3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: scent-loc and such???  (Read 845 times)

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: scent-loc and such???
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 12:39:00 AM »
The problem is they have proved it doesn't work, at least not once you have to regenerate it, because it can't be regenerated. The amount of heat that would be needed would burn the clothes.

There is a way to regenerate the carbon clothes without any heat. You would need an ozone generator, I do them beginning   of every season, with a ozone generator, and it's very effective.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 12:46:00 AM »
Nope. Skunk Screen is the best stuff I have ever found. Wife hates it though. It will actually mask the human scent; I have had many deer close enough to reach out and touch them and they never knew I was there or if they did they did not distinguish the human scent. I also rub real good with cedar and sage or juniper or fir . Whatever strong smelling wood is in the area. I too make it a habit to get in the smoke of the campfire every night.

God bless, Steve

Offline bowless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 07:10:00 AM »
Quality clothing, but only the direction of the wind is going to hide your scent IMHO.
Isaiah 53:5  and with his stripes we are healed.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 07:33:00 AM »
Here in the north east hills, there are times when there is no such thing as getting down wind. The wind is always swapping directions and swirling. Scent control is a must. I don't use carbon suits, but I do use wind proof clothing and a host of other methods. I wouldn't be very successful if I didn't.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »
Another way to "smoke" your clothes is with a rig like bee keepers use, which is a... smoker.
The smoking thread was up before and someone posted a company that sold the smokers. I like the idea and will be trying it this fall with a bee keeper friends smoker.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2013, 09:04:00 AM »
I use it and believe it works. It doesn't eliminate your scent completely but it does dumb it down to levels that the animals think you are a lot farther away than you are. This gives you the advantage.
You can't hunt the wind where I hunt it changes all the time. Besides if you are hunting a food source the older animals are going to come in with the wind in their favor especially the further you are into the hunting season. If they think you are several hundred yards away and you are only 10 then you have the advantage.LCH

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2013, 09:06:00 AM »
As usual doing things in the wrong order. Do a search in Powwow for Smoke as scent control, 7 matches found.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
No and no, I know guys that smoke cigarettes in the stand and kill deer and get close to deer all the time IMHO scent control is way over rated, when I stopped being such a freak about it, I saw the same amount of deer! Just pay more attention to wind, thermals etc.....
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »
Wasn't there something about a father smoking his kids clothes and boots and I think the kid also, hid his son in the woods and let loose his hound, made a bee line for the kid, found him easy. Which brings us all back to playing the wind, I think all of these scent control technics work to an extent, they probably help in getting up close and maybe with swirling wind, but one still has to play the wind.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »
Quote "Here in the north east hills, there are times when there is no such thing as getting down wind. The wind is always swapping directions and swirling. Scent control is a must. I don't use carbon suits, but I do use wind proof clothing and a host of other methods. I wouldn't be very successful if I didn't."

X2!

If I waited to hunt till the wind was right I'd never hunt around these parts. Actually it's not that hard to fool a deers nose on wind driven scent! I too use wind proof clothing and a homemade scent killer. I think alot of folks get hung up on trailing scent as in dogs VS wind blown scent. Two entirely different problems.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2013, 11:29:00 AM »
Don't use it.

I try to stay as clean as possible and avoid as many contaminating odors as I can.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
I don't know if it matters to be smelled a lot or just a little bit, either way I don't use any scent control and try not to worry about wind direction. It just frustrates me when I do.

The wind always comes from the opposite direction as the weatherman forecasted and I can change which direction it blows just by attempting to walk with it in my face.

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
Fresh earth spray, smells like dirt. Odorless deodorant. Don't know how well they work but gives confidence. Also camo in a bag with limbs, leaves, pine etc. from the area I hunt.

Offline TraditionalGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2013, 12:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by USN_Sam1385:
I buy "carbon synergy" powder.. Like $8 for a bottle and you lasts all season. Its just powdered black carbon and you can use it to make anything scent loc esque. Stuff works awesome. Dip your clothea in it, smear on you, etc. Been busted 100 times before starting to use this. Was 10 yards from deer last year with the wind blowing TO them and went un busted. I dont fall for gimmicks, but this stuff is the real deal. None of the other scent sprays worked as well for me.
I picked some up and will be trying it out for the first time in a couple of weeks. I sprayed down my clothing with it, dusted a container with it, layered my clothes in the container while dusting some more, and then sealed the container ready for the hunt. I'll report back my thoughts after the first season here in California.

Quick question though: Does it permanently stain your clothing and gear black, or does that wear off?
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.”
H. L. Mencken

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2013, 01:11:00 PM »
I don't buy the premise of Scent-Loc or other similar clothing.  Everything I've read that had a bit of science behind it says it is impossible to regenerate the carbon with home-based appliances.  Besides, wouldn't the carbon in the clothing be saturated with scent just hanging on the rack?

I'll stick with clean clothes, a clean body, and hope the wind cooperates...lol.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2013, 01:23:00 PM »
I spend my money on other things.  I think that the scent control is too minimal to be a factor.  I bought it when it first came out in the very early '90's when It was just a greenish/grey suit that you wore just under your camo.  I didn't notice a difference.

My advise......play the wind, spend the extra $200 on arrows and broadheads.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2013, 01:38:00 PM »
I don't buy the premise or the product.
Would rather throw my money away on other stuff.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
I can't hold my breath long enough for sent lock to work..
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
Play the wind. I shot a cow elk at 8 feet-the arrow was still in paradox. There were 2 more elk upwind at this time neither of whom picked up my scent. You have to keep track of the wind at all times and be prepared to make changes as the wind shifts. I put on 'camp clothes' as soon as I'm done hunting, and step in cow pies and non predator poop through the day as I am hunting, and best is to step in the poop of what you are after.

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2013, 07:21:00 PM »
like woodchucker said......they will smell you period......all that high dollar fancy stuff "may" give you an advantage, but I just watch my "wind feather"......my German Shepherd has trailed me after two days, and she don't make her living in the woods.......  :dunno:
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©