3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: fletching help  (Read 321 times)

Offline Knobbir

• Trad Bowhunter
fletching help
« on: July 03, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »
My dad let me borrow his Martin fletching jig, and I tried to fletch up some shafts. It is a right wing type. I messed around with the jig to figure out how to work it and got the instruction manual online as well. I do not remember switching the plates, and am sure that I did not.
I started with Kustom King pre-finished 11/32 shafts, and marked the top of the shaft before gluing on the nocks.  Then I used an arrow that my dad made to make sure I had the jig set up right, and knew where the cock feather would go. I made sure I used right wing fletch. I messed up a couple because I got confused on which was the cock setting, but that was okay.

Here's the problem: after all of them were done,6 woods and 6 carbon, I noticed that the cock feather was not just a little off compared to the nock, but that the best orientation was having the cock feather DOWN instead of OUT 90 deg.  The arrows shoot well that way, but don't look right, and are not like I wanted.
I want to fletch up the last 6 wood shafts for broad heads (I picked out the best 6 to do this with) but I want them right.  
What did I do wrong?
I don't have picts, but if it helps I can post some tonight.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: fletching help
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 03:52:00 PM »
Just press fit your nocks till you are done fletching, then re-orient your nocks and glue.
Tom

Offline Knobbir

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »
That will be the plan next time.  The remaining six are glued in with Duco. Also, the carbons came with the nocks glued in.  Best way to loosen the Duco without a flame?

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »
I usually cut nocks off with,a,sharp knife. Just whittle each side till it will pop off. That is on wood and aluminum.

Orientating  the  the nocks to match fletching,on wood arrows can put the wrong grain against the bow.

Best,way to learn the jig is to do a dry run.
Mark where you want the cock feather and stick one feather and clamp in the jig and see if it lines up. Do this before glueing on the nock.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »
You probably didn't do anything wrong.  If you put a lot of helical in the feather, adjusting the top and bottom knobs in opposite directions, the cock feather doesn't align perfectly with the nock, but the jig aligns the two hen feathers for best clearance from the bow window. Repositioning the nock, will likely cause the lower hen feather to turn more into the riser, increasing the likelihood for contact with the riser.

Offline Knobbir

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 06:00:00 PM »

IMG_0777[1]  by  MrKnobbie , on Flickr
After looking at (left to right) a) a left wing test arrow from 3rivers, b) one my pa did, c) my first set of woodies that I fletched, and d) my first carbons that are a little smaller diameter, I'm think that maybe I'm being silly, and these turn out okay for my first go at fletching.  
I will say that this forum made this effort possible, and the advice on this thread will not go unused next time.
Thanks Trad gang guys and gals!

Offline Lineman72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 12:37:00 AM »
I just went thru my woodies today. Some had bad nocks or feathers. I dont know what glue was used for the nocks or the field points, but 30 secs in boiling water they just came off using my archery pliers, the ones used for putting on  nocks. Imdid this using a tea pot, wife looked at me funny....
Form form form
Fun fun fun

Offline Brently

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 03:56:00 AM »
With a Martin jig there a 3 plates that come with them, one plate for four fletch, one for cock feather out, and one for cock feather down.  Sounds like you have the cock feather down plate in it.

Offline proprod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »
Don't worry about your wife looking funny at you so much. Mine looks at me funny all the time too. Especially when I use the kitchen like a science lab. just by her some nice kitchen stuff every now and then and replace anything you destroy with something nicer. Order something nice from that famous river on line in South America and surprise her and you can keep your lab privileges intact.
Hoyt Buffalo 45# 62 inch

Offline Lineman72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
:clapper:
Form form form
Fun fun fun

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©