3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How fast is fast?  (Read 3829 times)

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How fast is fast?
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2013, 11:58:00 PM »
Deer don't buy bows but hunters both buy bows and shoot them. To this day I have never had a single hunter that wanted to buy a slow bow. Never. Therefor , I will build the fastest bow I can build that is well mannered, Quiet and accurate.
God bless you all, Steve

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2013, 02:28:00 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Deer don't buy bows but hunters both buy bows and shoot them. To this day I have never had a single hunter that wanted to buy a slow bow. Never. Therefor , I will build the fastest bow I can build that is well mannered, Quiet and accurate."
God bless you all, Steve

Quoted for absolute truth. I never seen someone posting about their pride and joy and start out by saying, "she is sold, stable, and sooooooo slow", man, what a dream bow!" Thats why all the comments that "speed doesnt matter", rings of severe hypocrisy.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2013, 06:09:00 AM »
Give a archer a bow that he can shoot BARESHAFTS consistantly well and another that's faster that he can't.Then you'll see an archer buy the slower bow!

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2013, 07:43:00 AM »
Dont understand your point. Why would a faster bow not shoot a bare shaft consistantly?
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2013, 07:55:00 AM »
I saw a TV commercial last nite. A group of 7 yr. olds sitting around a table were asked a question. Whats better, faster or slower. It was unanamous. Faster was better. I'm going with faster.
Tom

Offline Weasel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »
Define slow. 175 fps? I'll take a quiet, stable, bow that's a few fps slower than a noisy bow any day. In my experiences (been at it since '89), the faster a bow is, the more release errors are magnified. Why do you think compounders started going to release aids in the early 90's? The faster the bows became, the more critical the releases became.

Originally posted by duncan idaho:
Dont understand your point. Why would a faster bow not shoot a bare shaft consistantly?
IMHO, release errors. Wouldn't you rather shoot a slower bow consistently than a faster bow erratically?

I'm not saying don't shoot a fast bow. I'm saying don't dis on folks who prefer consistent results over speed. Which is the gist of what Brackenbury was saying. I've killed a lot of deer with my 175 fps longbow. It's quiet and forgiving of my release errors. Stable. Sixby, your statement is key; a blend of speed, manners, and quietness. I think that designing a bow SOLELY for speed is folly.
I have a free roaming, ranging mind -- sometimes it reports back to me...
---------------------------

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »
Overbo, understand your statement and agree 100% with you. If you can shoot the bow consistently usually it also stabile, smooth, and forgiving of your mistakes, thats worth a little speed to me. While I have no problem with speed it holds very little importance to me as I previously stated, different strokes for different folks I guess.

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2013, 11:57:00 AM »
My new bow is SO FAST....that my fiance can't even see it coming!!!!!  :laughing:

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
First, Jerry the case has not  been made that a bows speed is the culprit that causes inaccuracy/ It definitely is continually alluded to and I suspect that it comes because many times bows were built strictly for speed and that the other necessary attributes of quietness and stableness and shootability were neglected.

Because poor bowyers built fast bows does not make this a law.

I respect both Steve and Jerry. I do not agree with their hypothesis that fast bows are inheriently poor or inferior shooters. In fact I do not agree that even moderately fast bows are superior to really fast bows when both are built properly.

The fact is that there are some very quick bows being built right now that completely dis-annul both Jerry and Steves comments. In fact since Steve is a Habu proponent I cannot see where his comments come from at all. Are you saying that Habu is less in any department than some of the other bows being made today? I doubt that. So here we have a fast bow owner and proponent advocating for slower bows.

Now this is puzzling.

Lookmomnosights:My new bow is SO FAST....that my fiance can't even see it coming!!!!!

I nominate this as the quote of the year.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »
Yes Steve,
That's exactly what I'm saying.The Habu I have is far from the fastest bow I've owned or shot.It is the the most accurate though.It also CAST a arro consistantly better than any bow I've shot to date.
IMO,
This is the problem I see alot.A bowyer makes a wicked fast bow but sacrifices shootabilty.Yes there are superior archers that shoot these speed demands well but I'm not one of them and I would guess that a large % of trad shooters aren't.

As mentioned above,
Which is better,fast or slow.Neither,consistancy is better.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by overbo:
This is the problem I see alot.A bowyer makes a wicked fast bow but sacrifices shootabilty.....
I have a couple question for you overbo. You see this problem a lot, and i'd like to understand it better.... Personally i take a lot of pride in building high performance bows, and i can't see how a bowyer CAN build a "Wicked fast bow" without the proper balance and stability required to get the extra horse power. Can you explain that to me?

Of course if you shoot lighter weight shafts that are not properly balanced and tuned to the bow the arrow flight is going to be more sensitive to a less than perfect release. and.... those light weight shafts require an excellent release to bare shaft them..... my second question to you is:

What is the purpose of bare shafting, and why is it you have problems tuning arrows with a higher performance bow?

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »
I've always heard it best to get the arrow off the string quick as possible for best accuracy. High brace height does that and seems like a fast set of limbs would do the same. More time the arrow is on the string more time for human error.

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »
this is getting good.....   :campfire:    :campfire:    :campfire:
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »
I'll take that performance!

Kris

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »
the two fastest bows I own are also the most consistent shooters. speed and consistency are definitely not incompatible.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2013, 04:01:00 PM »
The fastest bow I have ever owned was a sovereign ballistick.  It was also smooth, quiet, and as accurate as the archer.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
Kirk,
You didn't ask the purpose of bare shafting?LOL

I guess I'm not one of those better archers that never has form or release problems.Bows w/ low brace and alot of preload in the limbs seem sensative to my shooting style.

I did have the pleasure of shooting one of your bows at Balt.Love the looks but I have bows I shoot more confidently w/ and that's bottom line for me.No matter how quick it shoots.

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
My long bow scales 57# at my draw i shoot a 550 grain arrow at 194-196 fps,  who cares! All I care about is the fact that it shoots any material arrow I put on the string right where I am looking, accuracy trumps everything else who gives a "expletive" if your bow is faaaast, quite or anything else if you cannot consistently put every single arrow in an effective kill zone of the animal you are pursuing! I have seen wayyy too many people who "think" they can shoot a stickbow, truth be told a lot of guys who do shoot traditional have no business even taking it to the woods! Before I start to ramble, bottom line is accuracy is the only thing that matters, and that is solely dependent on ones ability to shoot, be conscious of tuning and to be REALISTIC about the ranges to shoot (there are a lot of guys who are lying to themselves)
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Online katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by gringol:

Originally posted by katman:
cbCrow "So lets put this question in its proper perspective with simple math"

Proper perspective for me is to shoot arrows A and C at distances and really see the differences in trajectory, real world stuff. For me the math is nice but 4.4 hundredths of a second is a number that is hard translate into trajectory change. On the other hand at 15yds you won't see a lot of difference in trajectory between A and C but go to 30yds and things change a bunch.

Back to the question 180 is quick 190+ is very fast at 10gppm @28".
The difference between 160 and 190 fps at 15 yds is 7" of arrow drop.  At 25 yds it's 18".  That is the math. [/b]
Thanks gringol

cbCrow, sorry if I irritated you.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »
On a lighter note ,really really fast is when you accidentally fart and it leaves some extra baggage in your underwear    :bigsmyl:
This reminds me on the old saying to never trust a fart.   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©