3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Practice...how much do YOU do..??  (Read 717 times)

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Practice...how much do YOU do..??
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 11:16:00 PM »
One thing I like to do is go shooting "gophers" which is our slang term for Richardsons ground squirrels in this neck of the woods...going shooting with my outfitter buddy later this week if the weather cooperates...great small live target to make you focus on hitting a small spot...and tons of shots on a good day

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »
I shoot almost every day. If I take a day off, it is usually Monday cause that is the day that the local archery shop is closed.

Bisch

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2013, 12:56:00 AM »
If you want to improve I suggest you sign up for a shooting clinic or take lessons from a pro.
Just shooting more arrows will not always make you better. In a lot of cases in just ingrains poor shooting form. Most of us do not want to admit that maybe we do not really know what good form is. I shot for about 50 years before I decided to take lessons. The $225 I spent was by fair the best money I ever spent on archery.
John

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2013, 01:09:00 AM »
I normally shoot 3-4 times a week on my days off from April through September.

Before each hunt I warm up in my shop by shooting 5 arrows. When hunting, we shoot a few judos on our way out, then practice again before we hit the woods for the afternoon hunt.

It's important to continue shooting during hunting season. It's a common mistake among most bowhunters not to practice enough because all their thoughts are on hunting. You have to remain sharp throughout the season.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline jlowrey75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2013, 07:33:00 AM »
Not enough, but generally 35-40 shots a day.
BlackWidow PCHX 60"47@27
A&H ACS 60"49#@28
Centaur Chimera 60"50#@28

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2013, 07:51:00 AM »
right now I havent shot at all in 2 months. I am on a siesta. I find that taking a break is a good thing. usualy I will find upon returning I am shooting good, sometimes better than when I stopped. I am fletching up my arrows for this coming season and will resume my "normal" practice in the next few weeks. That would be 3 times a week, up to 60 or so shots a round, sitting, kneeling, standing, leaning, twisting, etc... and dont forget to practice with the ghillie on!

L.R.
Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

Offline RETARMY06

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2013, 09:04:00 AM »
I try to shoot every evening on weekdays, a few times a day on weekends. As for duration I shoot until I start getting sloppy, then stop for a while. Frustration makes things worse IMO. Once your mental focus is gone, it's all over for that session!   :(

Offline Big Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »
I'm fortunate that my archery club is a short distance from work.  I rarely leave the house without a bow and quiver.  I shoot for 30-45 minutes over my lunch break.  On my days off I'll spend a couple hours stumping around the course.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2013, 10:25:00 AM »
My routine is in the morning I shoot a single arrow with BH from hunting positions (sitting on stool, tree stand, kneeling, etc...) that's it, one arrow - I make it count or I live with a miss.  Afternoon I shoot for form and various positions (10-30 yards) for about 30-60 minutes.  Weekends might find me out stump shooting which is my favorite.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
I shoot everyday. sometimes only one or two arrows and others 50-60.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
Everyday I shoot at least 2 dozen or so!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2013, 08:25:00 AM »
I love to shoot. I shoot a lot.  

I shoot with a purpose as I work on some aspect of form or getting to "know" different distances.  I don't call it practice though. I reckon I ran so many miles of practice in school the term is associated with work and pain.  I leave both of these out of archery.

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
3-4 times a week, 25-50 shots per session.
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline gonefishing600

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2013, 07:44:00 PM »
Probably more than I should, everyday, sometimes twice a day, sometimes 3 times a week. Sometimes me and my boys will spend most of the day shooting. It's become a way of life for us.

I shoot when I feel like it, and that's a lot.
JD Berry Argos 64" 48#&28"
Toelke Classic Whip 64" 46#@28"
Acs one piece 64" 46#@28"
BlackWidow PLX 66" 46#@28"

Online 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2013, 11:08:00 PM »
Just enough to keep my confidence up but not enough to pick up bad habits. Still haven't found the perfect amount.

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2013, 11:35:00 PM »
A hundred arrows in one "session" would be too many for me.   Sounds like you could go up on bow weight.  

Probably shoot about 100 a week, but varies a lot.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline jsparky93

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2013, 02:27:00 AM »
I try to shoot every day for maybe an hour or so. Sometimes more if I am shooting really good & less if im not shooting good.

Offline Lineman72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2013, 07:32:00 AM »
I try to shoot 15-25 minutes before work in the mornings. I like to bring two bows when i shoot in my backyard. A light and heavy bow. I warm up with my 50ish for about 5, then goto my 70# for 5-10, then finish with my 50ish to check form, always finishing with my lighter weight bow for form. After work, its which ever i pull off the rack, form shots for 5, then messing around via sticks,bugs,dandelions,kids balls,crab apples. Keeps it interesting, and that to me is fun :-)
Form form form
Fun fun fun

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2013, 08:08:00 AM »
Every day 5- 50 arrows a day, for me it's all about the muscle memory making that shot be second nature that's why I shoot everyday and make sure I use good form on every shot, some days are better than others but for the most part I'm usually right where I want to be, another thing.... Shooting my bow provides a release from the world for a moments when it's just me, the bow, the arrow, and my instincts
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
I try to shoot 5-10 perfect arrows every day from 18-20 yards. And then about 50-100 on each day of the weekend either at the range or in the yard. So on average 200 per week.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©