3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Three Blade Broadheads  (Read 974 times)

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
Three Blade Broadheads
« on: July 03, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
I am looking to switch back to a three blade broadhead, and was wondering if any of you would be willing to share your thoughts on the topic???  Actually, that is a really stupid question; of course Trag Gang members are going to have opinions on this topic!

Looking at VPA 175's and Woodsmen Elites.  I believe they are made by the same producer and are razor sharp out of the package (great for those of us who are sharpening challenged!)

Others I should consider?  Recurve bows that I hunt with range from 45#'s - 53#'s at 28".

Thanks in advance....

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Three Blade Broadheads
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
No need to go any further than VPAs.  Although if you can find some original WWs with a steel adapter, you will have a perfectly acceptable BH.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
I am trying some Magnus snuffers this year because good friends have given them to me.

I hear they are pretty good on deer!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
I've got some new 175gr VPAs for use this season. They sure are easy to sharpen. Be interesting to see how they perform with my Black Widow. I'm usually a die-hard Bear razorhead fan but that's when I'm hunting with my vintage Bears.
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Offline abbatoys

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
Gonna try snuffers this year too, had good luck with original woodsmans when I used them..
62" Thunderstick Moab  52lb @ 28"
60" Bear Takedown 45lb @ 28"
60" Bear 59'er 45lb @ 28"

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
There are numerous viable choices....doubt I could recommend any one in particular that would be more lethal that what you are currently eyeing.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 10:45:00 PM »
I've had a good bit of success with snuffers. Having said that, I don't know of any trad style 3blade that's not good. VPA, snuffer woodsman, all of em work.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 10:47:00 PM »
I use VPA 175s (and others) and I find them to be a very well made and deadly broadhead.  Great blood trails have been seen with them,
ChuckC

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
VPA's and the Woodsman Elite are the same head in the heavier nonvented versions. They are some of the best 3 blades there are. Snuffers are good heads but for your bow weight they would probably be a little wide to penetrate as good as the narrower VPA's or the Woodsman. That said my number one pick for 3 blade heads is the original Woodsman on a steel adapter. They are not quite as tough as the VPA's but more than strong enough to take everything but the largest of game animals like cape and asiatic buffalo. I've only bent one original woodsman and that was my fault I bent it pulling it out of the tree. And I know for a fact I bent it and it did not bend when it hit the tree.
James Kerr

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 11:21:00 PM »
I just bought a bunch of ma3 heads.  I like them at least as well as original woodsman and real close to vpa heads.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »
I am going to use the 175 VPAs this year and would highly recommend them even though I haven't killed a deer with one. I used the WW for a long time and they are deadly. The VPA is an improved 3 blade. (I think WW new elite might be a VPA ??) I have been shooting up a 3 pack this summer. The steel is a lot tougher than the old style WW. Easy sharpen. Super precision. There is no alignment needed on carbon arrows. Just screw them on.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 08:07:00 AM »
I REALY like Razorcaps.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 08:19:00 AM »
I don't think any one  3 blade broadhead is better than the next......they all need to be as sharp as can be and they will do the job!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 08:35:00 AM »
I love vpa's but sharp right from the pack they are not , you must sharpen them up to get them hunt ready . Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »
Don't let sharpening a 3 blade intimidate you.  If there was ever a person who was sharpening challenged it was me (still am when it comes to 2 blades), but getting a killing sharp edge on the VPA's is as easy as it comes.  

They are very sharp out of the pack, but that edge can be made sharper.  And, to me, sharper is good.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 08:45:00 AM »
I use VPAs and original WWs.  They work great and are easy to sharpen.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
I used to use Razorcaps too and they're a great 3 blade head. I've been using Kustom Kings Trailmaker heads and they're the easiest head I've ever sharpened, including 2 blades. VPA produces the Trailmaker head and they come in 125 grain glue on and 145 grain screw in.  I use them with my 45 pound Super Shrew in both glue on for wood arrows and screw in with 75 grain brass inserts in a 600 size Easton Axis shaft. Probably 10 deer shot in the last 3 years with those combinations and I'm extremely happy with them.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline agtex42

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by drewsbow:
I love vpa's but sharp right from the pack they are not , you must sharpen them up to get them hunt ready . Drew
This is very true, the VPAs are a great head but they do need a little work to get them hunting sharp.  The good news is that it doesn't take much to get them there!  I use a single mill file first to ensure the bevel is even across the board and follow that with a 300 and 600 grit diamond stone.  Top all that off with some work on a leather strop with polishing compound and you'll have a razor sharp head in no time.

I've found the initial use of the file to be critical to getting the best edge on these blades.  The last two packs I've purchase were a little uneven out of the package but 5 minutes of file work got those edges perfectly flat and ready for honing!

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »
I have successfully used Woodsmans, Razorcaps and Snuffers and had no complaint with any of them.  I've shot and tested the Elites and they are mighty fine heads as well.  That said in my mind when it comes to 3 blades the discussion begins and ends with Snuffers if you have the horsepower to shoot them.  And you don't need as much steam as you might think to use Snuffers for deer sized game.

We finally have a few original Woodsmans back in stock, which would be my recommendation if you are wanting to maximize penetration in a three blade.  Those or Simmons Sharks if you want 3 blade blood trails with 2 blade penetration.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »
I've seen way too many Woodsman "screw-in" heads that have the factory glued in feral that all wobbled, snuffers and woodsman's I'd only use if I was doing the gluing..   any of the 1-piece screw in 3 blades are great,,,I have several packs of the 175gr razor caps that I will use once I get a bow that wants 175grain but they all spin true and once touched up with a ceramic rod they are as sharp as a scalpel.

I'd like to hear more about Big Jims wide 1-pc 3-blade heads and WISH he'd have them made in  250 & 200grains and the same width.

my 52# pittsley preditor recurve with 8-strand SBD string will shoot the wide 160grain snuffers with 43gr screw-in adaptor this year for deer,, 29" heritage 250 with 100gr brass insert + 203gr razor sharp and stropped snuffer, 3 - 5" natural turkey parabolic  on a one stringer wrap totaling 576 grains,,,,this arrow bare shaft tunes perfect to 30yds and other than any possible hiss from the broadhead (which I heard these designs can some times do) I'm very confident in this set up for deer.  
other bows will have the VPA's and various 2-blades.
"Us vs Them"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©