3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Part I: "Frog point” for those who like eating frogs compared to missing frogs!  (Read 1072 times)

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Now go shoot some frogs!

Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
My luck, I'd make those side bends just EXACTLY the right size to miss the frog on both sides, and pin him temporarily to the bottom till he wiggled out and was GONE!

That is very interesting. So the concrete wire actually fits up inside the threaded insert?

In pic 6, it appears there is a bump in there and the insert looks like it is way shorter than the 1 1/2" long "tail" you left to go up inside?

Can you clarify that for a dummy???

Thanks and very ingenious!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
I'll definately be making these!  I lost 2 judo points to over determined bull frogs who hopped away with my arrows! I had to hand grab and "fishpole" the remainder of the day.  Great idea here. Thanks for the help.

Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

• Trad Bowhunter
Hey Doc, yes the wire size used here (concrete re-enforcement) actually screw in almost like a threaded insert. These are GT inserts with an opening on the end so the extra length screws pass the end for extra security once the glue expands.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thanks for that clarification, John

I use the heavier brass inserts and they don't have the "thru hole". I don't know if that is available on other arrow mfg inserts or not.

I'm sure that I have a few of those old GT alum inserts around as I've shot GT's a lot over the years.

Problem is finding frogs around my area.  I think our chipmunks eat frogs, instead of the other way around!   :saywhat:    :rolleyes:

I have a concrete guy a few doors down. Maybe I can get him to bring me some wire scrap to make up just a few... just in case!

I'm thinking that clarification on the length and using inserts might help others, as well!

Thank you!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

• Trad Bowhunter
Mike,

Great mess of frogs!

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
John, I'm not sure what I like better, the tutorial or the plate of cooked frog legs  :thumbsup:  Looks like I just acquired a little 4th of July weekend project!

• Trad Bowhunter
Larry,

Same here while posting the pictures last night I could smell and taste the lightly battered and golden fried Frog legs just by looking at that picture!   :bigsmyl:

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
About how much do those weigh in at?
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
Hey, those are great! Thanks for the tutorial.
Member NCBA

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
AWESOME tutorial!!!

:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:    

It makes me want to go harvest some frogs for supper!

Keep the wind in your face!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

• Trad Bowhunter
Garrett,

You can adjust the weight by adjusting the width and length of the head.

In the picture below the smaller head and insert weight 200 and is the same as my normal head wt range.  The bigger head I didn’t weight but would venture to guess 300.

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
Originally posted by South MS Bowhunter:
Garrett,

You can adjust the weight by adjusting the width and length of the head.

In the picture below the smaller head and insert weight 200 and is the same as my normal head wt range.  The bigger head I didn’t weight but would venture to guess 300.

Thanks for the reply.  That is just the kind of info I was hoping for.  My setup is a 100gr insert with 125 point.  I may try making a couple frog-gigging arrows with my next batch of arrows using a standard insert.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Doc,  I am guessing that "bump" is just a glob of that wet glue, made to look more than it is by the picture.

ChuckC

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Stick a couple in your pack or quiver pocket for an emergency fish arrow when you go hunting . Would work real good. Catch a lot of squirrels and chipmunks too.

God bless, Steve

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Chuck, I suppose you're right...

Sure is a slick set up! If we had much in the way of frogs hereabouts, I'd be all over this. Still want to make up a couple... As suggested by Steve, I bet they'd make some interesting fish points too... but might require more adaptation to not pull back out too easily.

Very cool idea! Only ate frog legs once..sauteed in a seafood restaurant. Aside from their looking like small people torsos and legs... they were delicious. Done in butter and garlic and white wine I believe!

of course, those pictures of li'l frogs in wheelchairs coming out of the kitchen later made me do a double take though!    :rolleyes:    :saywhat:

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

• Trad Bowhunter
Chuck and Doc, yes that is just the glue you're seeing in that picture.

Steve I like that ideas!  A small bottle of Gorrilla glue activated by water and your set, could be super glue for that matter but I like the expanding foam that surround the end of the inserted piece that give a Little more grip.

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
Great tutorial!  Gonna make up some and play around with them!
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
Giggin arrow heads COOL!!!!! I love frog legs, I know what I'm doing today. Thanks  :)
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

• Trad Bowhunter
For those of you wondering how they shoot or fly, at the range i’m shooting 10’ to 25’ they fly great.  I do carry a blunt tipped arrow for the frog that like to sit on the logs, but if your shooting ability is  good you can easily knock them off with head shots and not risk sticking the head in the log.

In the likelihood you do stick the log careful back and forth movement has gotten the heads out for me, and usually the logs are waterlogged to the point to allow easier removal.

The surefire cure for this though is “Don’t Miss"   :pray:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©