3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: scent-loc and such???  (Read 844 times)

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
scent-loc and such???
« on: July 04, 2013, 04:50:00 PM »
Anybody use scent-loc and its copiers???If so does it really work???
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: scent-loc and such???
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 04:53:00 PM »
NO & NO
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Straightshaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »
I use it and it works great.  You have to be completely covered, jacket, pants, and hat.  I even have Scent Loc boots.  Nothing is 100% but it must be close.

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 05:05:00 PM »
I use it. I figure it can't hurt anything, but I don't know how much it helps, if any. I will say I have never payed full price for any of the pieces I own. I only buy it when I can find it on sale / clearance for prices that make it comparable to similar quality hunting clothing.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »
NO, another company from Michigan that moved production to MEXICO. I say boycott for that reason alone.

Offline Gump21Bravo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
All I am going to say don't base the company off what others say. Get some and try it. If you don't like it pass it on.

Craig

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »
I hunt with a lot of folks who have been at this game a while. Not one of them uses anything resembling scentlock. But don't let that stop ya'.   :archer2:

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 05:24:00 PM »
One of my best bowhunting buddys, was a K-9 cop for 15 years, before being promoted to Detective a few years ago. He would always tell me, "Dress yourself in scent-loc, spray yourself with sent-away, carbon blast, do whatever you want to do... I'll give you a half hour,to go hide in the woods. Then Hudson(his dog) & I, WILL come find you!!!"

Bottom line..... The wind is your best friend, or your worst enemy
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
Smoke your clothes/boots and just use some additional scent killer on the boots(might not even need the scent killer honestly). There are a number of people on Trad Gang that can attest this system has gotten me ridiculously close to dozens of deer. This has worked both on public and private land. As far as I am concerned, it is a proven system.

-Charlie

FYI; The hard wood smoke contains formaldehyde and carbon. It keeps you from spreading your human scent more than needed by killing off the bacteria and adding a cover scent. A bee smoking kit can do the same thing for you.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 05:46:00 PM »
Charlie,

How do you smoke your clothes, camp fire?
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 05:49:00 PM »
I do not believe in the sent lock stuff, I tried it years ago.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 05:49:00 PM »
Yup! This guy was at about 9 yards and crossed my walk in trail just before I shot him. He had no idea I was there. This is a wary public land buck. I have been much closer to others, but messed up at the last second too many times to count   :banghead: !

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »
I wear it and I believe it doesn't work...but it does help.

There is simply no way to get rod of all our stinkiness.  However, I am a firm believer that scentlock works in helping decrease the amount of odors we spread which have been absorbed by our clothing.

Take a look at their sales pitch.  "Adsorbs Odors" only means that the clothing doesn't fill up with all the extraneous odors around us.  Adsorbs is the opposite of absorbs.  I think that is something a lot of people don't understand.
Still the best bet to not getting picked off due to your smell is to keep the wind in your face.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
I am very strict about scent control and where I enter my stands and such. These products help for sure and can give you some leeway but the only 100% sure fire fire way to beat a deer's nose is to play the wind. I will not hunt a stand if the wind is wrong even though I use scent free clothes and personal hygiene products.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »
I buy "carbon synergy" powder.. Like $8 for a bottle and you lasts all season. Its just powdered black carbon and you can use it to make anything scent loc esque. Stuff works awesome. Dip your clothea in it, smear on you, etc. Been busted 100 times before starting to use this. Was 10 yards from deer last year with the wind blowing TO them and went un busted. I dont fall for gimmicks, but this stuff is the real deal. None of the other scent sprays worked as well for me.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
Oh yeah. I even used the carbon synergy powder on dog when he got sprayed by a skunk AND used it in basement when the cat urinated in a few spots that werent his litter box. Worked IMMEDIATELY to eliminate those scents. After that, I was sold
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
Numerous experiences over a week in the backwoods living out of a pack without luxury of shower and clean clothes, but still managed to use the sun, thermals, and wind to get ridiculously close to many hunted game animals.  Someone once coined a phrase something to the effect, if the game animal can smell you, you ain't hunting it right.

Best  :)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
The only thing I ever used was a military NBC suit(charcoal lined for absorption of chemicals)It worked good. since those days I just use the wind to my advantage.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline pukwana

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
I have used the scent-loc in the past, I believe it does help reduce your scent to the point where the deer think you passed through hours ago and dont get alarmed.  I also agree 100% with the earlier post about the smoke cover scent, I have no problem sitting around the campfire in my hunting camo.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
I agree that wind and thermals are the biggest factors while IN the stand.

My point in smoking hunting gear is to minimize scent on my trail coming to and from the stands. I have had many deer cross my walk-in trail. They have yet to spook and leave the area. That is why I believe in smoking hunting gear. I think it is a good tool to minimize the human scent you leave behind while getting to and from a stand. I have had a few deer down wind and it seemed to work then as well, but I might have just had good thermals working in my favor!

That is my 2 cents,
-Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©