3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowfishing the Austin Area  (Read 200 times)

Offline twostrings

• Trad Bowhunter
Bowfishing the Austin Area
« on: July 05, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'm starting to get a little restless waiting for the heat to die down and deer season to begin. I've only been bow fishing once, and was thinking about giving it another try, but I'm a little clueless as to where to start here in the Austin area.

Does anyone have any experience bow fishing around ATX? If so, would you mind pointing me in the general direction of where I could try my luck? I've got access to a small boat, more of a hybrid canoe/kayak, but I'm also willing to try from shore.

Thank you in advance,
Matthew

Re: Bowfishing the Austin Area
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
Thaere are lots of good lakes around here. Lake Austin is a real good one because it is constant level. Travis is good if the water is clear but you have to check LCRA rules (they have some funny rules on the Highland Lakes). Also, the Colorado river is a good place and there are alligator gar too. If you branch out a bit, there is Lake Belton and Stillhouse Hollow to the north and Lake Dunlop in New Braunfels.

Bisch

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 11:22:00 PM »
I'm in Round Rock... If you need a bow fishing partner let me know!

Offline twostrings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 12:14:00 PM »
Bisch, thanks for all the information! I'm excited to hear there are so many different options! Do you suggest shooting from a boat on all the places you mentioned?

Juneau, I'd love a bow fishing partner. Things like this are always more fun with more people. I'm currently in the middle of moving, so it might be a few weeks until I can pull away.

Matthew

Offline Centex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 12:54:00 PM »
I am hoping to hit the gar spawn on Buchanan next spring. Just going to use a canoe for transportation and an old a frame ladder as a elevated stand in the shallows.  The Colorado river south of Austin has a lot of public access points and some real nice shallow sections. The LCRA asks that you print out a page of rules and regulations that you carry with you while on the lake.  The rules are not that restrictive, it's just a way for them to acknowledge that you have read the rules.  I also saw some pictures of fish from the San Gabriel on here sometime recently. Good luck
Howard Hill Halfbreed "Sol" 68" 50@29
Hoyt Buffalo 62" 45@28"

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
Hey Bisch, can you bowfish Lake Georgetown?

Offline Centex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
I have.  It has quantity not quality.  Lots of carp and small gars.  The rocky banks on either side of the dam held a lot of fish.
Howard Hill Halfbreed "Sol" 68" 50@29
Hoyt Buffalo 62" 45@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©