3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow case recommendations for airlines  (Read 243 times)

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow case recommendations for airlines
« on: July 05, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »
T-Gangers,

I need some recommendations for a bow case(s) for airline travel for my upcoming fall elk trip.  One bow will be a three piece recurve and the other will be a two piece longbow.

Currently, I have been looking at the Plano All Weather Takedown gun case model 108360, however I would rather hear from the crew since I know you guys will stear me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow case recommendations for airlines
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
Rick,

I use a padded case and put them in my travel bag it has a bottom section and the cases fit in there well and I put cloths on the bottom and top of them. Both of mine are 3 piece though, one recurve and one longbow. Works very well for me and I do not have to have an extra piece of luggage to pay for.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »
I do it just like Danny.  Great protection for the bows, and avoids the expense of an extras piece of baggage.  You'll want a bag that is long enough for a tube of arrows as well. A rolling hard bottom, soft top bag is ideal.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »
I use a military seabag.  Added a 10 inch section for longer bow limbs.  Boots on bottom, pvc tube with bow and arrows in center, clothes packed around the tube.  Pack on top, locked and gone.  Can even be loaded on a pack horse easily
Ask your airline if they charge for golf bags, some do not.  A hard case for golg clubs makes a great, protected carrier for bows, arrow and hunting gear.
Baggage handlers have a hard time damaging golf club carriers
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
I had some bow socks custom made by "Sack Up's" that work excellent for putting right in your suit case.

Offline ausjim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 12:17:00 AM »
Ditto Danny and Whip. A zip up soft case that also carries all my accessories right in the centre of my biggest suitcase and surrounded by tightly packed clothes. No problems.

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 08:44:00 AM »
I've packed my 3 piece recurve bow into a bow sock and surround with clothes in a 30"x 16"x 14" lightweight rolling duffle. Also I include 8 arrows in an Easton arrow tube, extra boots, clothes, hunting gear and camping gear in this duffle and remain under 50#. I use my backpack as a carry on.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 08:56:00 AM »
I had  a PVC tube. Put my 2 piece longbow in a sock, twisted the middle and put inside the tube.  The tube had caps and stuck in my checked baggage.  I had a second tube for my arrows.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 09:50:00 AM »
Kathy Kelly soft case in my duffle bag. Arrows in a arrow case in the duffle bag.  Some guys ship there bow there. Put heavy stuff in your carry on.
Schafer Silvertip

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 06:19:00 PM »
Rod Jenkins uses a baseball bag with all his bows for his clinics in individual soft cases. I'm always amazed how much stuff he can stuff into the bag.
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 06:26:00 PM »
I use a Pelican hardcase with wheels and handles for my recurves. My arrows and accessories also go in the case. There are two lock places on the case and Black Widow sells special locks for this case. Not for everyone, but for me the peace of mind is worth the money.

Regards,
Grouse

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 01:57:00 PM »
my advice is ship it ahead of your hunt, if you have an outfitter or contact out there.  Dont deal with the dingdongs at the airports.

Dave

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
I use an SKB case.  They are pricey but absolutely top notch quality.  Mine has the wheels so it can roll through the airport.  It also has enough extra room in it that I can carry a lot of my hunting gear in it along with the bow and arrows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©