3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do YOU scout Whitetails through out the year?  (Read 485 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do YOU scout Whitetails through out the year?
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by VictoryHunter:
Also google earth and topo maps are your best friends       :D  
Very useful indeed.  These tools will usually bring me to great areas, no lucky stumbling needed.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 07:42:00 PM »
Actualy, I've never been one to "Google", But...

If you go on "google earth" Look at a piece of property & find the old stone walls. Any old "Bar Gate" in a stone wall, is almost a guaranted deer crossing!!!

I've never found a bar gate deer didn't like!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
My scouting now primarily revolves around locating bedding areas. Easiest to do right after season. But I've also learned some things at Uncle Barry's boot camp to incorporate.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2013, 11:00:00 PM »
I've got satellite pics of all my spots.  one of these years, I'd love to get to Uncle Barry's Boot Camp!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
i kinda quit scouting, its so hit or miss here. you can scout n some guy comes along n sit beside you anyhow or hangs a stand in the spot you scouted out. i go for couple walks the week before season and scout while i hunt during the season and leave it at that. i have scouted my little heart out over the years an the results are always the same. winter would be best time just after all seasons.. but im out jigging fish up through a frozen lake at that time. i hunt state land so if i was on private it think your scouting would improve your chances tremendously just so you dont keep bumping deer or letting too much scent around.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sean B:
I've got satellite pics of all my spots.  one of these years, I'd love to get to Uncle Barry's Boot Camp!!
i belive they about to stop doing that? better hurry. but i would enjoy that also!!

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:
I'm always looking, stumping, fishing or whenever I get out. The bad thing in this neck of the woods is the deer numbers are so low that they never are consistent in their feeding habits...they can eat anywhere. Then in the fall it's all about the mast. Acorns and Beech nut and some wild apples....if we have them it can be good....if we don't, it's a tough hunt ever time! But all areas are different, just spend as much time as time allows.......
i know your pains!    :knothead:

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2013, 09:06:00 AM »
I'd love to be scouting now but with the deer ticks so bad on long island i wait until late Aug/ Sept to go in the woods since by then the nymph ticks will be gone. The nymph ticks are so small you just can't see them and I don't want to get lyme disease.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
Great tips.  I have a spot that's been hard by "Sandy".  A LOT of blow downs, I haven't been in there lately to see how it had effected their movement.  It is a big open hardwood lot with a lot of benches and saddles.  The last 12 years, its been my "honey whole".
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
Sean,Irene did the same thing in some of my hunting spots.The whole upper half of a white oak borke off and fell right on the main trail in front of my favorite stand.Spent a good part of a day clearing it out.Killed a 144" and the buck in my avatar outta that tree,so I wanna keep that trail open.
I stump shoot my bow hunting areas and do a lot of scouting while I am.Late Winter-Early Spring seems best as things haven't greened up yet and the woods are a bare blueprint.Rubs,scrapes,trails,bedding areas etc. are all easier to spot.The more time you spend looking over your property and paying attention the more you will learn how the deer use it.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
Jeff, this stop has been unreal for me.  It seems like every other tree is a white oak.  I've taken a bunch of good bucks out of there including a 135"er with double brows.  I've seen a bunch of others that were JUST out of range. Theres a low spot about 100 yrds w X 400 yrds L that it seems all the trees got knocked down.  I might be able to set up a good ground spot there.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
Sounds like that piece has been good to you,just might have to hunt it a little different with all the trees down now.Goodluck this season.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©