3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Bikes  (Read 1305 times)

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting Bikes
« on: July 06, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »
Who has a bike for hunting with?  I've got so much leg problems I can't count on walking half the time.  So I finally figured I'd try a bike, an E Bike.

The bike is a Fat Sand Bike.  It's a Fat E Monster 750W.    :readit:    Here's a pic of how she came..... [/url] [/IMG]

Well figured she needed some help so me and my buddy Marv got to it.  Do some taping, then a bunch of spraying... Here's how the camo job came out.... [/url] [/IMG]

And here's she is all loaded up, at least with bow and quiver and lotsa extra room..... [/url] [/IMG]

I've gotta pretty good light with battery pack  up on the front rack.  Got my Sony camcorder with 60X zoom mounted up top on the bars, and room for my gps.

Overall I really like it, makes pedaling a breeze, and the front wheel drive really helps to pull you up and over stuff.

So who else has a bike fixed up ??  :archer:    :archer2:

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Bikes
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 07:10:00 PM »
I like that!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 07:44:00 PM »
Been planning something like that to one the several mountain bikes we have at the house.

Like it!

Eric

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
Does a Harley count?  Don't even need to peddle.  Rather loud for sneaking into my hunting area though.  :bigsmyl:

Offline tkytrac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
My HD is bright red and shakes the leaves when I get close to the trees. We did ride on a turkey hunt this year, but alas both Harleys had to stay in the drive outside the woodlot.
I have a Trek (bicycle)w/ a gun rack on the bars to carry my bow. It works OK except when I try to pull my buck out of the woods. Of the 21 speeds, I still haven't found the one that makes the task doable. LOL.    :biglaugh:
Charter Member of Compton Traditonal Bowhunters
Recording Secretary for Michigan Longbow Association
Associate Editor of MLA's STICKTALK Magazine

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
I have a bike I rigged up years ago to hunt WMA Land. They have some gravel roads that made pedaling rather easy. Sure was better than walking the 2 miles in. Killed 2 deer with it. I had a friend who went to garage sales alot look for one. He got one for $15. I painted it and put new knobby tires and a new seat on it. Served me well.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline jax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
It's too steep here to ride. Lance Armstrong cudnt get up these hills in WV.

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
If you do kill a deer how do you get it out of the woods?
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
I was just thinking about this. Would love to see some more pics.

Would also like to see some bike trailers if anyone has them.

Offline hunthold

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
That's a cool bike. I use one alot for turkey hunting to cover alot of ground on management areas.

How long does the battery last ? Does it do well on inclines without petaling ?

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 11:44:00 PM »
Now THAT, is COOL!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't rode a bike in years..... Last time I did, (about 10 years ago, after a 20 year break) I damn near broke my neck, LMAO!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 12:08:00 AM »
Watched an elk hunting video called "30 Days" and they ride mountain bikes back in roads closed to autos and have trailers they pull behind them and cart the quartered elk out with them, one of those would handle a deer easy behind this bike!!!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Xander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 12:48:00 AM »
Had a Honda Trail 90 for a while, that was an awesome rig for hunting.  It could drag a deer out no problem.
-Xander

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 06:25:00 AM »
I've never seen a bike like that. Front wheel drive to boot. Really well done. That's a neat seat.
I bought a Mtn. bike last year to rig up and then my hip went bad and finally had a replacement done. Sooo, this year maybe get the bike set up.
We have a lot of trails on our land here, figure the bike is a quick, quiet and scent free way to get about.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 07:50:00 AM »
We'll I'll be..........didn't know they made electric bikes like that.  Is the electric on all the time or can you turn in on and off when you want the extra umph? Pretty slick.

I use a conventional hybrid bike for workouts but have a Rokon for more power  :)
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 08:53:00 AM »
Does the rear tire spin mud and debris up through the wire baskets all over your bow and gear?
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline pcg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 09:00:00 AM »
I'm puzzled that you can't walk easily, but can mountain bike. Doesn't biking over terrain require the same or similar muscles? Hope you're not taking bikes into serious wilderness areas.
-1 John Schulz RH bows
-2 TimberHawk Monarchs LH, RH
-3 GP Swift T/Ds, LH & RH; GP Long Curve RH
-3 Dave Miller longbows LH, RH
-3 Rempp selfbows

'Bow' in Greek means life but its work is death. -Heraclitus

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 09:22:00 AM »
How does the front wheel drive work? I see what looks like a cable going from the sprocket to the front wheel.Is that what powers the wheel? And what brand is your bike.My wife and I are thinking about getting a couple of fat tire bikes,thats the reason for all the questions.She does alot of riding.

Thanks
Al

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 09:29:00 AM »
Nice bike.  Been using one for few years, with my bad back and knee.  Guys/gals it is well worth it and get's you back into area quicker and less sweating.  And yes, you can pull a tote behind it or just drag the deer, gotta work to get going but then piece of cake.

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 09:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by pcg:
I'm puzzled that you can't walk easily, but can mountain bike. Doesn't biking over terrain require the same or similar muscles? Hope you're not taking bikes into serious wilderness areas.
The electric bike will help tremedously for anyone with leg trouble. My bike was one you could only peddle so it wouldn't work for guys with leg trouble but for me it was a matter of time savings and quietness. On the type gravel roads that I used to ride on, walking was noisier than riding a bike. Other advantages were: 1) Less energy to cover the same distance, 2) Less sweat thus scent,(this is Louisiana by the way) 3) Gear weight distributed on the bike instead of all on your body, (i.e. bow in rack, tree stand on shoulders but resting on rack above back tire, fanny pack strapped to front handlebars.) Many advantages to bikes if the terrain and laws allow IMHO.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©