with the tapered 11/32 -5/8, kind of like the alaskan grizzly sticks i have. I will post how they work. The full length carbons fly unbelievable, but i dont like that much arrow past my riser. And i think they sound different, but that could be me.
Mahalo
Mike
Form form form
Fun fun fun

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©