3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Widow vs Blacktail Elite VL  (Read 428 times)

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
Black Widow vs Blacktail Elite VL
« on: July 03, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
For those if you who've had or shot both, how do they stack up?

Offline MikeM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Widow vs Blacktail Elite VL
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »
I have both( Widow PMAX and Blacktail Elite VL) same length and poundage - 64" 46#@30" draw. I have not chrono'ed them. The Black Widow seems to hit harder. Both are smooth drawing but they feel very different. The difference in feel I think has to do with the mass weight of the riser - greater in the widow. The grip is a little higher profile on the Blacktail but is fuller in the palm swell and I have the Asbell grip on the widow which has a fuller grip than the standard widow grip. I have chosen to not use a bow quiver on the widow because of added weight. The Blacktail with a quiver still weighs less than the widow without a quiver. My preference between them depends on when you talk to me since I like them both. At the moment the Widow has the edge.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 07:09:00 PM »
Two very different bows. MikeM hit the points pretty well above. I prefer the heavier mass weight of the PSA, PCH, and PA. The beauty of the Blacktail is tough to beat.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
I have had several BW bows but I would compare the MAII I had to the Blacktail Elite  VL I now have. Mike M hit it on the mass weight. Both bows are great shooters and my BT has a higher grip and is the most accurate bow, for me, I have ever shot. The MAII with whiskers was hands down quieter, I have struggled to get the Blacktail near that quiet. Speed wise my BW was 5#'s heavier so I can't judge them against one another but both shoot at better than average speed I would say.

To sum it up though because they are two very different bows ... The Blacktail Elite is a "pretty bow" and you have to take care when hunting it, the BW MAII on the other hand I could drag behind my truck and feel confident it would still hunt.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
Thanks guys

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
Have had both, I would take the widow every time.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 12:16:00 AM »
I think they both stack up very very well.
I have had multiple Blacktails in a few different lengths and both the one PC and 3 PC  and many Widows in all models (except the KB)and many lengths.

I think you will find some prefer the Widow and some the Blacktail for a variety of reasons.Its a close call for me personally on which brand I would prefer for overall performance.I do like them both.

I think you would need to handle both of them personally to see which one is your cup of tea.

The Widow is a very solid and tough bow.

Aesthetically speaking I think the Blacktails are about as pleasing to the eye as any recurve made.Very beautiful bows!

Online Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 07:51:00 AM »
I agree.  I have owned only one Blacktail, but I have owned many Widows.  I had traded into the Blacktail and had always wanted to try one.  I believe it still is the most beautiful bow that I have ever owned.  That being said, I sold it shortly after getting it.  For me the Widows seemed a little quicker and just shot better for me.  I like the mass weight of the Widows and pretty bows are nice, but I always stick with what shoots best for me.

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 08:48:00 AM »
Have had a few widows and two Blacktails. They are very different in looks and shootability. Looks aside-the widow seems to draw easier and does not make the sholder sore for the same size and weight bow. Had had Blacktails, Dyes, Robertsons, and kept the Widow recurve. Everyone has a opinion-my favorite bows are Widow PSA recurves and Hummingbird 3 piece longbows. Thanks, Roy
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
Love my Blacktails. Can't imagine every wanting more bow. They have it all for me.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Keith Langford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 09:06:00 AM »
Had a 60" PSA and a 62" Blacktail, for me personally the grip and the smoothness of the draw were much more suited to my liking on the Blacktail, did like the mass weight on the PSA better though. I have a snakebit due in September.
John 3:16

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 09:34:00 AM »
I have shot both and now own several Blakctails. I have shot a lot of bows and very, very few shot and handled as nice as the Blacktail. I will say that the Widow was for me the one bow that I would say does shoot and handle as nice. However, the beauty and craftsmanship of the Blacktail is simply second to none in my opinion.

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 10:31:00 AM »
Thanks guys. Had a chance to trade my Widow for a Blacktail, but I think I will just stick with the Widow. In my wheel days I was a trade-a-bow-aholic, but I'm going to try and avoid that with trad equipment.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 12:23:00 PM »
That would be a pretty fair trade either way.
Blacktails are harder to come by second hand than widows.

I once traded a 62" one piece widow PA for a one piece 64" Blacktail Elite.It was good trade for both parties.I liked both bows about equal.

One thing about blacktails for me personally is the longer lengths seem to work much better.They have a pretty long riser and work better in the longer lengths for me with the extra limb length.Smoother,better feel and sweeter overall shooting experience.I do have a longer draw though of 29.5-30 inches.

A 62" will not quite work for me.The 64 and 66" work superb.something to think on if you ever decide to get a blacktail.Norm Johnson shoots a 66" and he draws 30 inches or so.

I think the 62" would work fine at 28 inches draw.

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »
I draw 27" and the bow in question is 60".

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 02:18:00 PM »
On Blacktails recommended bow length to draw chart.A 27 inch draw is as high as Norm recommends for the 60 inch bow.

So it should work fine for you.I bet a 62" would feel a tad better though for  overall comfort.

It is easier to find second hand limbs or get new limbs in different lengths and poundages with the PSA Widow you have.That can be nice if you want to add additional limbs later.They will fit seamlessly without the need to have them custom made to get an exact fit like some companys bows.Thats one convenient trait about widows risers and limbs.

Blacktail limbs typically have to be custom fitted to your riser as they are not CNC machined.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©